PDA

View Full Version : Bombing skipping

JG52_Manteo
10-05-2005, 06:15 PM
I have been away from this site for a long time and flying IL2 for a couple years but I just thought I would try to dive back in with a new discovery I made a little while ago and I am sure some of you have done the same thing. I was in a P38 attacking a ship, I was coming in at low-level, maybe 10 meters above the water when I pulled up and tried to lobb my 2-1000 pound bombs at it; way too early I thought and was correct. I new it was a miss as I turned away taking AAA but then I hit the ship and sank it. I couldnt figure out how til later when watching the track I saw that my bombs had skipped and nailed the ship. Just thought I would put that in there. I'm gonna go back now for some bomb skipping practice. Manteo

WarWolfe_1
10-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Skip bombing is a blast. no pun intended http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

96th_Nightshifter
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Darts-Page (http://www.darts-page.com) Has an awesome skip bombing movie tutorial at the site among other tutorials. Enjoy!

Tater-SW-
10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Make sure to set a bomb delay. 3-5 seconds works nicely.

tater

dogstar4000
10-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Cant seem to do it with a bomb delay. I thought if there was a delay the bomb sank? I have near perfect success with 0sec delay.

Archangel2980
10-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Yes, I always set the delay for 0 seconds.

dogstar4000
10-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Mind you with 0sec delay you have to be going rather fast to get away. I normally only do it in 109s and dive from about 1km to get enough speed to get out of the SC500 pressure wave. I think you can take out Russian ships upto a light cruiser with one SC500 or two SC250. Havent really tried Jap aircraft yet.

Amnio
10-06-2005, 11:43 AM
You can use delayed bombs even against ships. The feature was introduced in v3.01:
26. Added the ability to use time-delayed bombs against ships.
I normaly use 1,5s as it prevents the bombs from accidentaly blowing me up. An added bonus is that the delay works for removing aircraft on your 6 as well. (while flying low) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Here's a quick track (http://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=1128620443/Niobe_vs_P40.ntrk) against a Niobe AA cruiser using bombdelay. (P40E with 1000lbs bomb) The approach probably isn't perfect, but it worked like a charm anyways.

TPN_Cephas
10-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Skip bombing is fun and it is easy, but it is not very realistic at all. Yes skip bombing did happen in WW2 but in specific theaters with specific aircraft as far as I have ever heard.

If I am wrong, and it was commanly used, please point me to a reference that shows otherwise.

So most of the time I try to do a standard dive attack. I feel similarly about time delay fuzes too. Although they were used by some air forces from time to time, they were not the default setting. I hate to see people get carried away and use time delay all the time so they can drop their bombs right on top of a tank from 10 meters (or use the old drop bomb while on the deck being chased trick).

Then again maybe if all the objects were not half scale people would not feel the need more advantage to hit the target.

That's just my preference though.

JG52_Manteo
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I just got splattered too many times by AAA after trying my luck again at that BS bomb skipping at a destroyer so I just had a couple of IL-4s back me up with torpedos and to add more sim-effect I also employed a PE-8 with a 5000 pounder. That always shakes em up with a splash. That way I havent been too badly chewed up by AAA so I can take-on four 109 AE Aces who are between me and the airfield at Taman. I like Static cams at the strip for those sweet landings( If my P38 has made it that is)and those fire extinguishers come in handy. Well I am going back at it(or should I call Dr Phill for therapy about this ****?)Hell no, I gotta blow sh-t up.

Tater-SW-
10-06-2005, 04:14 PM
The US used skip bombing and delay fuses quite a bit in the PTO. 100lb parademos used 8-11 second delays, standard for skip bombing was 4-5 seconds.

tater

dogstar4000
10-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Tater, im interested to know.... 100lb eems pretty light to be using on an (upto) 5 second delay. I dunno what your source is, but im assuming these were shallow water targets?

JG52_Manteo
10-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I dont know guys but that first discovery of mine with the bomb-skip musta been lots of luck because it has proven to be a pain in the butt to do, so I have resumed traditional methods of attacking ships, like dive bombing and using rockets. But if I had a Lancaster in this game with round-bombs like they used on dams it would be intresting. And I have found that rockets are sometimes spectacular when they make contact with an enemy bomber and I have found this P38 to be the bird of choice for its dive breaks when DF for those quick slow downs often needed so- as not to over-shoot enemy fighters and get an embarrassing *** shot off. Can you guys tell me the methods for quick speed-breaking used by various AC in IL2FB?

dogstar4000
10-06-2005, 05:47 PM
I think skip bombing is the best way to sink light ships. I LOVE dive bombing (ju-87)and am pretty good at low level bombing with the 109/110, and from high level with medium bomber(111). but still, the best way to sink a ship is skip bombing. worth practising i would say. As for slamming the brakes on, drop throttle, use flaps, drop your landing gear if need be (also a good way of making someone on your 6 overshoot you!!!) radiator open, climb, and barrel roll, are all good ways of conrolling 'closure'. Also try using (for example) a little left rudder with a little right stick or vice versa. Hope this helps. Light ships are easy targets (not subs or torpedo boats or mine sweeper - all too small) just go fast and low and drop bombs at close range, and then pull a vertical.

JG52_Manteo
10-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks Dogstar, I thought there might be some prop-pitch trick to use when slowing but like you said that radiator postion sounds logical. Sometimes to slow quickly I put it into full-slip after chopping power you know, full left/right rudder, oposite ailerons, and maybe and very seldom gear down, but full flaps and if I dont bleed off to much speed and stall I can coax the chaser into my field of view and maybe get a burst off at him and then its chase time again and the call for power. But it always helps to never let yourself get into that situation in the first place but I have been flying alone (offline)and always against 3 or 4 enemy. I am very used to the "refly" button. LOL

dogstar4000
10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Yes changing your prop pitch would work from a certain distance in theory,andf for all the wrong reasons, but in practice there are so many other methods to use it really isnt an option. forget that as a means of setting closure. I think the order for closure should be : adjust throttle, pull back on stick, flaps/rad , barrel roll, last resort - drop gear. if you still miss just then cover your wingman while he does the job!!!!

refly/god save, yeah i know that one!!!!

choxaway
10-07-2005, 04:13 AM
Tried bomb skipping but kept tripping over the darned thing. Maybe the rope should be longer . . .

JG52_Manteo
10-07-2005, 06:05 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Manos1
10-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Skip bombing works with:

1- Bomb delay (no more 0sec constraint)
2- On water as well on any had surface (roads, runways etc).

Just make sure you are
- low enough flying parallel to the ground.
- fast enough (usually 400KmH +)

And look Dart's videos and the IL2 video as well.

~S~

Faith_Healer
10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
I Skip Bomb all the time in my P38L Late.. I set the fuze for 1 second , I fly in between 250 and 300 KIAS between 0 and 50 feet. when the ship fills the windscreen and I have to pull up or hit the ship I drop both 1000 lbs bombs and pull up hard... I get 100 percent hits every time.. Flat tops take 2 runs or 4 1000 lb bombs then its to davy jones locker for it... If the ships AAA is still intact you should go right back on the deck after you clear the ships mast. throttles balls to the wall . I find I take fewer hits on the deck and showing a smaller profile rather than zoom up right away..

Platypus_1.JaVA
10-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Bomb delays did not work very well with the previous versions of the game. But since the 3.XX or at least the 4.01 patch, bomb delay works on ships as well. With skip bombing, the boms is supposed to bang against the side of the ship, (starting the timer in the process) sink below it and blow up UNDER the ship. This way, a giant mass of water lifts the ship up and breakes it in pieces. I've been doing this for quite some time now in various aircraft. You only have to get the release point right and provided you had your aircraft pointed towards the ship, it is an almost 100% hit guarantee. Some times, they skip OVER the ship.

JG52_Manteo
10-07-2005, 07:12 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/Bigbang.jpg

WarWolfe_1
10-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
Bomb delays did not work very well with the previous versions of the game. But since the 3.XX or at least the 4.01 patch, bomb delay works on ships as well. With skip bombing, the boms is supposed to bang against the side of the ship, (starting the timer in the process) sink below it and blow up UNDER the ship. This way, a giant mass of water lifts the ship up and breakes it in pieces. I've been doing this for quite some time now in various aircraft. You only have to get the release point right and provided you had your aircraft pointed towards the ship, it is an almost 100% hit guarantee. Some times, they skip OVER the ship.

It takes a bit more than that. Level aproach, constant speed ( I like about 175 to 180), the release point is the tuffy. once you have that figured out skip bombing is a walk in the park.