PDA

View Full Version : Tacky Manual

Mozzie_21
11-05-2004, 10:16 PM
I just got around to reading the manual and, at the risk of sounding like I am whining, OMFG it is very tacky.

There are pictures missing, pictures from Il2, the part about the bomb site repeats itself. The mistakes are obvious. Surely they could have found someone to read through it.

heywooood
11-05-2004, 10:21 PM
I am sure they found several people to read through it...just that they were people who use english as a second language, be sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
11-05-2004, 10:35 PM
The manual is just the original Il2 manual with a couple new paragraphs and screenshots. So it feels sort of patched together but its basically useless anyway. No one is going to print the volume of literature you used to get with games like European Air War and since so many things change in the patches it really only makes sense that the important stuff comes in the readmes.

Waldo.Pepper
11-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Thank you for reading it nontheless. You will have less questions about the obscure now.

Tocca4
11-05-2004, 11:12 PM
There's so many things about PF that makes it feel more like an addon than a standalone product.
Sure, you can use it as an addon. But it also is a standalone.

Most people, or atleast many, that buys PF already have FB+ACE i think, but thoose that are unfamiliar with IL2 and just goes out and buy PF is in for a bit of a shock i think.

I love PF, and the good things by FAR outweighs the bad, but imo it should either have been released as a pure addon or it should've been worked on a lot more before release.

Reading the manual for a newcomer to the series must be odd. For example what Mozzie_21 says. Or the FMB part (in the manual in the PF dir at the HD) where it explains that the red side is the Soviet union and the blue is Germany...

It's not a big deal really, but it does give the impression that PF should've been released as an addon only.

Mozzie_21
11-06-2004, 12:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Thank you for reading it nontheless. You will have less questions about the obscure now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome.

I don't realy care that much that the manual isn't that great, but it is very un-professional and a I would imagine that it would scare a lot of people away.

madsarmy
11-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Well I think that's the whole A-Z of what's wrong with PF covered now.

Hans_Philipp
11-06-2004, 03:52 AM
In a time when they are concerned with piracy, they should really pay attention to issues like the manual, supply, simultaneous product launch worldwide etc.

I downloaded a pirated copy, then 2 weeks later bought the game as well to support it. What I got was kinda dissapointing.

Nige_Reconman
11-06-2004, 06:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hans_Philipp:
In a time when they are concerned with piracy, they should really pay attention to issues like the manual, supply, simultaneous product launch worldwide etc.

I downloaded a pirated copy, then 2 weeks later bought the game as well to support it. What I got was kinda dissapointing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO!!! That's great, were you concerened with the manual quality when you pirated the game at all? It is there as a PDF file that has all the correct pictures/chapter headings. Though it is great to see you supported oleg by actually buying the game in the end which is what mattters, that puts you in a different category than most pirates who wouldn't pay for any game.

fabianfred
11-06-2004, 07:51 PM
i just picked up a mint copy of the manual for 'Aces over Europe' 1993 in a secondhand bookshop....

wow they made good one then...

I'd love to see the one they made for its successor 'aces over the Pacific'.... anyone got a copy?

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fabianfred:
i just picked up a mint copy of the manual for 'Aces over Europe' 1993 in a secondhand bookshop....

wow they made good one then...

I'd love to see the one they made for its successor 'aces over the Pacific'.... anyone got a copy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dynamix was King of Good Manuals http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif AotP came out before Aces of Europe. I remember buying it in the mysterious new "IBM Compatible" section at a store that was torn down 10 years ago...I had to upgrade my PC to 8 megs of RAM to play http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I have AotP in the original box with the full cover sleeve, and in it all the discs for AotP, AoE, and Aces of the Deep, with all the manuals

Actually, if somebody scanned them and made the relevant material available at their Il2 website, there's TONS of info Il2 players could benefit from.

I have all that Dynamix stuff at my folks' place...wish I had it here so I could read some of it. the full color plates were great, and the background info was as interesting as the sims were

GT182
11-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Well, the CFS2 manual was no slouch either. That was the best part of the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

brasil66
11-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Slipshod. Rushed. Sorry. Piecemeal. Second rate. Poor. POS. But TACKY?

You might want to go to the library and look up that word. I dont think it fits here.

AAA_Pappy
11-06-2004, 09:37 PM
How come a couple of month ago everybody was saying PF should not be a stand alone game but now it seems a stand alone game is what folks wanted all along?

Seems like a catch 22 to me.

Phil_C
11-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Remember back in the day when the manual was the size of a phone book and you needed to read it to play?

what ever happened to those days?

(for exampe the Janes sereis of sims, USNF [if u can remember that far back lol] being a prime candidate as well as F18 and USAF)

BSR_RuGGBuTT
11-07-2004, 01:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil_C:
what ever happened to those days?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same thing that happened to my 486DX/50......

PlimPlam
11-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Theres a manual? Holy smokes.

Heh I looked at it then went and flew some planes 2 seconds afterwards. Though I admit I read the origonal il booklet cover to cover. But have no fear my nephew watches me play all the time. His latest gem was "Wow I cant believe so many people fly a game that happened so long ago."

I told him prop planes rule. Rule! Then let him fly a bit. Now he knows prop planes rule and recites it like a mantra.

If he wants to play with me that is. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Phil_C
11-07-2004, 02:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I told him prop planes rule. Rule <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya know its funny. i was just reading your post and got to thinking...

i was a big fan of the new modern jet fighters and the related sims when i was in Jr ad high schools ( 94-98ish) but before that like in early jr high, i was a big fan or the old school stuff, like Korean or Vietnam Era, as well as WWII.

Some of my fav games from back then were the old Chuck Yeagers Air combat, the Hellcats of the Pacific for the macs they had at school, the old Aces over Europe and the pacific games, as well as the add on for USNF that gave you the Vietnam missions.

This is not to say that i didnt like the new stuff (USNF, F18 USAF, Comanche, SU27 LoMAC, etc) But there is just somethin about the prop planes,and the guys who flew them in the days before all this point and click and BVR combat, that just has this timeless class to them that the new modern era of fighters (anything IMO past 1972) lack in a big way. but again thats just me...

Chuck_Older
11-07-2004, 05:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AAA_Pappy:
How come a couple of month ago everybody was saying PF should not be a stand alone game but now it seems a stand alone game is what folks wanted all along?

Seems like a catch 22 to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you come to the conclusion that everyone wanted it as a stand alone all along?