PDA

View Full Version : How is the multiplayer?

axm285
12-13-2004, 04:32 PM
I love games like Warbirds and Aces High, but I don't feel like paying a monthly fee right now, and the numbers have dwindled a little since I've played them before. How many people are online at most times? Total? Per Server? And is the online play similar to that of the pay-to-play games? I might try the WWIIO trial again and see how it has changed since when it came out, if not I'll probably check this out. Thanks for any input.

axm85

crazyivan1970
12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=190106645

All those available at Hyperlobby

bun-bun195333
12-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Right now there is 65 servers and 293 folks flying on Hyperlobby.
http://home.comcast.net/~argylestransom/Pics/Hyper.JPG

Call_me_Kanno
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
"And is the online play similar to that of the pay-to-play games?"

The only things you have to pay for is for the game and addons that are released and any PC upgrades and/or periphials you wish to add to your PC if you so choose. No pay to play stuff is involved.

Owlsphone
12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Online play is where many people rediscover the game after years of single player. You get to fight against human opponents that are (usually) smarter than the AI counterparts.

The only thing you have to pay for is the game itself. No fees to play online or anything, it's free. There are also many generous people that host the servers for the rest of us.

Get Hyperlobby and come online...it's addicting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

axm285
12-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Sounds great, Warbirds and Aces High look like they only have about 2 or 300 people playing online at most at once. So, just a little more detail, is it all mission based, do you just fly and dogfight, or are there capture points like in the p2p games? Also is this the most popular online combat flight simulator? Those are about all of the questions I can think of, I'll most likely be getting the game very soon and see some of you online ;o

axm285

VW-IceFire
12-13-2004, 09:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by axm285:
I love games like Warbirds and Aces High, but I don't feel like paying a monthly fee right now, and the numbers have dwindled a little since I've played them before. How many people are online at most times? Total? Per Server? And is the online play similar to that of the pay-to-play games? I might try the WWIIO trial again and see how it has changed since when it came out, if not I'll probably check this out. Thanks for any input.

axm85 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its not going to be the same experience as if you were playing a massively multiplayer game...but that aside...you can have a fantastic time playing COOPs, dogfight servers, or scripted dogfight servers.

Sometimes we've filled HyperLobby (a third party client program - free) to capacity with 950 or so people. So it gets pretty busy. Some new servers support 50 players or more so it can get pretty close to a massively multiplayer game at some points.

Check it out...I love FB multiplayer. I just want more servers with the settings I like http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tully__
12-14-2004, 04:06 AM
Dogfight servers vary between free for all melees and fairly cooperative goals based maps. In a dogfight server if you're killed you can re-fly in a new plane immediately. Some dogfight server admins have instituted a timeout penalty for losing your life too often (usually between 5 minutes and half an hour excluded from the server after 3 - 5 deaths). This has the benefit of giving others the oppurtunity to fly on popular servers (and incidentally ensures that there is some worthwhile opposition... careless pilots don't spend a lot of time on those servers).

Coops are by definition team goal oriented, though a few are designed with a furball in mind. Unlike dogfight servers, all pilots start the mission together and once you're dead you're finished for that mission. You can rejoin (host permitting) when the next mission is launched though.

Capt.LoneRanger
12-14-2004, 04:48 AM
As Tully said, there are very different servers-types on Hyperlobby.

There is also an even broader bandwith on server-settings, when it comes to realism-options and there are also some servers solely for training purpose (e.g. carrier landings or dogfight for beginners).

There are also different player numbers for the servers. Some are real Duel-Servers for 2 players, some are open for up to 128 people.

But I got to warn you: Flying IL2 offline will never be the same, after you tried it online. It IS a whole different game, especially those very nice scripted missions with mission targets to attack or defend in order to win a battle, teamplay and real furball-action.

Players on HL vary from about 250 (seldomly less) and up to almost 1000, usually over the weekends.

axm285
12-14-2004, 09:43 AM
One more question for you all, are most of the servers running 24/7? do they keep statistics for individual players?

Capt.LoneRanger
12-14-2004, 09:49 AM
That's not easily to answer with yes or no.

Some servers are open 24/7, well, most of them except for some minutes for reboot and/or reconnect after 24 hours or something.

There are some servers that keep your performance from map to map. That means, as long as you stay with the server, the scores will be kept. But as soon as you leave the server, the scores are deleted, even if you rejoin instantly.

There are servers, however, that keep an online statistic. That is beyond the usuall score for hitting targets and downing planes. It's like percentage of hits, # of shots fired, etc. Most of them need (free) registration, though.

You can see your ongoing score, on the according webpage. Isn't there also an online league? - not up to date, any more... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

axm285
12-14-2004, 10:05 AM
That's good; is this game challenging online? On Warbirds, for someone new to combat flight simulators, it might take a week to finally be decent enough to get a kill. I like the learning curve. With all realism settings on online is it just as challenging?

axm285
12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
for example, I remember seeing videos on Warbirds where one of the aces in the game took out maybe 10 people and made it off scott free; it's a lot more skilled based than a game like Counter-Strike, for example. Is there the same potential in this game to be that good?

RobertNighthawk
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
There is no better game.

bun-bun195333
12-14-2004, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by axm285:
for example, I remember seeing videos on Warbirds where one of the aces in the game took out maybe 10 people and made it off scott free; it's a lot more skilled based than a game like Counter-Strike, for example. Is there the same potential in this game to be that good? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best pilots will leave you wondering what happened. One minute you'll be sneaking up on their six then they'll disappear from view and blow you out of the sky.
The sim is that good.

axm285
12-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Well I bought the game, only $20 at EB. I just need to get my usb and joystick set up now...

VW-IceFire
12-14-2004, 08:48 PM
for example, I remember seeing videos on Warbirds where one of the aces in the game took out maybe 10 people and made it off scott free; it's a lot more skilled based than a game like Counter-Strike, for example. Is there the same potential in this game to be that good? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah I try to be the guy who gets 10 in a run (I think best ever was 6) but generally its me on the defensive.

VERY tough opponents online, very experienced pilots, also some people who are just starting are are essentially put into the meat grinder. Yes it takes a bit of time to work up to it. Some people get it pretty quickly...some people take some time. Depends on your settings too...but its a good run up. Almost 2 years later and I'm still learning how to fly and fight. I'm good I think...but not good enough...there's plenty that are way better.