PDA

View Full Version : Sizing up the enemy

Pirschjaeger
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
I have recently just starting to fly online again. My skills have suffered greatly since I took a 9 month break from flying.

Knowing that I'm not as good as I used to be I fly a little more on the cautious side. Two nights ago I was flying a 109g2 and had no idea what the red would be flying, only that it was a historically accurate map and planes set. I expected Yaks anyway. While in the 109 I fear anything that spits out little green pieces of lead.

Upon seeing a spot in the distance(no icons)I immediately go for speed and fly in the spot's direction. Depending on the situation I may climb also but most importantly keep my eye on the elusive spot in the distance. As I get closer I see there is no more movement of the spot in any direction; he's either running or going for a headon. First thought, ok, he's inexperienced or has either too much or too little confidence.

Turns out, he was foolishly going for a headon. I thought this was silly cause he doesn't know what I'm flying and it was obvious I had alt advantage, therefor allowing me to being able to extend and gain a greater advantage. My assumption at this point is that if we survive our first pass he will try to turn and catch my 6. This is crazy IMHO because he has already lost a lot of energy trying to meet me while I have energy to boot.

At about what I figure is 700 to 800 meters I give a quick burst. The point is not to hit him but rather to startle him and take me out of his cross hairs. When he sees my guns light up it will have a psycological effect. As soon as I pull the trigger I turn slightly then back on course for the headshot. At this point we will be on a path that will make us pass wingtip to wingtip. Now I gives some rudder so I can strafe him as we pass. This worked well in this case. I hit him with a few shots and saw the flashes along the side of his fuselage.

At this point, I am still very cautious and still "sizing him up". Everyone, even aces make mistakes. I climb and slightly turn. We all know this is a great strength of the 109. During the pass I recognized my opponant was flying a Yak but I don't know which model.

Sure enough, he was quickly turning to try to get my 6. Ok, now I'm sure he's inexperienced. Now I have a great alt advantage while my opponant is climbing a ladder with a ton on his shoulders. I put him on my wingtip and slowly turned until I was more on his 6 than he was on mine. I rolled and dived for a next shot. I got him a few more times and just as I was starting to climb I was hit from my 6. There were three of them. Anyways, I managed to kill 2 and get my heavily damaged 109 back to base. Feeling very happy to have beaten two yaks and escaped the third I forgot to lower my landing gear while navigating a perfect landing through an oil covered windscreen. Someone got credit for my misfortunate memory loss. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

The point is, I never aggressively attack my enemy. I always assume a defensive posture allowing the choice of attacking or escaping; there's no shame in surviving. My first thought is to figure out what sort of pilot he is and then decide how to deal with him. I was just curious of whether you guyz do the same or what tells you about the enemy's abilities and experience.

Fritz

rnzoli
08-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
I was just curious of whether you guyz do the same or what tells you about the enemy's abilities and experience.

Oh man, your life is complicated. Since everyone is better than me, I don't need to look for clues whatsoever. How much better? I judge that by how many seconds I am allowed to live after the start of engagement http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Kuna15
08-18-2005, 02:33 AM
I fly against every opponent the same way, considering only plane he is flying. The more agressive I get, the better IMO. Otherwise, if I am not agressive I just may lost my initial advantage that I had before entering the fight or miss opportunity to gain advantage. Or lost an opportunity to bleed his advantage. And that is what IMO makes the difference in result.

F19_Ob
08-18-2005, 03:15 AM
He he....
I to have had a long vacation for 8 months or so.
My new puter is on the way and I hope I soon may enjoy online engagements with less stutters and pauses.

My supreme mastery in the skies will ofcourse be affected but I'll enjoy getting shot down by thinking opponents while I work my way up to immortality again. Hmmm, that wasn't too humble. I'll try again......

My skill level will surely be noticably lower(ja, better) but I hope to be back in the sadle soon again.

I'll rely a lot on my mates to be able to get back to base but being on the disadvantage side can be very fun, and often more thrilling than to be the untouchable one.
This experience I gladly recommend to all highpower riders out there.

Hope u fly on GG mr Pirschj├┬Ąger and that we meet as teammates , or opponents sometimes.
I very much enjoy good tacticians as opponents, especially if I and my m8's survive.

I remember a few flights where both I and my opponent had to give up because we both had exhausted our ammo. Usually someone wins but I very much liked those endings.
Once I was in the 109 fighting two experienced yak3. I was soon smoking heavily and shut off the engine and tried to emergencyland on a road, expecting to be fired upon. It never happened. The pilots were russians and I couldn't understand what they said but it apparently was a salute because they made a low pass in close formation and left.
On the track later I saw they flew to and from the battle in a tight formation and one of them covered the other while he was landing because he was damaged.
This latter was one of my nicest online tracks and I was very unhappy I lost it in a reformat a while ago and the disc i saved many of my best tracks on was corrupted.

That was a track from the early days when respecting the opponent was a big deal. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Pirschjaeger
08-18-2005, 03:51 AM
F19-ob, it seems like we have the same expectations and likes while flying online. Also, my situation was exactly as yours is now. The game out grew my pc and I had to give it up for a long time.

I'm assuming you haven't had the chance to try the new FM. It's not such a big change as some would like to claim but it does take a little getting used to.

I get the most enjoyment out of flying against tactical pilots. No luck is involved and there's no shame in being shot down after a long strategic battle. In fact I wish I could salute my enemy from my chute.

Something else you mentioned that caught my attention was the chivalry from the two yak pilots. I really appreciate this since most people online just think kill, kill, kill, and get credit. Once I've disabled an aircraft I let him go and sometime fly beside him a little ways while he's deadsticking to his crash landing. This adds a kind of "honour" to the game.

The other night, after seeing that I was no more a threat, three well coordinated yaks let me escape with my badly damaged smoking 109. I have to say that this really surpised me and left me thinking for a little while. I don't know who these guyz were but they were communication in Russian text. They definitely earn my respect.

One of my favorite fights was with Cajun. He had the P-47 and I the 109k4. We met at about 5000m and danced with each other for quite along time. Neither one got the better of the other and I had to break off and run for base since I had exhausted my fuel and was now deadsticking a dive. I don't have to make a kill to enjoy a mission. I simply enjoy a good challange and a good advisary. Whether we fly together online or against each other, I'll be happy to meet you online.

Fritz

danjama
08-18-2005, 04:00 PM
this reminds me of a fight the other night i had, it was about 20 mins long a real showdown, i was in a Yak3 and he was in a 109G6, we were at it for ages changin who had the advantage many times, then eventually i stalled at the top of a climbin turn(a stupid mistake after a tiring fight) and he got me, i immediately saluted him, but got no reply and wrote an angry message, then he apologised that he was polish and tok ages to write what he wanted to say in english to me, i was touched and apologised for my coldness right away, then we laughed and Saluted again without interuption to the mutual respect. Man i love those moments, i am so used to disrespectful people i sometimes forget there are good pilots out there.

p1ngu666
08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
its nice to fly with nice ppl http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

just curious as to what u would have done if u was in yak..

Ankanor
08-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Since I'm not a good pilot at all, the limited success that I've had online is something like this. Start in a Dora, climb, cruise merrily at 5000m, patrol, more patrol(I have terrible eyesight for the enemy) finally I see a furball at 2 000, it looks like our boys are on the receiving end(british and american tracers) so I move, check the sun, clouds and immediate vicinity, then it's a 3K highspeed dive, level out on the tail of a Spit or Mustang, aim, fire and up again. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss, but the more important thing is they stop spraying the Me109 they were chasing and sometimes try to go after me. Then another FW190 that was waiting above for a victim dives and finishes him. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Pirschjaeger
08-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Ankanor:
Since I'm not a good pilot at all, the limited success that I've had online is something like this. Start in a Dora, climb, cruise merrily at 5000m, patrol, more patrol(I have terrible eyesight for the enemy) finally I see a furball at 2 000, it looks like our boys are on the receiving end(british and american tracers) so I move, check the sun, clouds and immediate vicinity, then it's a 3K highspeed dive, level out on the tail of a Spit or Mustang, aim, fire and up again. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss, but the more important thing is they stop spraying the Me109 they were chasing and sometimes try to go after me. Then another FW190 that was waiting above for a victim dives and finishes him. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

That pretty much sums it up for BnZ. BnZ is fairly simple in terms of tactics but it's hard as he11 to hit the target. I have a tendenacy to collide with my target. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Fritz

danjama
08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
"just curious as to what u would have done if u was in yak.."

Are you actually asking or just taking the monkey out ofthe yak? lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif If you are asking i can tell you my advanced methods of fightin in the yak. I have recently mastered it and its now my primary plane.