PDA

View Full Version : New to IL2, need help from those more experienced than I

mrwafro
01-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi guys, first I'd just like to say, this is the friendliest, most helpful forum I have ever read.

I've been playing IL2 for just about 2 weeks now, and I'm starting to get much better, I can kill 4 Zeros on the "rookie" setting easily, which I know is not an accomplishment for most of you here, but the 109's just tear me to pieces.
I fly mostly spits, F4U's, and P38's. Any pointers or just basic tips and tactics would be much appreciated. I plan on playing online eventually, so I want to get as good as I can, as quick as I can. Thanks in advance!

foxyboy1964
01-03-2008, 01:50 AM
It's going to take a lot more than two weeks to get good at this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Try going up against Kozhedub's La7 on Ace and see how long you last.

My advice would be dont feel as though you must use aircraft that were used by your country. I'm British, and the first aircraft I tried was the Spit. I couldn't hit $hit, not only couldn't I hit it but I couldn't catch it either.

After much trial and even more error I discovered the FW190 series. It's fast, heavily armoured and armed, as well as having tons of ammo. Even I can hit something if I'm using six guns. On the down side, the FW is a bit prone to stalls if you yank the stick too hard.

Every aircraft in the game has it's good and bad points. Generally (very generally), the allied aircraft are easier to fly, but not such potent fighters. The German aircraft are a bit more difficult to fly but are outright killing machines. Late war Japanese aircraft are a good compromise.

You should really look for an aircraft that suits your style of flying, but it will take a lot of experimenting before you find it.

Welcome to the world of IL2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
01-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Hit The Nugget's Guide in my sig... welcome aboard.

ytareh
01-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Lots of planes being mentioned here which in my opinion are bad 'beginner' planes not least the FW190(requires considerable knowledge of high speed/energy tactics...)-also the Corsair(50 cal mgs may not be 'porked' but require a little finesse to get the best out of them) and P38(will dive straight into ground unless speed very carefully checked).
Instead of shooting AT Zeroes you could try flying them ...only if youre not being shot at yourself -they burn real easy!Before learning about dogfighting try a little gunnery by setting up firstly 'friendly' bombers in the Quick Mission Builder and then EMPTY/unarmed enemy bombers which will try to evade when you shoot.
Better all round beginner planes(the Zero is a stunning handling plane but fragile) might include the Me109G2/F4 ,Hurricane 2b/c or maybe the I16 Type 24 but remember that if you push the nose down the engine will cut out .Im sure there are other noob friendly planes others will mention...lets see....twin engines?A20/Mosquito/Pe3bis.....fighters ,La5FN,Spitfire....
Learn about TRIM as soon as possible but it probably wont concern you for a month or two at least.(Its what makes your plane feel as if its 'pulling'/drifting in a certain direction)(You can make slight adjustments which counteract this drift -but they change continuously with speed-NB The I16 doesnt have trim
Even as a beginner keep gun convergence below 250m -I use 100m.

X32Wright
01-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Two weeks is more than enough if you have somebody doing one on one instruction/training for you.

Training forces you to fly in a certain way and would make u avoid the natural instinct to just TURN and KEEP TURNING until you lose all your energy.

The bottom line is to GET SPEED FIRST and get ALTITUDE and then positon ur plane to best advantage and then attack. Disengage when your in a disadvantageous situation.

Engage the highest ENEMY when facing several and always NEVER underestimate your opponents energy and always know the energy of your plane.

Know your plane as well as your opponents this way you will know its limitations and use your own plane's advantages.

Finally SHOOT at the position of where YOU think the plane would be in a split second and shoot ahead of your target.

For beginners the best plane to fly is the La5FN since it can TNB (turn and burn) and BNZ (boom and zoom) hence it is a well balanced plane.

Xiolablu3
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Bf109 and Spitfire are good noob planes.

mrwafro
01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
These are all great tips, but I think I mis-represented myself a bit. I'm a flight sim vet, I know all about trim, energy, and that sort of thing, I was asking more specifically for combat tactics, since this is my first hard-core combat flight sim (I used to play CFS3 which was more like an arcade game than this)and I'm having a bit of trouble getting into a good firing position.

MEGILE
01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Shalom.

Xiolablu3
01-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by mrwafro:
These are all great tips, but I think I mis-represented myself a bit. I'm a flight sim vet, I know all about trim, energy, and that sort of thing, I was asking more specifically for combat tactics, since this is my first hard-core combat flight sim (I used to play CFS3 which was more like an arcade game than this)and I'm having a bit of trouble getting into a good firing position.

Sorry I thought that you were new to flight sims too, and the 'noob' comment wasnt mean to be derogatory.

Try and think in the vertical rather than the horizontal, particualry when you have a powerful plane, vs a biplane or better turner.

The best thing you can do is just get online straight away and start flying with other people. Forget 'training to get online' there is simply no point in that at all. Once you do actually get online and start asking questions, flying with others, etc, you will learn 10x as fast as trying to 'learn' offline or by reading. For example, I remember reading about what a 'Split-S' was and thinking, my god , I have been doing that naturally in IL2 for a long time because its such a good defensive move, but I just didnt know it was called a split-S.

I can recommend UKdedicated servers as great for new pilots, as everyone is so friendly, and willing to help you out with any questions.

Just one thing, once you do get online, make it so you can see more than one line of chat (1 line is the default, and you miss a lot of stuff). Open the chatbox and drag the corner bigger with the mouse. Make it so you can see about 6 lines of text.

Have fun!

Flying_Mex
01-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Like Xiolablu3, I would reccomend getting online as soon as possible.

Not only is it much much more fun, but you will learn more. Also, flying offline will teach you bad things that you will have to unlearn quickly.

My advice would be to head over to the Squadron page, and try to find a squadron that suits you. Many, if not most, squadrons offer great training, and will teach you to fly with others...something that you cannot learn while flying offline but that easily becomes the best thing about the game, using teamwork to take down the enemy...even if you don't get the kill...

Good luck!

mortoma
01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Flying_Mex:
Like Xiolablu3, I would reccomend getting online as soon as possible.

Not only is it much much more fun, but you will learn more. Also, flying offline will teach you bad things that you will have to unlearn quickly.

My advice would be to head over to the Squadron page, and try to find a squadron that suits you. Many, if not most, squadrons offer great training, and will teach you to fly with others...something that you cannot learn while flying offline but that easily becomes the best thing about the game, using teamwork to take down the enemy...even if you don't get the kill...

Good luck! I disagree, I have flown all sorts of military and civie sims for 15 years. I have flown this sim about 98% offline. But when I have gone online I have done well. Usually very well and against well known online pilots too. Most of my earlier sims like Red Baron, CFS 1 and 2 and EAW were entirely offline. This is a myth that will not go away. And is perpetuated by the smug egos of the online crowd.

Bearcat99
01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
My advice would be to do coops when you get online. IMO coops are not only more fun but less frantic than the DF servers.... even the good ones.

Choctaw111
01-03-2008, 01:13 PM
This is why I love Il2 so much. I have played countless combat flight sims over the years and Il2 seems to have really made me work harder, and fly better to shoot anything down. I must say though, that when I joined a squadron, THAT is when my fun in Il2 increased exponentially! There is just something about working together as a team, voicecomms, and other elements that really added things to Il2 to really polish it off http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

mortoma
01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
A great illustration of the myth of online superiority is when I tried to join an online squad back in the IL2 days. I had to go online with this "Squad officer" dude so he could "test" me ( I was insulted to say the least. ) I had to go through take offs and landings and all sorts of stuff so he could see that I was able to do stuff I had been doing for years. All this and I was a fully qualified real world pilot and he wasn't. When it came time for him to see how I was at dogfighting, he asked me to pick any plane I wanted from his server selection. Well he picked a Bf-109G2 and I picked the FW-190A4. If you flew this sim back then, you'll remember that the A4 was a total dog that could scarely perform any manuever. This was before Forgotten Battles even came out. Well the conclusion is I blew him out of the sky right away and I could tell he was a little embarrassed. He wanted me to join his squad but I never did!!! I went back offline for the most part.

barryward12345
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
IMO coops are not only more fun but less frantic than the DF servers.

What exactly is a "coop " anyway?

Barry

JtD
01-03-2008, 02:05 PM
A single mission you fly together with and against other pilots, some AI, some human. Pretty much the same as single offline missions. Except for the human pilots. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif They are probably the most interesting event, but run at a rather slow pace. Coop stands for "cooperation".

If you say you have troubles against the 109, I have to ask you to be a bit more specific. Put in order of increasing difficulty, I'd rank them E-models, F-2, G-6, F-4, G-2, late ones, and they all are very different machines. Try flying a 109 against a 109 and see what they can and cannot do.

general_kalle
01-03-2008, 02:33 PM
i dont know about fighting 4 planes at a time.

but try fighting a 2 on 2 with all ai's on Veteran.
when you have acomplished that you can say you are getting better