PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trying to reinstall SH3, couple of questions

thefruitbat
02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi all, as the title says, i'm thinking about reinstalling SH3, but have a vastly different computer from last time i did.

So,

1) does it install ok on vista64?

2) if so, whats the best of the mods these days to get the best experience out of it now?

cheers fruitbat

Kaleun1961
02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I've never installed SH3 on a Vista machine, 32 or 64, but I have read of the experiences of others. In any event, even if you are installing on an XP system, you will want to do so in a way that bypasses having StarForce drivers installed on your machine, plus, you will no longer need to have the disc in your drive. That is, if you have a disc copy; I have no experience with a downloaded copy of the game.

Go to the sticky threads at the top of the forum page, useful links, and click on the first link, how to play with DVD.

The way I do it on my XP system is to install the game, patch it, then remove the disc from the DVD drive before playing the game. It is the first launching of the game that installs the StarForce drivers. From what I understand, StarForce doesn't have 64-bit drivers available for SH3. After I remove the disc I install my "cracked" files and play without needing the disc in the drive.

MartiniMik
02-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Fruitbat,

Yes, SH3 will play just fine on a Vista64 machine. I have it up & running on two at home. I installed it to a newly created folder in my C drive...not into the program folder.

Kaleun's advice is right on as well.

uniquewave
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Get one of the supermods if you want a better game experience. Personally I use the Grey Wolves (GWX) mod, though there are several others that are probably good too. It makes the game more realistic, and harder. There's a lot of changes that are made with mods that offer a HUGE improvement over stock.

thefruitbat
02-05-2010, 02:02 PM
thanks guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif