PDA

View Full Version : The reason manual tdc is such a pain....

vodkaphile
03-24-2005, 11:49 AM
it seems buggy as hell. I can estimate the speed of a convoy and hit it without using the notepad to gather info.... however when i try to gather info it's usually off.

to test my buggy tdc theory i used weapons officer to give a solution then with that solution i did multi speed measures myself and they were all way off what he got (correct speed). most convoys travel between 6 - 7kts...he got 5 and with his info i got 10 - 18kts....1sec later without changing a thing. I tried it over and over again with errorous speed readings.

I believe theres a bug in the system with the AOB reading aspect this seriously needs to be looked at. The good thing is...it's easy to estimate speeds.

vodkaphile
03-24-2005, 11:49 AM
it seems buggy as hell. I can estimate the speed of a convoy and hit it without using the notepad to gather info.... however when i try to gather info it's usually off.

to test my buggy tdc theory i used weapons officer to give a solution then with that solution i did multi speed measures myself and they were all way off what he got (correct speed). most convoys travel between 6 - 7kts...he got 5 and with his info i got 10 - 18kts....1sec later without changing a thing. I tried it over and over again with errorous speed readings.

I believe theres a bug in the system with the AOB reading aspect this seriously needs to be looked at. The good thing is...it's easy to estimate speeds.

vodkaphile
03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Forgot to add seems most prevalent when trying to get a speed reading behind at a high aob.

PoweredBySoy
03-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm almost starting to agree with you.

I won't go as far as to say it's "buggy", but it certainly is proving a pain in the crotch. Especially with the speed estimations not seeming consistant.

Using automatic targeting just seems to take a lot of the challenge (and fun) out of the game though. I'm still looking for a happy medium between the two.

Banquet
03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I was messing around with this last night. I had tried to set up a good firing position on a lone coastal merchant, but was further back than I anticipated, so was making ahead full while submerged.

My initial speed calc showed the merchant making 10kts.. I thought that was out and re-tried it several times, all coming in at 10kts.

Just in case it was correct I fired a couple torps, both miss.. so, bugger that, I got my WO to do a solution.. his figures were VERY close to mine, except speed, which I think was 6 kts.

So, I keep HIS solution in the TDC, but re-calc speed.. and again it changes to 10 kts - wtf??

Finally, I remember.. Oh, I'm at full ahead speed.. so I cut the speed and hey, my speed calc is coming in at 6 kts.

So it seems that your WO can calculate a solution (will be the same of auto TDC I imagine) and his calc will take your speed into account, yet the speed stopwatch doesn't.

Also, of course getting AOB and range wrong will affect it too.

Whether it's a bug that the manual stopwatch doesn't take speed into account, or if it's something we're supposed to factor in.. I don't know.

I'd have thought it very hard to mentally factor in your speed, because it's not the speed that matters (probably) but rather the closing speed - which is getting a bit mathematical!

Gaucho_13
03-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I think you either use automatic or do it all by hand. I also seem to get some weird numbers sometimes but I think it has something to do with the AOB changing. I have noticed that if a ship is doing a zig zag then the targeting system is just rubbish because the speed reading will never be correct. 334kts, 12kts, 134kts as an example.

Also about the solution given to you by the weapons officer... could that have something to do with them not being 100% correct because of some skill level? Once I had a ship in sight and my watch officer said it was 1300km and the radio guy said it was 1500km.

I don't know, it just seems to be more accurate by entering everything in by hand.

velkie
03-24-2005, 12:57 PM
If the merchant is doing zig zags, it will be very hard to use any numbers given to you. I suggest drawing a line down the center path of the merchant that is zig-zaging and use that as your path perdiction, then calculate a slightly less speed of the merchant..ie if it is doing 6 knots, use 5 knots as the speed. Also, make sure you get the identification correct, if you dont this will almost invalidate the whole thing!