PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a flat screen monitor?

sledgehammer2
06-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Looking to buy one to upgrade from my 19" Dell M991. Any ideas on what the best one is? I am looking to spend in the $120-150 range. Thanks.

Sledgehammer2

Bearcat99
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Look to spend @ $75-$100 more if you want something decent.. look here to get an idea (http://www.pricewatch.com/monitors/all/560.htm). Dont go undwer 22" if you can help it.. A 22" WS is similar to a 17" crt.. only it is wider.. (I might be wrong.. it might be a 19".. ) but you really dont want to go less than 22" or under $200 unless you get a great deal.. I paid $300 for my 24" Acer @ 18 months ago.. give or take a few months.. and that is still a decent deal. You want something with low response time.. 6ms or less.. high contrast ratio.. 10000:1 or better.. brightness of 250 at least .. and a viewing angle of no less than 160deg. You should be able to find something decent with those specs in the 22-24" range for @$200-$300.

To put this into perspective... when Samsung came ot with their 21" WS monitor in 04.. it has a 16ms response time... 1000:1 CR... and it was selling for $1200 @ Best Buy... Now you can get something bigger and better for @25-30% of that price.

RickRuski
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Just remember Sledgehammer it doesn't matter how big the screen is the detail is the same, you will not get any more detail regardless how large the screen is. Look for a screen that has a TFT and a minimum 5ms response GTG (grey to grey). This seems to be the best guide line. Samsung seems to be one of the better ones, other members may recommend others depending on their experience. I have not yet seen any wide screen that can give exact reproduction without stretching either up or down slightly ( not enough to bother with any way and I don't mean tearing of the picture, picture in mine is perfect). Make sure that what ever you buy has a no dead pixel guarantee. Mine is a 19" Samsung 931BW 2ms GTG and am in love with it, (Sure I would love a 24" but economies made me decide on the 19").

Ba5tard5word
06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a 20" Samsung Syncmaster and it's perfectly fine. I got it for free with my old computer but I think it sold for like $150 and that was almost 2 years ago.

See what Samsung has at your price range.

Bearcat99
06-02-2009, 06:19 AM
My comments about size was due to the fact that if he already has a 19" CRT then a 22" CRT will be top to bottom the same size as his 19".. only wider... a 20" will be top to bottom the same size as a 17" only wider... so if he wants "more monitor" instead of a lateral variation of what he has... but of course it is up to him..

p1ngu666
06-02-2009, 08:52 AM
get a 24" if you can, and if you have room, have your old screen aswell
duelscreen ftw http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sledgehammer2
06-02-2009, 09:11 PM
OK. Thanks for the answers. I'll have to think about it and do some research.

Chevy350
06-03-2009, 12:49 AM
is it possible to hook a computer up to like a 36 inch lcd tv? does it work well?

PF_Coastie
06-03-2009, 05:09 AM
One thing I also see in these threads is that people forget to mention the huge difference in the native resolution when going from a crt to an lcd. That is the sole reason I have not switched.

I currently fly at 1024x768 in perfect with good eye candy. If I made the switch to say a 24" widescreen, my res would be 1920x???? which would absolutely kill my FPS. Then I would be forced to either scale down my res and hope my new monitor handles it ok, or turn down my graphics settings which would really suck.

AllorNothing117
06-03-2009, 05:20 AM
We were very kindly given a "Fugitsu computer siemens" 21 inch Flatscreen. It drastically improved our flying. We could read our instruments in wide veiw and could spot aircraft when they were much further away and I dentify them with comparitive ease! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I don't know how our monitor compares to others but I would recomend a 19+" monitor anyday! XD

Bearcat99
06-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
One thing I also see in these threads is that people forget to mention the huge difference in the native resolution when going from a crt to an lcd. That is the sole reason I have not switched.

I currently fly at 1024x768 in perfect with good eye candy. If I made the switch to say a 24" widescreen, my res would be 1920x???? which would absolutely kill my FPS. Then I would be forced to either scale down my res and hope my new monitor handles it ok, or turn down my graphics settings which would really suck.

Try flyiong at 1280x960 I think it is.. you may loose 1 frame or two.. but the look will improove..Thats what did on my CRT before I went lcd.

WOLFMondo
06-03-2009, 06:44 AM

A card which can power a screen at 1920x1200 isn't that expensive. Even an old ATI 1900XTX or similar would let you play IL2 maxed out at that resolution. As long as you have 512mb or more to accomodate the larger texture sizes they would fine at that size.

DuxCorvan
06-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Last week got myself a 22" widescreen Samsung SyncMaster and I'm perfectly happy with it. I love it.

Pyrres
06-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Chevy350:
is it possible to hook a computer up to like a 36 inch lcd tv? does it work well?

Its possible. I have one 22" lcd monitor, one 32" HD Ready TV and one 37" FULL HD TV connected to my computer. The two tv:s come throught HDMI splitter so I can watch movies from the bigger screen from couch, and because my Ati 4850 has only two display ports I have to manually select the device I want to use as secondary or main display.

Chivas
06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I upgraded from a very good 21" CRT to a 26" Samsung T260 LCD with 5ms response time. I found the old CRT displayed smoother movement than the new LCD. My system can easily run at 1920x1200 but I have to use lower resolutions to see the aircraft dots. Atleast with the LCD I've upped the resolution to 1024x768 to see the dots.lol I guess my eyes need an upgrade.

PF_Coastie
06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PF_Coastie:

A card which can power a screen at 1920x1200 isn't that expensive. Even an old ATI 1900XTX or similar would let you play IL2 maxed out at that resolution. As long as you have 512mb or more to accomodate the larger texture sizes they would fine at that size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I have a 19" CRT that will do 1600x1200 and my X850XT chokes on that high res with my current settings. Some of us can not afford to upgrade right now. I am trying to hold off for SOW before I do a complete system upgrade. That would be nearlt 100% new rig including monitor and Joystick.....I dread the day I have to stop using my MSFFB because I can't use the software with a new OS. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-03-2009, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PF_Coastie:

A card which can power a screen at 1920x1200 isn't that expensive. Even an old ATI 1900XTX or similar would let you play IL2 maxed out at that resolution. As long as you have 512mb or more to accomodate the larger texture sizes they would fine at that size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I have a 19" CRT that will do 1600x1200 and my X850XT chokes on that high res with my current settings. Some of us can not afford to upgrade right now. I am trying to hold off for SOW before I do a complete system upgrade. That would be nearlt 100% new rig including monitor and Joystick.....I dread the day I have to stop using my MSFFB because I can't use the software with a new OS. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC the FFB2 software worked in XP, if that is the case be sure to pick up a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, that way you can run your joystick in XP Mode (a full virtualized copy of XP) and it should still work. I haven't tested this yet but if someone is willing to loan me their FFB2 I'd be more than happy to type up a detailed report http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

PF_Coastie
06-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Wellll, kinda sorta!

It works pre SP2 if I remember correctly. I currently have it installed on XP with 2 profiles that work fine. But post SP2 I can not make any changes to the profiles or I get an error. I do have an original XP disc pre SP1 that perhaps I can load as a secondary drive just for my game. But not sure how that would work.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Hmm, XP Mode may be out then, as that's XP SP3, but you could use nlite and make a very minimal install of XP SP1 just to change your profiles on and then run those profiles in XP Mode in Win7....

ElAurens
06-03-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm still on the search for an LCD myself.

I called in a favor from a squadmate who is teaching an exec at Nvidia aerobatics for real, just to see what Nvida thinks on the matter.

Dell 30" monitors and a few NECs are what they use for development.

He said the only people still using CRTS are Lucas Film and one or two other movie studios, because they need the superior color rendering capability of a high end CRT.

Of course a 30" is out of the question for me because of cost.

I'm looking at the Dell G2410 and one of the Samsung 23 inch models.

I'm still on the fence.

WOLFMondo
06-04-2009, 06:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:

Well, I have a 19" CRT that will do 1600x1200 and my X850XT chokes on that high res with my current settings. Some of us can not afford to upgrade right now. I am trying to hold off for SOW before I do a complete system upgrade. That would be nearlt 100% new rig including monitor and Joystick.....I dread the day I have to stop using my MSFFB because I can't use the software with a new OS. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair play, I used to have a similar card and the 24" forced me to upgrade prematurely.

WOLFMondo
06-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by ElAurens:

Dell 30" monitors and a few NECs are what they use for development.

He said the only people still using CRTS are Lucas Film and one or two other movie studios, because they need the superior color rendering capability of a high end CRT.

Right now if I was going to buy another 24" screen I'd get a Dell 2408WFP or a BenQ FP241wz which for the price are the best 24" available if you don't want to shell out a small fortune.

I'd explore more options as the Dell G2410 is 1920x1080 rather than 1920x1200, its a TN panel so your loosing image quality compared with an SPVA panel and its only got DVI and VGA inputs. You might miss having no composite, component or HDMI inputs down the line.

The trouble with LCD monitors is you really get what you pay for an a little extra initial investment in a good screen is really worth it.

p1ngu666
06-04-2009, 07:11 AM
i wouldnt go for a TN screen for a 24", we had one and it was useless, as the viewing angle is quite narrow, the colours etc change across the screen, as its quite a large area

Kurfurst__
06-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
i wouldnt go for a TN screen for a 24", we had one and it was useless, as the viewing angle is quite narrow, the colours etc change across the screen, as its quite a large area

Seconded - large TN panel screens are not the best use because of the size/viewing angle issues. I have a 24" TN too - its nice for work, but the viewing angles are just terrible compared my earlier 20" PVA Eizo...

With TN panels, its a compromise. I have a Samsung 2493HM - as noted the angles are not very good (can be used to it), and overall for this price I can recommend it (rather nice in 1024x768 too) but don't get any big hopes about any other cheap TN panel, they all suckers when it comes to color distortion and viewing angles. If you can afford it/want to spend a lot of money on it, go for a more expensive PVA/MVA. You do not buy a monitor every year, its going to serve for a looong time.

Also, forget large TV screens. Resolution quality sucks big time.

ElAurens
06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
This just gets more mystifying day by day.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

The non TN panels are better in most ways it seems, except for one thing. Slow response times. The ones I've investigated are all above 6ms. The fastest TNs are 2ms. This is a serious issue for gaming, and especially for me as I fly mostly online. Slow response times and high internal latency = death online.

There has to be a good compromise other than keeping my 19" CRT.

Kurfurst__
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I had an 20" EIZO L 885. Look up the specs, the response times were outrageous on paper, but I haver never ever noticed any tearing, ghosting etc. I did not quite understand even the phenomenon everyone talking about. And to my shock, it was even much better in colour quality and resolution than my previous 21" big, 30 kilogramm CRT, something I would never expected to happen from a flat screen. Of course they had to justify that price tag they asked for the thing, that was outrageous too.. But that screen? Absolutely wonderful.

Funny thing, I started to notice it on my new, '5 msec' TN Samsung panel screen. I guess there is some science behind it, and they work in a different way, and its more noticeable on TN panels. Besides manufacturers are playing with how they define the response time statistics..

IMHO there is only one thing the TN panels have on their side - price. CRTs are just as good as the best flatscreen, only they take up huge room, and slowly kill your eyes with their death rays.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:

The non TN panels are better in most ways it seems, except for one thing. Slow response times. The ones I've investigated are all above 6ms. The fastest TNs are 2ms. This is a serious issue for gaming, and especially for me as I fly mostly online. Slow response times and high internal latency = death online.

Ignore most of the statistics, they range from fudged to outright lies. Read reviews. I got lucky and got one of the last available Acer 24" S-PVA panels out there, on paper it has a 6ms response time but it's way smoother than a friends TN witha supposed 2sec response time. Just read as many reviews as you can.

Viper2005_
06-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm currently using an HDTV instead of a monitor on the basis that I like to watch TV & movies from time to time anyway and might as well only have one screen. The results have been most impressive.

IL2 looks wonderful in 1920x1080 and the colour rendering is much better than my previous screen.

It was relatively expensive (~540) but then again it is a 32" screen, and for work purposes I can fit a heck of a lot of excel onto it without the need to scroll!

Gadje
06-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:

Ignore most of the statistics, they range from fudged to outright lies. Read reviews. I got lucky and got one of the last available Acer 24" S-PVA panels out there, on paper it has a 6ms response time but it's way smoother than a friends TN witha supposed 2sec response time. Just read as many reviews as you can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

The 24'' BenQ I have is a 6ms S-PVA panel too (probably the same one in a different frame)
It has no ghosting or reaction time probs.(Although I was sweating a bit before it arrived!). If you read some of the reviews/tests in the links I put in your other post, you will see 6ms S-PVA and IPS panels reaction times compare to the fastest TN panels whatever the stated speed is. Not sure why but in some cases they are better.
One of the sites lets you compare visually worst/best reaction times.
Equally there seem to be a few TN panels out now who's colour and tone depth are as good or very close to S-PVA panels.

MrBlueSky1960
06-05-2009, 07:14 AM
This one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsun...id=1244207553&sr=8-1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Widecsreen-Black-Monitor-Ready/dp/B0017HAR0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244207553&sr=8-1)

Brilliant... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

p1ngu666
06-05-2009, 12:21 PM
tn panels can and do have good colour etc, but the decent viewing angle can be really small, so on a big screen the middle is acurate, but the top and bottom arent xD

TFT screens can also have lag, my one fortunately doesnt have much, if any http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Eat_Me1946
06-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by MrBlueSky1960:
This one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsun...id=1244207553&sr=8-1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Widecsreen-Black-Monitor-Ready/dp/B0017HAR0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244207553&sr=8-1)

Brilliant... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Samsung T240 24, I own one, nearly no lag, excellent even at angles and awesome color.
I do prefer my 25.5" HP monitor though.

Eindecker