PDA

View Full Version : New FreeTrack v 2.1 out now

williek
10-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Get it while it's hot boys!

http://www.free-track.org/

shiffty89
10-05-2007, 10:28 PM
hi ive been wondering if i should just get track-ir as ive tried the web cam thing before with lack of LEDs. Im going to try this and ive DL how to set up my headset with the Led but the instructions are very good lol.

Is it a matter of getting wire putting an LED at the end and hooking up a 9v battery, in il2s case for 2DOF?

tonedog2005
10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
ive just found out about this but its looks like a real pain to get it goin. how hard is it to set up?

williek
10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Actually not too bad, check out the big discussion here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7971090385

Codger1949
10-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by tonedog2005:
ive just found out about this but its looks like a real pain to get it goin. how hard is it to set up?

It's no harder than trackir to configure. With Il-2 all you need is one led. Use infra red. If you know how to solder it's pretty easy. Radio shack has all the parts you need.

tonedog2005
10-09-2007, 01:13 AM
well i dont know how to solder. dont u need tools to do that?

is there an alternative method to soldering?

Codger1949
10-09-2007, 05:34 AM
All you need is a five dollar soldering iron and a little solder. It's easy. Just do a google search on how to do it. Practise the technique a little bit so you don't fry the resistor or led and you'll be up and running in a jiffy. Basically all you do is get the iron hot. Wait five minutes for a heatup. Get the wire and the component lead touching each other, place the solder on the joint where the wire and component lead are touching, touch the end of the solder with the hot iron. Just touch enough for the solder to melt a little blob of solder on the joint and remove the iron. Wait for the solder joint to cool and harden and voila, mission accomplished. Like I said, easy. Just practice a little first with just two wires. Too much heat applied to the component lead too long can damage the component (led or resistor).

acewinger
10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
For single point tracking, all you need is a small LED pen light.

jluisv
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
To whomever it may be useful, I'll share my experience:

Yesterday night I went and bought the cheapest webcam in RadioShack.

I installed FreeTrack 2.1 and the webcam. Once I had the webcam running I went to freetrack and off the bat I had 008 FPS and 1 or 2 jitter occasionally. I tried many things and nothing had an effect on FPS with one exception: exposure.

I disabled auto exposure and set exposure to 3 (out of a 255 scale on my webcam SW) and FPS went all the way to 29.

All kinds of IR noise was picked up by freetrack so I placed a piece of photo negative in front of the webcam and it all went away. I used the remote control of my home stereo to test and it tracked pretty well.

I then picked up a red led and a 100Ω resistor (it was what I had on hand so it was not specific choice) I soldered the resistor to the led's positive and soldered some wire at each end. I isolated it all with tape.

I then taped this to an old Nokia cell phone charger I had lying around and plugged it to a wall contact. It lit so everything was ok.

Finally I taped this rig to an old baseball cap so the led would be at the tip of the visor.

I tested it and it tracked just as good as the IR led from the remote control. The only issue is when the led is more sideways to the webcam it is not as bright (due to its shape). This was also the case with the IR led on the remote control, so I think I need to file it so it has a flat top and maybe I'll replace the Nokia charger (3.7V) to an adjustable one so I can put 5V through the led rig.

It took all of 45 minutes from the time I arrived home to the time I had it all working

I went to test on hiperlobby and I'm pleased to say it worked very well. I believe with an IR led with the top flattened and 5V going through I'll have the final setup with 0 issues.

Sokol__1
10-17-2007, 05:48 PM
so I think I need to file it so it has a flat top and maybe

Tip from Freetrack forum:

Flatened the LED whit sand papper.

S!

Sokol1