PDA

View Full Version : OT: Band of Brothers 2

9th_Bloodfist
12-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up, the makers of band of brothers are about to start filming their next series called the Pacific War for HBO follow the link for more info.
http://www.upcomingepics.com/pacific_war/

Waldo.Pepper
12-15-2004, 01:27 PM
No Tom Hanks involvement? No one other than HBO involved. I am skeptical still. But thanks for the heads up.

cow9th
12-15-2004, 03:18 PM
humm.. Tom hanks didnt have anything to do with it. you thinking about saving private ryan ?

band of brothers the tv series was very good.
if this is anything like it i will be happy

R_Mutt
12-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Tom Hanks had a lot to do with the production side of the series, him and Spielberg where the executive producers. Hanks even directed the 5th episode "crossroads".

eddiemac0
12-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Hanks is the man, and Crossroads was my favorite episode, even before I realized it was his! It's a shame he isn't involved with this PTO one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Capt._Tenneal
12-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the update. I've been waiting for some news of this new series. Tom Hanks not being in the cast or crew is not a dealbreaker for me. I'll still watch this as I'm interested in the setting and timeperiod. I'm pretty sure having people producing this who have worked on Band of Brothers means that Speilberg or Hanks have given the project their blessing.

The only thing that concerns me is using a USO troupe as the focus of the story. I would have prefered the tried and true format of following a small unit through the Pacific campaigns (maybe a USMC unit this time). Intertwining civilian stories with soldier stories will make this feel like Winds of War/ War and Remembrance rather than BOB. We'll see, maybe they can pull it off.

Moody6131
12-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Omg thanks so much, Ive got the VHS set after watching the HBO series, it is one of the best WWII movies I've seen in the 21st century.
-Moody

Cattail4
12-15-2004, 08:07 PM
It's all speculation guys, the linked site is in no way an official site, just one guys collection of info......with his spin to it.

Slick750
12-15-2004, 08:48 PM
I heard Spielberg and Eastwood where planning a Iwo Jima movie, I think it's BS ...but I hope it's true. That was a tough nut to crack, would make a good movie.

fordfan25
12-15-2004, 09:13 PM
would be awsome ... i hope Ic is not in charge of what fighters go into the show, there going to have a hard time in '45 with out any -4 corsairs to fight off all those ki-100's not to mentun what are the carrier torp plane pilots going to fly. LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

WTE_DuStA
12-15-2004, 09:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cow9th:
humm.. Tom hanks didnt have anything to do with it. you thinking about saving private ryan ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite incorrect there, Tom Hanks was part a director, producer and writer for the mini series. Tom Hanks was only an actor in saving private ryan

DarkCanuck420
12-15-2004, 10:05 PM
F*ucking Eh!
BoB is the best! great story, characters, realism, cinematography. There really has not been many current good wwII era movies done well. Saving Pvt.Ryan is about it. and dont even mention pearl harbor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif plain bad. nice to see the Pacific. its going to be more difficult to film then BoB. however if they sure do have the hang of it! cant wait!

Texas LongHorn
12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Here's the link to the Internet Movie Database about the film. Not much info there but that is normally the case with films that have not yet begun formal shooting;
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/
All the best, LongHorn

fordfan25
12-15-2004, 10:39 PM
you guys should check out both wind talkers and the thin red line both were good movies though some of the action sences was a little over the top.

TangmerePhilipp
12-16-2004, 12:38 AM
Wind Talkers? One of the WORST movies I've seen...EVER!

That Nicolas Cage is one BAD actor!

fordfan25
12-16-2004, 01:00 AM
not my fav but i didnt think it was that bad. and yes cage can be kinda bad.

WTE_DuStA
12-16-2004, 01:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
you guys should check out both wind talkers and the thin red line both were good movies though some of the action sences was a little over the top. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol two of the worst efforts i have watched. Windtalkers was utter **** and thin red line ? Well i walked out of the cinema after about 40 mins

ImpStarDuece
12-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Man, i LOVED the Thin Red Line. I have been looking for it on DVD everywhere. Sure, it takes an unusual approach to it subject matter, but, for me, thats why I like it.

It has far more depth of idea and character than SPR, which i also liked a lot. Its about mans ability to commit acts of INhumanity, no matter which side of the fence he is on. Man vs himself, man vs his duty, man vs his enemy, 3 of the 5 'great conflicts" of classic literature. Beautiful cinematography as well. Some people seemed to have missed the point of it.

The_Ant
12-16-2004, 01:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TangmerePhilipp:
Wind Talkers? One of the WORST movies I've seen...EVER!

That Nicolas Cage is one BAD actor! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Nicolas cage in windtalkers,makes Rambo look like a complete noob and thats says something.The only worth in windtalkers is 6-10 sec,when the 2 hellcats fly in and bomb,rest is junk.The 3 best things in the movie nr1.cristian slater gets killed whoooaa. Nr2.Nicolas cage die yiipeeee.Nr3 the after credits.

Aaron_GT
12-16-2004, 10:51 AM
I was impressed by the Hanks contribution to Band Of Brothers. I look forward to seeing him direct more things in the future. I think he is one to watch, much like Eastwood when he went into direction.

murewa
12-16-2004, 11:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarkCanuck420:
F*ucking Eh!
BoB is the best! great story, characters, realism, cinematography.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BUMP! BOB is the supreme master of WWII films, pawning all others. Where else can you see whole squadrons of REAL not CGI aircraft battling it out in incredibly shot air sequences? very few others, if any. And what a cast! CLassic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

plus, little fact, did you know the heinkels and 109's were actualy serving spanish airforce aircraft. LOL, thats how **** franco was, using the same aircraft that the condor legion used in the 30's, 3 or 4 DECADES afterwards! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SeaFireLIV
12-16-2004, 11:27 AM
I wasn`t so impressed by `Thin red Line`. I think it went a bit over my head.

What would be good would be a `Band of Brothers` the British soldiers in Europe from D-Day - lots happened there.

Another good one would be a `Band of Brothers` for the Eastern Front. The infinite carnage there were like several D-Days over the 4 years of war! There are some incredible stories of heroism in that time.

oldschool1992
12-16-2004, 11:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
No Tom Hanks involvement? No one other than HBO involved. I am skeptical still. But thanks for the heads up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

check out this link for info

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/pacificnews.html

WTE_Gog
12-16-2004, 12:39 PM
BoB realistic?

Yeah right, all German soldiers run around like chickens and drive JagdPanthers into infantry assaults only to get scared off when a handful of crappy Shermans turn up.

Loved the scene where our hero runs 400 miles across an open plain to startle a sleeping SS boy and then proceed to mow all the Germans down while they all run around looking for a hole in the ground. C R A P!!!!!

Fliegeroffizier
12-16-2004, 03:35 PM
I fear this follow up series, hoping to CAPITALIZE(make money) off of Spielberg/Hanks' Band of Brothers Success is going to be a DISASTER! It usually happens this way...the "suits"/exec's try to do the followup with More "stuff" to please "more" viewers and make More money..it Seldom works!...but they never quit.

Remember, the original series was about one specific Company of soldiers, progressing from training through the end of the war..it was based on fact and upon the Real exploits of these Real soldiers...The Focus was ALWAYS on these soldiers!!

Now, here's a synopsis of the New series,off one of the Sites:

QUOTE It will be simply called THE PACIFIC WAR (or THE PACIFIC) and will not be associated with any of the characters from BOB1. The series will follow a USO troupe who travel the Pacific trying to keep Allied soldiers entertained and morally up beat about the war. By doing this, the writers will be able to interwine through various soldiers and civilians who are caught in the conflict. We'll see the stories of cooks, nurses, pilots, infantry, and many others. Their are rumors that the characters will be much more diverse than before, and therefore we'll probably see main characters that are Hispanic, Irish, British, African American, etc

It is going to be a re-writing of history based upon current political correctness and Soap-Opera dramatics....IMHO

Too Bad!

GoatseLives
12-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Oh boy sounds like a Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer plot.

Plunkertx
12-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey everybody,
I am the creator of http://www.upcomingepics.com/pacific_war/

I came here because I noticed all of the traffic going to my site! So, I wanted to let you know that the info on my site is 100% accurate, except for a few lines (Fredonia) that I need to correct.

The team is currently looking for a B-25 to use. Apparently, one of the characters is a pilot (maybe a gunner), I am not sure yet. However, this series is going to be BIG BIG BIG and HBO wants to go all out. Band of Brothers was their must successful mini-series ever.

Also, the Clint Eastwood/Spielberg Iwo Jima project is, indeed, official. They start production this summer. Both Eastwood and HBO's projects are funded by Dreamworks, so I don't know if they are going to tie into each other or what (that's a rumor going around).

If you have any questions let me know. Feel free to join my forums for some more information.

Thanks.

sledgehammer2
12-17-2004, 04:41 PM
If you are the creator of that site then you need to inform your readers that the USO idea is incorrect and not going to happen. Also, of the main characters, none are B-25 crewmen.
Regards,
Sledgehammer2

aerick2
12-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Looks like Hanks will indeed be involved:
"Dye will re-team with "Band of Brothers" creators Tom Hanks and Spielberg on another series for HBO, this one focusing on the battle with the Japanese in the Pacific during World War II."

Plunkertx
12-17-2004, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sledgehammer2:
If you are the creator of that site then you need to inform your readers that the USO idea is incorrect and not going to happen. Also, of the main characters, none are B-25 crewmen.
Regards,
Sledgehammer2 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am only reporting what the writers are telling me. Sorry, can't get any closer to the production than that.

sledgehammer2
12-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Well, since one of the characters for the series will be my father I have had some contact with the main writer myself. I was simply passing along what he told me.

Plunkertx
12-17-2004, 06:31 PM
That is awesome sledge! Don't forget to join us in the PO forum...

Hawggy
12-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Hanks + Spielberg + WWII = Entertainment. Hands down. As far as BoB - the book was phenominal, the series was awesome, but flawed. The Thin Red Line had a better sndtrk than presentation and scripting, but the human factor and character study was more advanced than SPR (and more believable). Two different approaches. Now if Tom & Steve are presenting the PTO - prepare yourselves for a treat gentlemen. I don't see how it'll miss.

Oh, and Windtalkers? Read the book before you decide to see that one - you'll get more out of it. And yes, it's ALL Nick's fault! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

VF15_Muto
12-18-2004, 01:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Gog:
BoB realistic?

Yeah right, all German soldiers run around like chickens and drive JagdPanthers into infantry assaults only to get scared off when a handful of crappy Shermans turn up.

Loved the scene where our hero runs 400 miles across an open plain to startle a sleeping SS boy and then proceed to mow all the Germans down while they all run around looking for a hole in the ground. C R A P!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have read the after-action reports for both encounters, you will find the series depicted them very accurately. Lt. Welsh along with a Corporal did in fact disable a tank with a bazooka from an exposed position, the only issue there is the range from which they fired as depicted in the series. Dog and Fox Companies did collapse when the German armor showed up, but were halted and redeployed to the hedge (which the series did not show) and participated in holding the line against the advancing German armor. And the 2nd Armored Div DID show up just as the German armor was approaching the 501st PIR lines, and the Shermans flanked the Kraut armor and immediately disabled a tank and another armored vehicle and sent the Germans into full retreat.

Also, Captain Winters' charge across the field and up the **** on 'The Island' in Holland was also accurate as depicted in the series, although the action once he reached the top of the **** was not entirely accurate. What actually happened was that Winters set MGs up between the three squads charging the **** in elevated positions, and they began firing just as the squads began their charge. The German outposts up on the **** had been knocked out in a skirmish earlier in the morning, and the Germans had not refortified the positions, so when the US MGs began firing over the top of the ****, the Germans down below on the other side all hit the dirt and stayed there to avoid the bullets whizzing by overhead. The Germans had no idea the paratroopers were charging. Winters had taken off running toward the **** without ordering a charge, and it took a moment or two of stunned silence for his own men as well as Talbert and Peacock's squads to figure out they should be charging as well, so they got up and ran after Winters ... so Winters was in the lead by a substantial distance. He reached the top of the **** first, and just a few feet away was a German sentry on the ground ducking the MG bullets. Winters also caught a glimpse of 100 Germans to his right, all ducking to the ground and facing the other way. Winters dropped back on to the friendly side of the **** and lobbed a grenade toward the sentry ... but he had stupidly forgotten to take off the tape around the handle of the grenade (there to prevent accidental explosions) before throwing it! In the mean time, a potato masher lobbed by the sentry landed on Winters' side of the ****, so he figured he had no choice but to climb back up the **** and charge the sentry. When he reached the other side, the sentry was ducking to the ground, waiting for Winters' grenade to go off a few yards away.

Winters shot the sentry. This startled all the other Germans who had no idea any enemy troops were in the immediate vicinity, so the SS troops began to get up and ready their weapons. Talbert, leading 3rd squad on the right, saw Winters standing at the top of the **** alone with the rest of Winters' 2nd squad still 30 meters from the ****, and he saw Winters begin firing.

Winters fired 8 shots, emptying his clip and dropping several enemies closest to him about 15 meters away, before a single SS soldier returned fire. He then reloaded his rifle while standing, and noticed how slowly the German soldiers were moving in their long overcoats, so he decided to hold his position and keep firing. He swung his rifle up from the hip again, and fired 8 more shots, emptying another clip. He started loading a third clip, and only then noticed dust kicking up near him and bullets whizzing by his head. So he ducked back below the road and saw his 2nd squad about 10 meters away, finished loading his third clip, and began raising his head over the ****, firing one or two shots, then ducking again as the bullets whizzed by.

After a few shots, his squad clambered up the side of the ****, Winters told them to open fire, and they flattened on top of the **** and started a duck shoot into the backs of SS troops who were fleeing across the field.

So I think the series did accurately capture the overall action quite well, except for the red smoke, the lack of paratroop machine gun fire during the charge, and Winters botched grenade exchange with the German sentry. Everything else was faithful to the historical accounts, including Talbert, Webster, Peacock and Hoobler who couldn't believe Winters was unhit after emptying two clips into a field full of stunned Germans.

The fact that you so easily dismiss this as unbelievable is merely more great testimony to the bold heroism and selfless leadership Winters so frequently displayed as a commander of fighting men. Even if he did sometimes forget to remove the tape from his grenades before entering combat... you should read your 101st Airborne history a bit more closely sir, if you have read any at all.

S~!
VF15_Muto

VF15_Muto
12-18-2004, 01:10 AM
FYI, Hanks was such a major part of BOB that he lobbied successfully to have his son play the fresh West Point Lieutenant in the episode 'The Last Patrol'.

And Tom Hanks will undoubtedly play a similarly major role in the upcoming Pacific series.

S~!
VF15_Muto

Hawggy
12-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Richard Winters was good, yes, but Shifty Powers was the true badazz to me. Spotting that fake tree in the Ardennes? The series didn't go deep enough into his character.

Saunders1953
12-18-2004, 10:47 AM
"Well, since one of the characters for the series will be my father..."

So Sledge, you mean Eugene B.? LOL, I thought by your moniker maybe you were a Peter Gabriel fan! I've read "With the Old Breed" a half dozen times over the years. Truly a great read. My brother and I have been trying to get my Dad (84 y/o) to open up about his experiences in the Pacific for the last 45 or so years. But other than some bits and pieces, he stays mum.

Semper Fi.

Skarp-Hedin
12-18-2004, 11:49 AM
my grandpa is a WWII and Korea infantry vet. he doesn't like to talk about what he did but he did mention to me that thin red line and BoB did show good realism. only part of BoB he didn't like was the battle of the bulge parts of it. he said lots of it was just hollywood

Plunkertx
12-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Wow, good info there. Thanks.

jtasker
12-19-2004, 02:12 AM
My father landed on Iwo with the 4th Marine Division (1/A/25) and has some amazing stories.. Many of his buddies have passed..and more do every day unfortunately.. he'll be 81 in April.. I'd love to get the chance to take him and my two sons to see an Iwo Jima based movie of the quality of BoB...

They are going to have ahell of a time getting the terrain right without actually "going there". My father spent most of his time on the N end away from Suribachi.. namely the Meatgrinder, the Amphitheater, etc. People remember black volcanic sand.. but forget that off the beach it was FAR different. It was a defenders paradise of rubble, narrow gorges, caves, tunnels, blockhouses, pill boxes, mine fields etc. etc.

Plunkertx
12-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Jtasker,
Clint Eastwood and Steven SPielberg start filming "Flags of our Fathers" this summer. It will be about the battle of Iwo Jima.

For more info: http://www.upcomingepics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137