PDA

View Full Version : Just read. "Royal Navy Aces of WW2"

JSG72
04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok. Whilst reading Royal Navy Aces of WW2 by Andrew Thomas. A couple of quotes struck me as being the kind of things that keep getting brought up within this Forum. Causing many a lengthy thread.

1)page 61.From. 11 Victory Ace Lt Cdr Stan Orr recalls "The Hellcat was without a doubt the best and most popular,naval fighter of the period. It suffered none of the Corsair's stall and visibility problems. Being an easyaircraft both to fly and deck land. It bestowed upon its pilot immense confidence, which was an important thing in those days, as you usually had your hands more than full coping with the enemy".

2) Page 72 Maj Ronnie Hay( The Top marine Ace ) Quotes " The Corsair was just the right aircraft for that war. It was certainly better than any thing we had and an improvement on the Hellcat. It was more robust and faster and although the Japanese could out-turn us in combat. We could out-climb, out-dive and out-gun him.

Well! what can I say Two Ace pilots with different opininions on aircraft performance/practicality/Usefulness against the enemy.
Quotes from either, could halt any 12 page Comparison thread in the past.

Orr. was flying the Hellcat in North Seas environment. Whilst Hay. was flying against the Japanese.

Another book that has given me an insight into a part of the war I was less informed about. Nice to read abut one of my Old favourites The Fairy Fulmars and their contributions within the Med Theatre. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

JSG72
04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok. Whilst reading Royal Navy Aces of WW2 by Andrew Thomas. A couple of quotes struck me as being the kind of things that keep getting brought up within this Forum. Causing many a lengthy thread.

1)page 61.From. 11 Victory Ace Lt Cdr Stan Orr recalls "The Hellcat was without a doubt the best and most popular,naval fighter of the period. It suffered none of the Corsair's stall and visibility problems. Being an easyaircraft both to fly and deck land. It bestowed upon its pilot immense confidence, which was an important thing in those days, as you usually had your hands more than full coping with the enemy".

2) Page 72 Maj Ronnie Hay( The Top marine Ace ) Quotes " The Corsair was just the right aircraft for that war. It was certainly better than any thing we had and an improvement on the Hellcat. It was more robust and faster and although the Japanese could out-turn us in combat. We could out-climb, out-dive and out-gun him.

Well! what can I say Two Ace pilots with different opininions on aircraft performance/practicality/Usefulness against the enemy.
Quotes from either, could halt any 12 page Comparison thread in the past.

Orr. was flying the Hellcat in North Seas environment. Whilst Hay. was flying against the Japanese.

Another book that has given me an insight into a part of the war I was less informed about. Nice to read abut one of my Old favourites The Fairy Fulmars and their contributions within the Med Theatre. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

horseback
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Could be a number of reasons for their opinions:

1. Each was flying a 'mature' version of his favorite at war's end; the FAA's version of the F6F-5 and F4U-1D, respectively. Each of these models was a significant improvement on its predecessor, so if Hay had flown a -3 Hellcat and Orr had flown a 'birdcage' F4U-1, their opinions based on experience would be quite justified.

2. Orr was flying off carriers in seas considerably rougher (on a day to day basis) than those Hay was flying over in the south and central Pacific. The Hellcat's vastly more benign nature in carrier ops comes to the fore in that case, as does its greater ruggedness and resistance to groundfire (only the P-47 was statistically safer to go into combat with).

3. Each man loved his ride because it suited his personal combat flying style. Think of how Nowotny blossomed when he got into the FW 190, or Gentile broke out in the Mustang: some guys just do better in a certain type of aircraft.

cheers

horseback