PDA

View Full Version : Nose guns convergence

Call_me_Kanno
03-22-2005, 05:52 PM
I any plane that has the guns in the nose such as the P-38, Me-262 or A-20 Havok you should set the guns convergence out further than a plane with the guns in the wings. For example I'll set mine to around 600 or 700 meters, sometimes more. Reason being is the guns are already tightly grouped as it is and a longer convergence will allow for a greater distance hit as well as the close in shot. This maybe already widely known but some of the new members might be unaware of this.

S~Kanno

Call_me_Kanno
03-22-2005, 05:52 PM
I any plane that has the guns in the nose such as the P-38, Me-262 or A-20 Havok you should set the guns convergence out further than a plane with the guns in the wings. For example I'll set mine to around 600 or 700 meters, sometimes more. Reason being is the guns are already tightly grouped as it is and a longer convergence will allow for a greater distance hit as well as the close in shot. This maybe already widely known but some of the new members might be unaware of this.

S~Kanno

Henkie_
03-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Thx, I didn't know that.

But I have some questions because I don't uinderstand it also.

How can 1 nosegun make a convergence? Don't you must have 2 guns for it?

And what means that distance for 1 gun?

Is the nosegun placed a bit more pointing up in the nose if you make the convergence bigger?

Longjocks
03-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Kanno, that's not 100% correct as far as I see it. Weapon range and accuracy is a factor. Each weapon has a divergence in its spread of bullets. At long ranges it won't matter about the convergence because of this. In fact you are depriving yourself of a much more lethal kill zone at closer range. Futhermore, if you simultaneously use cannon and MGs, you will not likely have them both hit if you choose to have identical convergence for each as cannon rounds will fall faster.

I often extend the convergence range of planes with mainly nose-mounted guns, but only by an extra hundred metres or so. You really need to find the sweet spot for the different weapons regardless of where they are mounted though.

@ Henkie - I think you'll find a nose gun is fixed. The other weapons will converge along its path. Convergence is not adjusted on the vertical plane, but the horizontal.

BelaLvgosi
03-23-2005, 05:59 AM
"Convergence is not adjusted on the vertical plane, but the horizontal. "

Weird, I find the opposite and to be for both, just try a bf109 with mk108 and aim at a bomber with convergence set at 500m, when you are aligned in the 400-450m range (I guess due to the extra travel and low muzzle velocity) you only need to center it in the crosshairs. I guess if it was simply shooting 100% horizontal it would be impossible to hit for such projectile.

tigertalon
03-23-2005, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henkie_:
Thx, I didn't know that.

But I have some questions because I don't uinderstand it also.

How can 1 nosegun make a convergence? Don't you must have 2 guns for it?

And what means that distance for 1 gun?

Is the nosegun placed a bit more pointing up in the nose if you make the convergence bigger? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, Henkie_

Well, with defining convergence distance, you set the point, where bullets or shells should meet with your line of sight. This means also verticaly, not only horisontaly.

Since nose mounted guns are usually below sighting line, setting convergence FAR, will make bullets fly more parallel to sighting line. If you set the convergence short, eg. 100 m, bullets will climb, at 100 m they cross line of sight, and then climb on...

On Fw190 I use 400m convergence for all weapons only to make them shoot flat. It is easyer to aim this way, especially for deflection shootin together with porked Fw forward view...

Uh, I hope it all makes sense.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Convergence can also be where the path of the projectile meets the line of sight. Thus a single weapon CAN have a convergence setting...I'm just saying.

I keep my nose-mounted guns at 500...works for me.

TB