PDA

View Full Version : review on eDimensional 3d glasses please

Ritter_Cuda
10-30-2006, 09:05 PM
when surfing fofun I came across this
https://edimensional.com/index.php?ref=397&affiliate_banner_id=56
now being made by the same folks That made IRtracker made me wonder are they any good? anyone use them? do they work For FB/acp/PF/pe?
anyone care to jump in on this ?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.earthlink.net/~chevalvolant/sig_cuda1.jpg

Doug97
11-21-2006, 05:52 PM
I bought these, tried them for about 5 minutes. Completely useless, half the time the 3D effect doesn't even work because of the way the instrument panel is rendered (e.g. in MSFS ... the dials looked like they were 1000 yards away).

Save your money and buy yourself a couple of fat ******s instead ...

Darkbluesky
11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Strange, MSFS2004 is a very good in 3D (with the exception of a couple of details, not the dials of course), and AFAIK the last MSFS's are good also in 3D. Which version you tried? Did you used nvidia or edimensional drivers?

Do you have specific information?

Doug97
11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't rightly recall the details as it was a few years ago ... I do remember it was MSFS 2002.

rafaellorena
11-23-2006, 02:26 PM
i buy the e-d but dont works with fb =/ ... when i activate the stereo comes the crash to desktop or the image is black with a square white =/ ... but another games works great... what i can do to fix?

Darkbluesky
11-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by rafaellorena:
i buy the e-d but dont works with fb =/ ... when i activate the stereo comes the crash to desktop or the image is black with a square white =/ ... but another games works great... what i can do to fix?

What drivers version are you using? Although there are people that can make it work with the last drivers, I had also problems, as you, with the last pack of drivers. These CTD problem disappeared when using the first 9x.xx series drivers release (I'm not sure now though) or sure using the last drivers version before 9x.xx series.

Remember to use Perfect landscape (OGL)

rafaellorena
11-28-2006, 03:40 AM
i try the 91.31 and 91.47 , but now that dont help to much.. i buy a 1950xtx =/ .. the e-d ati driver works fine?

Hoatee
11-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Me glasses arrived today.

So far, not so good. It's evidently not plug and play - they don't work with the supplied drivers on disk. There seem to be later versions available but so far I haven't a clue as to which is the 'latest' driver. No 3d effect perceived as yet in IL2+ and that's the only game that works with the drivers. All the other games have crashed so far.

Perhaps the ATI 9200 SE card isn't the best card to try it on. I'll need some time to fiddle around with it a bit more - I'm off to play in 'normal' mode now, later all.

Hoatee
11-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Day two and some progress has been made.

After reinstalling the drivers, I see a 3d environment while in the cockpit. It looks promising but I don't see the wings, for example. No amount of fiddling with the F6 and F7 keys seem to get that right.

Other games still crash. BF42 I would have expected to work but it refuses duty with 3d glasses. Same story with BF2 and COD2. Edimensional software tells you in text as the games load saying they are in DiectX 9 normal mode. In Silent Hunter III the monitor apparently displays the left image only everytime the 3d effect is turned on.

But, hey, I got to see the cockpits in 3D - and that's quite an impressive sight. It's weird so far seeing no wings (I can get them to appear but very out of focus). Also there's a fair amount of flickering but that's 'cos me ATI 9200 SE 128MB video card doesn't seem to be able to handle high refresh rates.

Forgot to try LoMac 1.02 - off to try that now.

rafaellorena
11-29-2006, 03:18 PM
i play the cod2 . and works nice.. but i only try in directx9 ... look very good.. the deep sensation is impresive, changes the way you play ... very nice!

Hoatee
11-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Lomac 1.02 won't work in 3d (neither does COD2) ie only one of the two necessary images is displayed.

The rest of today I had fun watching tracks in IL2+. Switching between external and internal views is a no-no tho. The depth settings for cockpit view don't work for external views. And now I can see the wings while in the cockpit, but the rest of the pit doesn't spring out at you from the screen as much as a result. And aiming the guns would appear to be a problem - I won't fly and fight with these glasses on as yet.

External view is very impressive and makes a very good substitute for collecting model planes (which is what I used to do as a kid - there were no pc's in my youth). Sometimes though it looks as though one plane in the foreground stands out (in front of the screen for you to grab, so to speak), set off against a 2d screen (like playacting on stage).

But even then it's rather a lot better than watching the whole thing in 2 dee flat.

Hoatee
12-05-2006, 05:22 AM
After about a week now with the glasses, the following summary :

The wings disappearing act I described above in a previous post is now resolved (it's all down to learning how to use the F6 and F7 keys) and the sim looks great in 3d. Sometimes it looks as though the planes are flying around right in front of you with shell casings and smoke and stuff whizzing past your face. Other times it seems more like you are looking through a window.

My setup consists of a [1] desktop with p4 running at 2.66 ghz on 512MB memory and armed with an ATI radeon 9200 SE with 128MB memory and [2] laptop with Pentium M running at 1.72Ghz on 1GB memory and armed with an ATI X700 card with 128MB memory.

Oleg's game ran flawlessly with the supplied drivers on disk (mine were version 5) and on both machines making use of openGL. Lomac 1.02 works fine on the desktop (using DirectX 8 drivers and again in contrast to a previous post above) as does Wings over Europe (WoE). It surprised me though that both Lomac 1.12a and WoE run very sluggishly on the laptop (which I always thought to be the better of my two machines).

Games which do not work (as of yet) are COD2, BF2, BF42, SHIII. They all seem to make use of DirectX. But then again maybe I am doing something wrong which I haven't figured out as yet (after a week, bear in mind). Still, I wish they would run with as little fiddle as does IL2 + FB2 + AEP + PF + PE2.

rafaellorena
12-05-2006, 02:21 PM
how driver of ati you have?

Hoatee
12-06-2006, 06:35 AM
That's something I still have to look into and hopefully will help resolve my problems. It's 5.8 on my desktop and I've never had to update the drivers on my laptop (all my games ran fine, so I never bothered updating the drivers 'til these glasses).

It's always a process of elimination in resolving problems. LoMac 1.02, for example, didn't run with the glasses initially because it's apparently very picky about what screen resolution it's run in (it now looks great in 3d!).

Anywaze, I'll post when and if (and how) I got the glasses to work with the games I listed above.

Hoatee
12-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Last update : on the laptop I can play Lomac and IL2+ and Wings over Europe now without the sluggish framerates I mentioned above. It had everything to do with the slider settings for OpenGL and Direct3D for the graphics card (a setting for one card does not necessarily work for another). But I still can't get any other games to work with the glasses (only flight combat sims seem to work) - so I guess I'll have to purchase an Nvidia card to reap the full benefit.

A final note about IL2+ ATI cards and 3d glasses - the glasses do not like the perfect setting for landscape ingame (no nice water - awww). And before I forget, Lomac runs fine but the glasses don't like clouds (you'll see 2d posters instead of them - and don't worry, the clouds draw properly in IL2+ with the glasses on).

Conclusion : these edimensional glasses work well with IL2+ running under ATI cards. Personally, I prefer the external views. And if you have an Nvidia card you are even better off because of the greater support for more games.

Darkbluesky
12-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Nice review Hoatee in ATI cards, tx.

Just in case someone wonders if ed drivers work also with nvidia cards, I have tried Edimensional drivers as well with my nvidia. They work also.

crim3cost
01-18-2007, 04:13 AM
I'm looking forward to get a z800 from emagin. Maybe 3 months more and everything will be stable in my life and I'll do the expenditure.
In the meantime..... last week I luckily discovered at a forum that nvidia's stereo drivers have anaglyph mode. I've got this nvidia since last summer and I didn't know it! What a waste of time! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I've spent most of the time this days with lomac, as it works in stereo flawlessly. Yesterday I give another try to 'sturmovik: 1946' and, when I realized that the weapons reticle was collimated to infinity, I got shocked... how nice and realistic does it look! :O That proves that the original IL2 was designed with stereo 3D in mind. I still haven't got enough time to try more sims, but I don't think that I will find another one with collimated reticle or HUD (in the case of modern jets sims).
In just a week of experiencing the 3D effect I can't go back to the nasty 2D world, even with the lost of color in anaglyph mode. Visual quality has become secondary to me.
I've been digging the internet too see if the glitches that appear in IL2 in 3D stereo can be solved with no luck :'( and, really, I can't stand it in 2D anymore.
I just wanted to rise this thread to see if there is fresh information, or for the confirmation that everything stays the same (most sure, I know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ).
I've seen that a mail to Maddox Games was proposed at this thread. Was it sent?

Hoatee
01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
My update is :

I agree that Lomac works the best with edimensional's glasses (+ ati card in my case) - really superb. The trick is to set the Direct3D slider in ATI's display control panel to halfway - any higher and the fps drops dramatically. Clouds also render properly - everything, in fact. That's also a benefit from using the driver update on edimensional's site over the ones supplied on CD btw.

The latest driver update on 'the' site gives you some numeric counters at the bottom lefthand corner of the screen so that shift and depth can be set precisely.

I bought COD1 specially for the glasses and that game looks cool too. Still no luck on the other games mentioned in previous posts.

This game works fine updated to 4.071. And another reason why I woudn't fly and fight with the glasses is that looking for bogeys in the distance is a hassle 'coz I see the specks double. But external views is excellent as you can fiddle with the shift settings to make the planes appear between you and the screen.

That's about it.