PDA

View Full Version : X52 and its annoying travel problem

jermin122
08-12-2011, 09:58 PM
When my PC starts or I reconnect the X52 to the PC. The full travel of the cursor in the Axes box in the X52 control panel is always smaller than the full physical travel of X52 stick.

When the cursor hits the borders of the box, the joystick only travels 4/5 of its full travel. (Actually the 2 rotaries on the throttle have the same problem. ) Only after I circle the joystick around its full travel (calibrating the stick) did the cursor movement is identical to the joystick movement.

Now here comes the problem. The calibration procedure is applicable at any time, even when the control panel is closed. That means if I don't or forget to calibrate the joystick, it will gradually calibrate itself during the game when I do all kinds of maneuvers. but you can't guarantee that all axes on the throttle and stick are fully calibrated, e.g. the -X axes might be fully calibrated but the X axes is not. (This is more like to happen on elevator trim axes.)This results in inconsistent maneuverability in the game.

And even after all axes are fully calibrated, I still find the travel of the stick is way to big. Is there a way to disable the auto calibration function for the X52 so that I can always have the responsive 4/5 travel?

Tully__
08-12-2011, 10:43 PM
No, but you could adjust the game sensitivity to get better response in the initial stages of travel.

Most joysticks auto calibrate in this way, it's good practise to move all the controls through their full range of motion prior to commencing a flight (just like real pilots do as part of their pre-flight checks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

jermin122
08-12-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm already using all 100 curves for the stick. It is still too clumsy for me. Anyway, thanks for info.

Tully__
08-13-2011, 05:29 AM
I read somewhere there is a way to get settings higher than 100, possibly with IL2JoyControl (link in my sig) but I'm not sure, I've never used that one.

jermin122
08-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Hey, thanks for the tips, mate. That utility has solved my problem perfectly. I've set my curves to all 120. Now the effective motion range of the stick is reduced by 20%.

Another problem I got with X52 is that it keeps losing its center. It usually happens when the stick is deflected. Then suddenly the stick position at that very time is automatically set as center point. Usually this can be cured by reconnecting the stick to throttle. But sometimes it doesn't work. When in the heat of battle, I don't even have time to reconnect the wire.

I've seen many other X52 users having this problem. And I've tried the registry fix others gave. But it doesn't work for me. Do you have any other suggestion?

Tully__
08-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Not for that one, I've never experienced it with my X52

jermin122
08-14-2011, 09:48 PM
That's weird. Anyway, thank you very much for the help.