PDA

View Full Version : New EVGA MoBo Il2 benchmarks as promised

Choctaw111
02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, I got this new EVGA MoBo (nForce 680 SLI) and did some extensive testing and tweaking and here is what I've got.

All tests are done with water=4, 3dgunners=1, effects=0, forest=2, 16xAA, 16xAF (someone please tell me if there are any others that I should list)

Black Death
Min 23
Max 132 (for an instant)
Avg 47

Kamikaze
Min 15
Max 171
Avg 45

3dMark06

Now lets compare that with the ASUS MoBo (Striker Extreme) shall we...

Black Death
Min 29
Max 109
Avg 74

Kamikaze
Min 27
Max 239
Avg 72

3dMark06

The final verdict is...Well it's really not difficult to see. The Striker kicks the EVGA's @ss. There is a lot of stuttering and slowdowns in Il2 with the EVGA. Even if this MoBo lasted for 10 years, which from a reliability standpoint is great, from a performance standpoint is less than desirable for me. The Striker handles Il2 VERY well, with no slowdowns or stutters (unless you fly over Berlin or some other large city). The EVGA just seems to strain and grunt with Il2 using the SAME settings that I was using with the Striker. The ONLY downside to the Striker is the reliability issues that I have had. I have gone through FOUR, count them, FOUR boards in less than a year which is unheard of. When the Striker works, it's a gem, but who wants their PC in the shop a few times a year.
I am a man of honor and integrity and I must say that given that fact that my PC has had to be "fixed" so many times over the course of the last 11 months, I was a little upset with ASUS and I spoke, or typed, out of anger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Maybe I had a right to be upset. Bottom line is that I have another Striker on the way, and when it arrives it is going into this machine, and I will keep my fingers crossed and hope this MoBo will last for a while. The way I see it, the Striker is like a Ferrari that is always in the shop. You have all that speed but there is something that's always "busted" on it. In a way I would rather be driving a Trabant. It may be a lot slower but she'll always get you there. Nah, who am I kidding. I want the Ferrari!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Edit...A thing about EVGA customer service. I heard it was stellar. I did call them, got cut off TWICE, without ever talking to anyone, got through the third time, and after about 15 minutes (the fellow was nice) he couldn't get this machine to run any better and he finally told me that he was on too long with me, he had to get off and take the next call. Can you believe that? I never heard of anything like that before.

TheGozr
02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
It depend of many things here..

Choctaw111
02-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TheGozr:
It depend of many things here..

You are the guru when it comes to things like this. Could you please be more specific. Any other things I can try to improve performance? My performance using the Striker MoBo were great compared to this EVGA MoBo.

GBrutus
02-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I have this board and I have to say I'm very happy with it. I'm puzzled as to why you should get that drop in performance running the same settings as before. All I can think of right now is that maybe you need to adjust some settings in the bios. I really don't think your MoBo is the problem unless you got a duff one.

steiner562
02-16-2008, 09:45 PM
How many frames did you lose> or whats the problem?,you were very vague mate in your assesment.
Edit ok I didnt see you scores first time round,if you have tweaked everything then that sucks,but I wouldn't give up just yet.

mortoma
02-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Is everything else totally equal in the comparison? Same processor, same exact memory modules and the like?

Choctaw111
02-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
Is everything else totally equal in the comparison? Same processor, same exact memory modules and the like?

Yes, same everything.

Capt.LoneRanger
02-17-2008, 01:58 PM
What about the BIOS settings? And did you do a fresh install of your system after switching the board?

I also got an EVGA 680i board with a 6600 C2D @ 3.6GHz and a single 8800GTS 640MB AC3. With your settings I get an average FPS of 137 in TheBlackDeath.

R_Target
02-17-2008, 03:25 PM
There must be a setting you missed somewhere. A discrepancy that big between two contemporary boards would be big news indeed.

bmoffa
02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, I too have a 680i (under the XFX label). But I'm only running a single 8800 GT with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz. Res 1152x864 32-bit. Runnng water=4, Perfect, etc. I get this:

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
9326, 155434, 18, 78, 59.1000

Max is 78 because I have VSync ON.

Choctaw111
02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
What about the BIOS settings? And did you do a fresh install of your system after switching the board?

I also got an EVGA 680i board with a 6600 C2D @ 3.6GHz and a single 8800GTS 640MB AC3. With your settings I get an average FPS of 137 in TheBlackDeath.

No, I did not do a fresh install. I have so much stuff I would have to put back on here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif Maybe I should try that, but I sure don't want to. Should I decide to take the plunge and do a fresh install, I would like to know your settings in the NVidia control panel, and a copy of your conf.ini would be nice as well...so I can look at it BEFORE I do this.

I did do a clean install of the graphics drivers, which did give me an increase of 5 fps.

Choctaw111
02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
One other thing to note. I am running at 1920x1200 res, the same as before.

Xiolablu3
02-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:

Yes, same everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you reformat the Harddrive and reinstall windows and drivers between the tests?

Or were there remnants of the other boards drivers left on the Hard drive?

EDIT: I see you didnt.

You really should do for a proper test.

Once you have the new board in, reformat the system and reinstall all the drivers.

I remember when I first put in my Geforrce 2 MX after using a RAGE Pro all those years ago, the MX was severly castrated in performance until I had reformatted.

DOnt ask me why, but it was. I tried removing all traces of ATI from my system, registry etc, but it made no difference until I reformatted. Then I saw the true power of my MX (at the time lol)

Choctaw111
02-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Dang! The more I hear, the more it sounds like I really do need to reformat and reinstall Windows. I am really not looking forward to doing this as I would have so much to reinstall.