PDA

View Full Version : Joystick options



fullbowe
11-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Greetings.

I was recently re-instated here. Back in June I was very rude and unproffesional to several people on this forum. I have been allowed back in, and I want to apologize for my unacceptable behavior. Going forward, I will be respectful of others and not make the same mistake I made a few months ago.

Now, I was wondering what joystick most of you good people use here. I have looked at a few, and I think maybe the Wingman from Microsoft might be a good one. But before I make a purchase, I'd like to hear from some people to hear pros and cons on what joystick they have.

Thank you again,
Kenny

campbell41
11-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I am new here so I don't know anything about what you are talking about. Anyway welcome back. I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and it does everything I would want it to. I got it from Provantage.com and it was a really good price. Since then I have noticed that you can get the Logitech cordless for about 5 bucks more than I paid for my corded one. Hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

3.JG51_BigBear
11-24-2005, 03:39 PM
I have the X-52 from Saitek. I really like the HOTAS setup, the software is easy to use, I think it looks slick and the action on the stick and throttle are excellent in my opinion. Before that I had the Saitek EVO which is a great bargain stick and a MS Force Feedback which was a great stick that served me well for many years but the shape of it was playing havoc with my injured wrist and the force feedback was always throwing off my aim.

FoolTrottel
11-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi Kenny, Welcome back!
(Just took a look at yer previous posts back in june ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

In short:
- Stay away from Logitech unless you want to use their warranty about twice a year ... (Sorry Campbell41!)
- The best thing seems to be the MS Precision Pro 2 (FFB?), but it's no longer being produced (ebay!)
- I use a Guillemot FFB stick, I like it very much, it's big and sturdy, but it's no longer being produced (it's not even on ebay!)
- Saitek is good, though lot's of choices ... evo and such ...
- CH products are good (Expensive though!)

>>Wait for more tips!

Have Fun!

DmdSeeker
11-24-2005, 03:51 PM
I've had MS sidewinders in the past; and they're very good if you can find one (check Ebay).

I had a Cougar and was extremely dissapointed with it; and ended up throwing it away.

I'ved had a Saitek X45 which was nice to use and easy to program; but I recently changed to a Saitek X-52; which I would say is the best allround set up I've had yet.

Bearcat99
11-24-2005, 04:29 PM
If you are in the U.S. then try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html). I dont know if they sip overseas. Tye Saiteks are good. Stay away from Logitech... they make good keyboards, mice, headphones and speakers.. but when it comes to joysticks they fall short.

campbell41
11-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Man!!!!!!!!! I wish I would have gotten on the board before I ordered my Logitech. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it. I am having a blast playing PF and can't wait to get the Gold Pack as soon as it comes back in stock at UBI.com hopefully pretty soon.

redfeathers1948
11-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Saitek HOTAS is the total answer for a fair price and I have gotten great support over the phone here in Las Vegas.

Tully__
11-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Of the joysticks still being manufactured and supported, I'd suggest you look through the offerings (in order of price from cheapest to most expensive) of:

Thrustmaster
Saitek
CH Products.

Anything about US$45 or more from any of those manufacturers should get you started, but for more info click the "Joysticks..." link under my signature picture and read the article it takes you to.

IDF_Raam
11-25-2005, 12:16 AM
CH combatsick is great (before i had saitek X45). Combined with CH ProPrdals & Saitek's X45 throttle i have a good combo.

harpic55
11-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Sorry guys, I have to tell you that I bought a Saitek EVO nearly a year go, and it was SO BAD, that I ditched it after 20 minutes. The basic stick is badly designed; the spring tension is so high that it topples the base and you need one hand holding down the base! Support? Saitek UK are very near me so you would think it was easy. No way; they just dont want to know. Please, do yourself a favour and buy something that is properly designed.

sparrow420
11-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I tried several Logitech's but to me it seems that the later the model, the worse they perform. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Therefore: I choose an old one, the Logitech Wingman Interceptor. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
It's old, it's sometimes difficult to convince XP that it is hooked up to my soundcard, but has 3(!) hat-switches, 5(!) fire buttons, throttle and no twist handle (I use pedals).

AND: the main reason why bought this pre-owned beauty is.... there are no potmeters that cause erratic spikes!

I wished that the vendors indicates CLEARLY on the box which of their products make use of http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif potmeters, and which use http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Hall-effect sensors or other noise and spike free non contact sensors.

If this one would break down, I think I would consider the Saitek X-52...


Cheers,

Sparrow

Tully__
11-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by harpic55:
Sorry guys, I have to tell you that I bought a Saitek EVO nearly a year go, and it was SO BAD, that I ditched it after 20 minutes. The basic stick is badly designed; the spring tension is so high that it topples the base and you need one hand holding down the base! Support? Saitek UK are very near me so you would think it was easy. No way; they just dont want to know. Please, do yourself a favour and buy something that is properly designed.

That's odd... my Evo is fine and very light in the springs.

BSS_CUDA
11-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
In short:
- Stay away from Logitech unless you want to use their warranty about twice a year ... (Sorry Campbell41!)


Agreed Logitech sticks are POS. I went through 3 in 4 months, same problems they kept loosing an axis, the cordless was a nightmare to fly with. especially if you trim out good. it would goto sleep on me because of the minimum input and then all of the sudden I need it for combat and it would be tring to calibrate itself while I was trying to dogfight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif. I got rid of them and went with a Saitech Evo. I've had it over a year now and the only "problem" I have with it is it is getting a little sloppy in the twist. I dont have peddals yet.

HossLanier_EBDA
11-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I just bought this game this week. I installed my Microsoft Sidewinder, it will not let me program anything. I can not move wing or rudders at all. any ideas? I have read ans searched this forum.

sparrow420
11-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi dlanier,

First thing to check: can you see the joystick in /start/control_panel/game_controllers?

If not: there's your problem... Making XP recognise the stick can be tricky, it involves tweaking (installing/uninstalling) HID-devices (Human-Interface-Devices) in the hardware manager...

But it should work: there are plenty of players using Sidewinders.

Good luck!

Sparrow

CraytonRoberts
11-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Haven't been at this site for a while
The best joystick, in my experience, is trhe M?s Force Feedback 2. Mine still is accurate, but the force feedback function suddenly evaporated,a few wekks ago, even tho it is "on" in the setup. Any ideas?

fullbowe
11-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Wow! Lots of options to think about and good suggestions from everyone. Pros and cons alike, the X52 looks incredible. The Evo would probably be more in my price range. But thanks for all the suggestions.

HossLanier_EBDA
11-26-2005, 09:44 PM
thanks guys, the game looks and plays like nothing else. I bought the Saitek Cyborg EVO. $39.99 love it... couldn't get the older MSFF Pro to map or play.

PERSEUS1953
11-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by fullbowe:
Greetings.

I was recently re-instated here. Back in June I was very rude and unproffesional to several people on this forum. I have been allowed back in, and I want to apologize for my unacceptable behavior. Going forward, I will be respectful of others and not make the same mistake I made a few months ago.

Now, I was wondering what joystick most of you good people use here. I have looked at a few, and I think maybe the Wingman from Microsoft might be a good one. But before I make a purchase, I'd like to hear from some people to hear pros and cons on what joystick they have.

Thank you again,
Kenny

If you can spend the $, we have examined all the available hotas combos and find that the thrustmaster cougar is, by far, the most realistic controller, not simple to program.
The x52 comes in second, but the spring tension on the stick is way too light for realism, this can be improved somewhat by shimming the spring.

polak5
12-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
I had a Cougar and was extremely dissapointed with it; and ended up throwing it away.



LOL who trows away a 280 dollar joystick?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif i mean seriously

polak5
12-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by dlanier248:
thanks guys, the game looks and plays like nothing else. I bought the Saitek Cyborg EVO..

Good choice buddy, same one i got. its a great joystick, it is super confortable. as u have more freedom. my only gripe is the position of the trootle http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

That being said, this joystick has lasted me more than i thought it would. Im defenetly geting another for xmas. *gift hint* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

wintergoose
12-01-2005, 03:35 AM
I am using the X45 and CD pedals.
When I started with IL2 I used a twistd logitech joystic with force feedback.
After a year I bought the CD pedals and everything chanced. To day I cant fly withouth the pedals. In the spring this year i bought the X45 witch also was a step up in controlling the plans and also made flying to a higher level for me.
But all of this costs money so it is up to what you can afford and how much you wants to put into your hobby.
My wish now is Track Ir, but here in Norway it is expensive to by I think it costs about 375 $ here.

PERSEUS1953
12-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I have the X-52 from Saitek. I really like the HOTAS setup, the software is easy to use, I think it looks slick and the action on the stick and throttle are excellent in my opinion. Before that I had the Saitek EVO which is a great bargain stick and a MS Force Feedback which was a great stick that served me well for many years but the shape of it was playing
havoc with my injured wrist and the force feedback was always throwing off my aim.

had any problems programming the rotary controls?
They seem to be way to coarse.