PDA

View Full Version : Myst 4 on Linux

sloof3
11-13-2004, 01:08 PM
I am primarily a Linux user but I love these Myst games. Sadly Ubi does not port to Linux.

I was wondering if anyone knew of plans for a Linux release of Myst 4. Since OSX is already supported a jump to Linux shouldn't be as hard as a a Windows -> Linux port.

I know wine/cedega is an option but I doubt the performance would be as great and would contain many bugs.

--Sloof3

johnmiked15
11-13-2004, 05:23 PM
it would be great if myst IV were ported to linux. I definitely support this idea.

realXCV
11-13-2004, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Since OSX is already supported a jump to Linux shouldn't be as hard as a a Windows -> Linux port. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
not sure...

Linux doesn't have Aqua. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

maztec
11-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Great idea. Not going to happen.

And jumping from OSX to Linux is fairly significant.

Maz

Syked4
11-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Damb!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

nielsvaes
11-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Forgive my Belgian igorance, but I thought the Myst games were so significant because it was first made on a Mac... ? Or was that just the original Myst and were the other games first released on Windows?

maztec
11-15-2004, 02:30 PM
All Myst games up to this point in time have been released for Mac. Except the non-myst myst game Uru, which is PC only.

But that still excludes Linux (and yes I'm a Linux user).

ChaoticCoyote
11-15-2004, 02:35 PM
My business runs on Linux; all of my clients use Linux.

I'd love to have professional Linux games -- but it won't happen. The economic incentive simply isn't there; companies that have released games for Linux have not shown a profit (yes, even UT and Doom3).

There *are* more Linux systems than Macs these days, but the majority of those systems are servers, not end-user machines. Linux lacks a complete multimedia layer. And Linux users tend to be "free" software zealots who won't pay for software anyway.

I dual-boot my P4 box into Windows for only one purpose these days: gaming. And that works well-enough for me.

maztec
11-15-2004, 03:31 PM
yup, same here. Dual boot one linux system into win2k for the purpose of gaming and some limited multimedia stuff that linux doesn't support or doesn't have a package I care for - oh and for testing my work :P

Almlys
11-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Well, there are other companies that write ports for Linux. id software for example. It's only a question of market, some companies sees the number of potencial people that they could lose for not releasing ports for other platforms.
Linux & Mac are the future, I have here only two machines with windows, dedicated only for Uru and gaming, all the other systems are running Linux.

The next machine that I'm going to buy is going to be my first Mac, one of my friends has one, and is really a nice OS.

I don't have any other title from Ubisoft, and I don't have plans to buy them. Myst it's only an exception that forces me to have this hateful os installed.

Also, if it wasn't for the Uru Beta I think that I wouldn't have never purchased Uru or Myst IV.

larsschermer
11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Lucas arts has done some work for Linux. Jedi knight 2 (Jedi outcast) was released for Linux.

i would love to play myst on Linux. i support the idea but i doubt it will happen.
oh and porting between osX and Linux is NOT that big a deal. as long as the source(the game) runes some of the same subroutines (and it does) the main problem is from windows to linux is the file system and the way windows access CPU and RAM. OSX and Linux does that i a fairly similar way. so by comparison a Linux port from a osx version is not that big a problem, a port from windows would be a lager one.

maztec
11-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Lars, true enough.. Except that Mac does have some better graphic libraries available to it than Linux does at the moment :P That's what you get for having a staff of developers on hand that are paid.