PDA

View Full Version : What PC to recommend to Brit friend who wants to play FB now & in World of the Future

jamesdietz
09-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Recently I had a houseguest from Abington England ( Home of MG!) He had never played FB but rapidly became a fan & wanted to go back home & modify his ancient computer to be able to fly missions. I consuled against this suggesting a new computer would be a far better way to go ,esp if you could plan on it being compatable with up & coming BoB in '05-'06( or could be modified & added to.) I promised I would approach the game community of the gamesite & seek their advice.So here I am what should he buy? In England,where should he go to buy a PC that could be set up the way he needs it to be? I know from bitter experience that trying to make an older PC try to keep up with this game can be frustrating , so perhaps one of you out there can get this friend off on the right foot? Also what would be the best accessories ( joysticks , pedals etc.) avilable in England & where he might find themThanks!

jamesdietz
09-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Recently I had a houseguest from Abington England ( Home of MG!) He had never played FB but rapidly became a fan & wanted to go back home & modify his ancient computer to be able to fly missions. I consuled against this suggesting a new computer would be a far better way to go ,esp if you could plan on it being compatable with up & coming BoB in '05-'06( or could be modified & added to.) I promised I would approach the game community of the gamesite & seek their advice.So here I am what should he buy? In England,where should he go to buy a PC that could be set up the way he needs it to be? I know from bitter experience that trying to make an older PC try to keep up with this game can be frustrating , so perhaps one of you out there can get this friend off on the right foot? Also what would be the best accessories ( joysticks , pedals etc.) avilable in England & where he might find themThanks!

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-24-2004, 09:48 AM
It all really depends on his budget of course, but here is a good starting point:

A modest rig to play everything now and in the immediate future

1. Should be at least a P4 2.8
2. Should have 1 gig ram
3. definitely get a new gen Vid card (X800 or preferably 6800 series)
4. A good sound card in the Audigy 2 range

Beyond these things, it becomes a matter of preference (i.e. optical drives, Hard drives etc,...)

This would run everything well right now and even in the near future.

If a higher budget is possible then one of the AMD 64 bit processors (FX-53!) would be nice, but either way make sure you get one of the newer Vid cards and 1 gig ram minimum.

TB

LeadSpitter_
09-24-2004, 02:57 PM
the latests pentium4 800 1gig FSB and hyper thredding or cheaper amd64.

It doesnt really matter much which high end pc but the ammount and type of ram speed 1-2 gig ddr above 500mhz.

And high end videocard matters the most with these games. And dont buy a pc with any integrated parts which are built into the mother board. Look at a bunch of benchmark tests on mobos at http://www.tomshardware.com/