PDA

View Full Version : Free Bi-plane



M2morris
04-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Incomplete project was given to me, I've had it in storage for about 6 years. I am in central California. If you want the plane it's yours, just come and haul it away.

Just pieced together for photo
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/acro02.jpg

final product looks like this
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/StolpAcroduster.jpg

p-11.cAce
04-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Interesting - looks like a Pitts, but where is the Pitts "beer gut"?

Let's see - no flaps, short coupled, single-seat homebuilt biplane with unknown construction pedigree, sat for years in a non-climate controlled hanger - sounds safe to me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
04-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Well, I guess that's why it's for free then?

After all, it makes a good simpit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Skycat_2
04-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Sounds like this should will begin a career as a sim pit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

(Simms Pitts?)

Capt.LoneRanger
04-11-2007, 07:17 AM
The prop would make a nice CPU-Cooler. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LStarosta
04-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
The prop would make a nice CPU-Cooler. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

...or an X-4 guidance system. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Daiichidoku
04-11-2007, 08:45 AM
put it on e-bay

general_kalle
04-11-2007, 03:55 PM
i think you should make it a sim pit.
ive seen some pretty nice one of those.

slo_1_2_3
04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow, Free Airplane !! , not a real common phrase I'd think

Taylortony
04-11-2007, 04:28 PM
If you are serious please I implore you to put this to some good use, do not cut it up or generally give it away to someone that will do similar. Someone has put a lot of love and care into it to get it that far, please respect that.

Please consider donating it to the likes of these organisations

http://www.eaa96.org/

http://www.youngeagles.org/

http://www.eaa.org/index.html

where it will be used to help youngsters to come into the aviation world, it may be completed or used to train them and the feel good factor you will get will go a long way. It will also be a worthwhile use for it and who knows it may make it into the air.

Think how good you will fell from such a selfless act and how much you will please a group of kids http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I am in the UK but even here I have heard of the good work these fols do, if they cannot use it they will know a group that can.

VFS-214_Hawk
04-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Even for free, it's just too far for me! I live on the east coast! Nice project, here is mine!

http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_14822_1169341281_mod_275_206.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15017_1169341183_mod_272_204.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15019_1169341234_mod_272_204.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15020_1169341314_mod_280_210.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15053_1169341531_mod_277_208.jpg

...and the cowling molds!

M2morris
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Taylortony:
If you are serious please I implore you to put this to some good use, do not cut it up or generally give it away to someone that will do similar. Someone has put a lot of love and care into it to get it that far, please respect that.

Please consider donating it to the likes of these organisations

http://www.eaa96.org/

http://www.youngeagles.org/

http://www.eaa.org/index.html

where it will be used to help youngsters to come into the aviation world, it may be completed or used to train them and the feel good factor you will get will go a long way. It will also be a worthwhile use for it and who knows it may make it into the air.

Think how good you will fell from such a selfless act and how much you will please a group of kids http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I am in the UK but even here I have heard of the good work these fols do, if they cannot use it they will know a group that can.
Thanks, I never thought of donating it.
There is a long story behind this project, if I did'nt care I would'nt have kept it for so long.

T_O_A_D
04-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I know someone out there that might be able to help you.

I'll show him this thread, Too far away for me to be of use, or I'd consider it.

Stackhouse25th
04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
looks like its 70% complete. another 1000-1500 hours is all it will need. plus a 35,000$ engine.

i hear ERAU in prescott Arizona might want it. At least there it will receive proper attention.

erco415
04-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Too far for me as well. Have you contacted your local EAA chapter? I'm thinking that those folks might have a few ideas that could help. Check for a chapter near you here: http://www.eaa.org/chapter/chapter_locator.html

TX-EcoDragon
04-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up TOAD.

M2morris, I've got a few ideas for you, I'll send you a PM.

T_O_A_D
04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Your Welcome Eco,
I hope you guys work something effective out.

M2morris
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks TOAD, I Emailed a donation offer to ERAU also Stackhouse, but they will probly think I'm cooky.

TX-EcoDragon
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
M2Morris, I've got someone who will take it if it's still available. He's a good guy, who is a EAA and IAC competition pilot. He'll treat it right and being semi local you could see it's progress.

Check PT for his contact info.

Thanks!

TheGozr
04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TX-EcoDragon
04-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I just realized M2Morris that it was you who I once wrote to regarding you potentially doing your flight training in a tailwheel airplane. I hope things are working out with that.

M2morris
04-13-2007, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:
I just realized M2Morris that it was you who I once wrote to regarding you potentially doing your flight training in a tailwheel airplane. I hope things are working out with that.

Yes it was me, I was assuming I would be able to finish this plane someday, but family matters have guided my time and limited money in other directions. Too bad, well its good the plane will find a good home, it deserves it afterall, but I was thinking anyway that just for the cost of an engine I could eventally get a nice sailplane. Thanks for your help, I'll contact the guy as soon as I can.

NAFP_supah
04-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by VFS-214_Hawk:
Even for free, it's just too far for me! I live on the east coast! Nice project, here is mine!

http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_14822_1169341281_mod_275_206.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15017_1169341183_mod_272_204.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15019_1169341234_mod_272_204.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15020_1169341314_mod_280_210.jpg
http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com/_mgxroot/img_1137946601_15053_1169341531_mod_277_208.jpg

...and the cowling molds!

I think fitting an PW R2800 to that will give interesting results!

TX-EcoDragon
04-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by M2morris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:
I just realized M2Morris that it was you who I once wrote to regarding you potentially doing your flight training in a tailwheel airplane. I hope things are working out with that.

Yes it was me, I was assuming I would be able to finish this plane someday, but family matters have guided my time and limited money in other directions. Too bad, well its good the plane will find a good home, it deserves it afterall, but I was thinking anyway that just for the cost of an engine I could eventally get a nice sailplane. Thanks for your help, I'll contact the guy as soon as I can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Life can indeed take other turns that don't work well with flying. I certainly know about the struggle to pay the bills too. Between the time and money (upfront) of building an airplane it's a truly daunting task. Gliding is obviously an awesome thing to do as well, but if you did want to go the powered route I might suggest holding off on your own airplane in the beginning and do your training in a Cub or similar for a lot less money than you would spend on completing a project. . .if you wanted to own, you can find already built aircraft for a monthly payment about the same as a new car (over a longer term). Or better yet, buy a half share in something interesting which would be downright cheap in a Cub, Stinson or even a Pitts S1 (other than the insurance on the Pitts which is usually around 3-4k/yr). This way you are flying, and perhaps later on can get into the building side of things without the burden on the other aspects of your life, and hopefully while still getting to do some flying too!

I guess you probably already know all this. . . forgive the rambling. . .

M2morris
04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M2morris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:
I just realized M2Morris that it was you who I once wrote to regarding you potentially doing your flight training in a tailwheel airplane. I hope things are working out with that.

Yes it was me, I was assuming I would be able to finish this plane someday, but family matters have guided my time and limited money in other directions. Too bad, well its good the plane will find a good home, it deserves it afterall, but I was thinking anyway that just for the cost of an engine I could eventally get a nice sailplane. Thanks for your help, I'll contact the guy as soon as I can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Life can indeed take other turns that don't work well with flying. I certainly know about the struggle to pay the bills too. Between the time and money (upfront) of building an airplane it's a truly daunting task. Gliding is obviously an awesome thing to do as well, but if you did want to go the powered route I might suggest holding off on your own airplane in the beginning and do your training in a Cub or similar for a lot less money than you would spend on completing a project. . .if you wanted to own, you can find already built aircraft for a monthly payment about the same as a new car (over a longer term). Or better yet, buy a half share in something interesting which would be downright cheap in a Cub, Stinson or even a Pitts S1 (other than the insurance on the Pitts which is usually around 3-4k/yr). This way you are flying, and perhaps later on can get into the building side of things without the burden on the other aspects of your life, and hopefully while still getting to do some flying too!

I guess you probably already know all this. . . forgive the rambling. . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ramble-on. Hey you know what else, that Acroduster would have been like a crotch-rocket with wings anyway. I mean that thing is fully aerobatic, I would have gotten braver and braver and pushed the limit maybe too far. It's better that I give it away, for my wife and kids too.
But if I ever came into enough money to get what I really wanted I would get a cub:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/cubonfloats.jpg

FirecatJet
04-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I am an aerobatic instructor and airshow pilot with a business near San Fracisco. (See www.AttitudeAviation.com (http://www.AttitudeAviation.com) and www.FirecatJet.com.) (http://www.FirecatJet.com.)) I have plenty of hangar space to provide for the project while in work and a full maintenance operation to finish it. Please email me at AttAvJRP@aol.com