PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophones / Deck guns / & History

U6969
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Bunch of questions, I hope I can ask them all in one discussion, I didn't want to post a whole bunch of them.

Hydrophones - KDB upgrade. Decided not to upgrade due to the comment about damage due to depth charges, right or wrong decision?

Hydrophone operator - What does the "Normal Sweep" command do? I have tried it on several occasions and I can't see that it does anything.

Can you detonate a fuel bunker in a ship with deckgun fire and as a result sink it with fewer rounds.

Career Path & Historical Timeline - If I were on patrol during the timeline of the Dunkirk evacuation for example would the sim depict the increased traffic in the area due to the historical events that took place at that time?

HW3
12-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Answer to your first question=wrong
KDB eliminates the 10 degree dead spot in front of your boat.

U6969
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Ok that is the advantage but is that nullified by over sensitivity to depth charge attack. If you are blind you may as well return to port.

U6969
12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
If the sim depicted the dead spot I should not be able to hear a contact directly in front of me but I have followed many contacts that were directly in front of me with no loss of the ability of hearing their noise.

U6969
12-13-2007, 02:08 AM
a self serving bump in an attempt to get more responses

Kaleun1961
12-13-2007, 07:07 AM
I've found the increased detection range of the upgraded unit more of an advantage in finding targets. The increased tonnage vs. liability to damage ratio is worth it, in my opinion. I have had my hydrophones knocked out on a few occasions, but considering that I had done some serious damage to a convoy in the meantime, I think it was worth it. Anything which enhances your ability to detect targets increases your odds of sinking enemy tonnage, which is why we are putting to sea. I suggest you try experimenting with a throw-away career to test this on your own.

I think the normal sweep command tells the operator to sweep the surrounding area in an attempt to find any contacts. The other orders tell him to report merchant contacts only or warship contacts only. While he can find distant convoys or single ships on his own, he is not as good as your own ear can be. This is why many players do their own sound checks, periodically diving, shutting down engines and slowly sweeping the seas around them. I have picked up the sounds of distant convoys and single ships this way, earlier than my own operator can. His efficiency is also affected by qualifications and experience. One of the first qualifications should assign is for the radio/hydrophone operator. In the stock game, you can award one qualification per patrol. With the SH3 Commander add-on, you can assign qualifications to more than one crew member per patrol.

Deckgun fire can result in catastrophic loss of the ship in stock SH3. Various mods affect the damage model in different ways in an attempt to more realistically sink a ship by flooding as opposed to sinking a ship by destroying a magical number of hit points after which it goes boom! and sinks. Most ships sank from flooding of compartments. Well, all of them did in actuality, as that is what sinks a ship, too much water inside the hull. Catastrophic damage, whilst spectacular, merely opens up the innards of the ship to flooding. Mods like the Grey Wolves alter the original damage model, which relies on a given ship being able to take "x" amount of damage to sink. One can pound the same upper part of the hull repeatedly, with each hit inflicting so many hit points, until the magic number is reached and the ship is destroyed. Very unrealistic, which is why mods have been created to get ships in the game to sink from flooding. With a mod like Grey Wolves, you must breach compartments, either by torpedo or deck gun fire aimed below the waterline. If you are interested in a more challenging and realistic game experience, I suggest you tackle a mod like Grey Wolves, NYGM or the like.

Operation Dynamo, to the best of my knowledge, is not featured in stock SH3. There are supermods which include increased shipping in the English Channel during this period of the game.