PDA

View Full Version : O/T- Help needed updating TIR4 review at airwarfare

dieg777
02-01-2006, 05:35 AM
I have never been really happy with the review I posted on airwarfare-

http://www.airwarfare.com/AWX/features/reviews/trackir4_review.htm

ALthough it was just an initial review, when I read it ,it seems a bit rushed and there is not enough depth. I also have just recently aquired BOB WOV which has 6DOF so I can now update the review to include how this works.

The one good thing that came out of it was that charvel got in touch about his beer that I owe him http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif and this led to him producing his excellent guide to setting up profiles.

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/tir_setup.htm

On the back of this guide and from some of the feedback I have seen on various forums I would like to revisit my review and in particular pay attention to

1) more detail on the kit from a beginners point of view

2) who its for and who its not suited to

3) comparisons with TIR 1 and 2

4) comparisons with webcam type software like cam2pan or freelook. I have tried searching the web for reviews of these with little success

If you have any thoughts on this piece of kit or the points above then please post them here or PM me. I hope to produce a more definitive review and the more people who contribute then the better. All those who do contribute will be acknowledged in the review.

thanks in advance

FoolTrottel
02-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Bump.

dieg777
02-02-2006, 04:34 AM
bumpity bump

FoolTrottel
02-02-2006, 02:53 PM
!pmuB

blakduk
02-02-2006, 03:44 PM
dieg777-
I can offer an opinion that may help with point#2.
I believe most people will enjoy using a trackIR but those who gain the most benefit are the people who have difficulty mastering other methods of viewing. If i use a trackhat i cant keep anything in view, if i use padlocks i get disoriented very quickly. I am too uncoordinated to maintain spacial awareness of a virtual world by using other devices. Instead of using my hands to change view i can now use my head- it feels far more natural to me.
I found the TrackIR instantly usable- i instinctively maintain orientation while looking around. I very soon went from being a player for whom the cockpit view was a novelty to a player who PREFERRED to have the cockpit on as it helped with orientation! The extra immersion was a welcome bonus and i even started looking at the gauges.
If you have no problem looking around using hat switches etc then you will not notice as big an improvement as i did. My brain is too old and i am too stupid to learn/master new tricks- the TrackIR was originally developed to help disabled people to use computers. In my case it is fulfilling its original function.

(I posted something similar on another thread)
Most of the disputes i have read involving forum members who state that TrackIR is a waste of money seem to be by very experienced players who have mastered other viewing methods.

Banger2004
02-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by blakduk:
dieg777-
I can offer an opinion that may help with point#2.
I believe most people will enjoy using a trackIR but those who gain the most benefit are the people who have difficulty mastering other methods of viewing. If i use a trackhat i cant keep anything in view, if i use padlocks i get disoriented very quickly. I am too uncoordinated to maintain spacial awareness of a virtual world by using other devices. Instead of using my hands to change view i can now use my head- it feels far more natural to me.
I found the TrackIR instantly usable- i instinctively maintain orientation while looking around. I very soon went from being a player for whom the cockpit view was a novelty to a player who PREFERRED to have the cockpit on as it helped with orientation! The extra immersion was a welcome bonus and i even started looking at the gauges.
If you have no problem looking around using hat switches etc then you will not notice as big an improvement as i did. My brain is too old and i am too stupid to learn/master new tricks- the TrackIR was originally developed to help disabled people to use computers. In my case it is fulfilling its original function.

(I posted something similar on another thread)
Most of the disputes i have read involving forum members who state that TrackIR is a waste of money seem to be by very experienced players who have mastered other viewing methods.

I concur with the above statements. I recently purchased TIR4 (have never owned TIR before), and with a bit of practice can now take on and usually master offline play with cockpit on. The device installed and works like a dream, very smooth in operation.

The one caveat I have is that because I made the 'mistake' of starting to fly online with the 'wonderwoman' style, and tend to fly in open-pit dogfight servers, use of TIR can be for me disorientating to say the least. This is in no way a reflection of the device, it is purely down to me. However, I think it is possible that other 'less serious' flyers like myself might find this to be the case.

To sum up, the device works as advertised, and does it very well indeed. I have nothing but praise for it and it's software. How the user applies it to the game is another matter. If you are adept at using a mouse, or keys or hat-switch to look around (I am not!), then for use mainly in open-pit servers you might find the expense unjustified. For closed-pit servers, or for playing offline campaigns, it is fantastic, as I find offline to be a less frenetic experience.

As for me and my deficiencies, I must learn to fly online with cockpit ON to get the most out of TIR4, because as far as I can see, I am the limiting factor! I shall continue to refine my profiles, practice more and eventually get onto closed-pit servers to get myself soundly thrashed.

dieg777
02-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Thanks to all - updated review now on airwarfare