PDA

View Full Version : Don't think this is modeled, but it's neat!

VonKlugermon
11-03-2005, 05:30 PM
From Kermit Week's "Fantasy of Flight" website talking about his Wildcat:

"Kermit Comment

The Wildcat has an interesting flap system that is activated by the vacuum system in the airplane and is also used to spin the gyro instruments for instrument flying. Instead of using positive pressure to operate the flap cylinder, this aircraft uses negative pressure or suction. A large tank in the rear of the aircraft stores the negative air pressure. At higher speeds, the negative pressure does not create enough force to overcome the air loads to lower the flaps. It will not hurt the system, as in some aircraft, to put the flaps down at high speed. They just simply won€t come down! Pilots could use this to their advantage in a dogfight and could select the flap handle down before engaging another aircraft. If during the dogfight the airplane happened to slow down below a certain speed, the flaps would creep out. The more the aircraft slowed down, the more flap would creep out. This gave the Wildcat a tighter turning radius, which was a major advantage in a dogfight, as they could potentially turn inside their opponent and get on his tail."

I know that if your airspeed is to high and you select flaps down, the flaps extend, then immediately retract. But would be neat if they would creep down as he states, working somewhat like slats.

Willy

Sturm_Williger
11-04-2005, 03:56 AM
This implies that if you get a bullet or two in that vacuum tank, you can't deploy flaps ?

Does anyone know if there was a backup ( manual ? ) system ?

Dash_C.
11-04-2005, 05:29 AM
Wow, that's really interesting! I've been to the "Fantasy of Flight" museum before but I missed this.

major_setback
11-04-2005, 07:53 AM
I had noticed that flaps wouldn't deploy at high speed, but I'd never thought of this as being an advantage...I'll have to try it now, in-game (don't they just automatically raise though, and stay raised if the speed is too high?).

VonKlugermon
11-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by major_setback:
I had noticed that flaps wouldn't deploy at high speed, but I'd never thought of this as being an advantage...I'll have to try it now, in-game (don't they just automatically raise though, and stay raised if the speed is too high?).

As far as I can tell, you are correct, they just don't deploy. However, once you select flaps down, if you could somehow model this "creep down" behavior, (model it on the ME109 slat behavior, perhaps?) that would be cool!

Willy

Stigler_9_JG52
11-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes, Sturmwilliger, I believe there were a couple of manual controls in the cockpit for just such an eventuality.

OMK_Hand
11-04-2005, 04:08 PM
It works if your flaps are on a slider http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Put them down and they go up as advertised when the speed builds, then come down again when the speed slackens off.