PDA

View Full Version : Arkham City similarities

Altair661
10-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I recently beat the main story as well as all the side missions on Arkham City the other day. Very good game. However I feel, that while these games have major differences, AC could take a few pointers from Arkham City. For instance, the way they did side missions. It spanned the entire game and would actually tie into the main story to a certain point. Rather than just beat up some chicks husband.

While the "random events" seem to changes things for the better, I still think AC could look at Arkham City's success and take some advice. Since they are basically the only 3rd person open world games coming out this holiday season. <span class="ev_code_WHITE">*SPOILERS* But when Batman used the sword at the end to beat Clayface, I couldn't help but think of Ezio in a BAtman suit*SPOILERS END*</span>

I also like how they did the combat system. The fluency as well as the implementation of using his various gadgets was very cool. While AC does this, I'd love to seem them expand on it. Say he counters one guy kills him, turns on the next and kills him, throws a knife at another, blast the next with a gun, then throw down a smoke grenade and take out the rest. Key Word: Fluency and with ease, while keeping the feeling of being a Bad A** while it still being difficult. However Im not a game designer so it's easier said than done. But the combat system they have is good either way as it is now.

So did anyone see any similarities between the two and maybe even some details they'd like to see?

Animuses
10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
As much as I love Arkham City, Assassin's Creed should not take pointers from it.

Assassin's Creed is Assassin's Creed.

Altair661
10-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Well I don't necessarily mean take directly from it, I like AC just as it is as well. I just meant it was interesting to see how Arkham City tackled it. And with Ubisoft sort of sticking to their guns with what works, while still throwing in some new things, they could just see how else it could be done. I'm fairly certain Arkham City could've possibly taken pointers from AC. Considering they are failry similar.

SPROGGY
10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Forgive me for the slightly off topic reply. But how what was your overall opinion of the game? How were the stealth elements? Was it worthy of the awesome reviews it got? Ive been considering buying the game for the last week but with so many games coming out in the next month im hesitant.

kriegerdesgottes
10-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by deepego3:
Forgive me for the slightly off topic reply. But how what was your overall opinion of the game? How were the stealth elements? Was it worthy of the awesome reviews it got? Ive been considering buying the game for the last week but with so many games coming out in the next month im hesitant.

amazing, amazing and amazing. It's worth every penny.

Abeonis
10-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
As much as I love Arkham City, Assassin's Creed should not take pointers from it.

Assassin's Creed is Assassin's Creed.

That's a very narrow-minded way to view things. If everybody felt that way, the litle things like evolution, inspiration and creativity would no longer exist. You also seem to be forgetting that Assassin's Creed takes a lot of "pointers" from other game series already, Prince of Persia mostly; yes, I'm aware they are both Ubisoft IPs, but that wasn't your point.

Originally posted by deepege3:

The game is certainly worth purchasing.

Sevenofnine-st
10-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Altair661:
I recently beat the main story as well as all the side missions on Arkham City the other day. Very good game. However I feel, that while these games have major differences, AC could take a few pointers from Arkham City. For instance, the way they did side missions. It spanned the entire game and would actually tie into the main story to a certain point. Rather than just beat up some chicks husband.

I'm replaying AC2 these days and some of the side-missions (namely the assassination contracts) do tie in with the story. For example, while you're in Firenze in Sequence 5, you can do missions coming from Lorenzo de Medici and his requests are related to what is actually going on in the main story. I agree that the beat-up missions are rather pointless but it's not the case with all side-missions.

E-Zekiel
10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
If they were gonna take anything from Arkham City, I wouldn't really have it relate to the combat, unless they want to give us the option to more easily dispatch foes without killing them (like how in Arkham City you can just destroy a weapon after taking it away from them). But for the most part, Assassin's Creed combat system is great and doesn't really need changes imo. Arkham City's is great too, but I don't really feel you can incorporate elements from either into the other without kind of messing it up somehow.

If they were gonna take anything, I would say make it some stealth stuff. Going under greats, hiding behind breakable walls, jumping through windows. Corner K.O.'s, etc.

In fact, in AC3 (not AC:R) with more modern day time than ever, it will probably be very necessary to incorporate such things, in order to get around gunfire and such.

Biomedical-Fire
10-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deepego3:

amazing, amazing and amazing. It's worth every penny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree, a very amazing game, it's definitely worth a purchase to add to any game collection. Plus the WB & Rocksteady gave NA a pretty decent CE to boot, unlike some companies I know *cough* Ubisoft *cough*. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

rileypoole1234
10-24-2011, 06:51 PM
It was a good game. I thought Asylum was better though. More claustrophobic and frantic. I think Assassin's Creed is my favorite series though. The Uncharted series comes very, very close to it. We'll have to see how amazing Uncharted 3 is (Hopefully it'll be amazing). I think Assassin's Creed should just stay the way it is. It has a unique feel and story so I think it shouldn't be touched. I believe a feature shouldn't be tampered with unless they can come up with an original way to improve it.

flyingeaglemile
10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
How long was Arkham city main story? Before the game came out I heard 20 hours but comments from youtube say only 4 hours.

Jexx21
10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by flyingeaglemile:
How long was Arkham city main story? Before the game came out I heard 20 hours but comments from youtube say only 4 hours.

I'd expect the same as Asylum, and that was 10 hours for me.

scout455
10-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I haven't play Arkham city YET but if AC's combat wer a little more fluid like batman then this game would be sick. Althogh it already is sick and the fighting is OKAY it could use some work from batman. I don't like the constant wait for someone to attack to start a chain and make it look more assume flbut the combat in batman is epic. But I'm cool with the way AC is now.

kriegerdesgottes
10-24-2011, 08:24 PM
It took me two days of constant playing with little to no sleep to get through the main campaign without touching any side missions or the riddler trophies or even the challenge missions.

Jexx21
10-24-2011, 09:08 PM
good god man. I want Arkham City so badly now, but I can't get it until the 15th.

Animuses
10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
I know what game I'm getting on the 15th. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

RzaRecta357
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
It truly is an amazing batman game. Been playing it straight since release.

Anyway, ACR IS trying to do things like this. It's taking the "Production Quality" from Uncharted which just means the shakey camera following the action. Plus they are trying to tie all the gameplay elements into the story or something like that. And adding side missions that are random like Red Dead.

They get lots of ideas from other games and you can tell.

LordWolv
10-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Although the combat flowed very well and was really enjoyable, my favourite bit of Arkham City was the 'Free running'. Once you master it, it feels amazing. A combination of gliding, grappling and dive bombing through the city at great speed is genuinely awesome.

10 hours was also the time it took me for the campaign. I was really sceptical about buying Batman, because despite the reviews, Batman to me sounds like a stupid comic.

gharlazufarc
10-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Ezio is a renaissance Batman you know, with those gadgets and cape

wapikas
10-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Altair661:
AC could take a few pointers from Arkham City. For instance, the way they did side missions. It spanned the entire game and would actually tie into the main story to a certain point. Rather than just beat up some chicks husband.

I too find that AC side missions are quite random, and are there for just sake of doing something. Another way to improve this would be making some side story lines. I actually liked Copernicus missions in ACB because of that.

Altair661
10-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Arkham City is an amazing game. It took me about 3 days to get through the campaign and around 15 hours, mostly because I doing alot of the side missions with it. But I'm just now tipping the iceberg with the challenge maps and I'm only 60% complete with my first playthrough. Definetly the best 60 dollars I've spent since L.A. Noire for me. I would highly suggest picking it up even if you didnt play the first one.

*SPOILERS* However I was kinda dissapointed Robin only showed up once, I was kinda hoping for more of importance for him. And maybe even Nightwing make an appearance? I know they're DLC but they could've fit in the story I think.*SPOILERS END*

And I do stand corrected that some of the side missions tie into the story, but to a certain extent most of them don't. What they should do is have bigger more important side missions, like for instance in Arkham City, they're was dead shot, who was running around assassinating important political figures through the story and Batman had to track down and take him out. Something like that.