PDA

View Full Version : Question Governing Hits in Multiplayer

ReligiousZealot
01-14-2006, 12:52 AM
This is somewhat of a nerdy question but I have been wondering about it since this evening when I was playing online. I was behind an SBD and his reargunner was unloading at me, yet I was able to get a short burst of cannon fire into his engine and it stopped dead, I then flew away virtually unscathed (a few minor bullet holes in the windscreen, but nothing too serious). Upon crashing he typed "How did you get me?! I saw a ton of hits with my .50s!"

This sparked my curiousity, so I figured I'd ask this; are the round impact animations/explosions governed client side? What I mean by this is easier explained using a different game as an example. In Counter-Strike, when you shoot at someone on your computer the client (assuming you're not hosting) the blood animations that are visible are generated by your computer and not derived from the packets the server is sending, meaning, you could see a ton of blood, yet the player you were shooting at does not take as much damage as you seem to think he should, etc.

I am curious to know if this is the case with how the IL2 series handles the animations for round contact. I'm sure some of us have seen the animation for 20mm cannon shell contacting another aircraft only to have the craft continue on as if it weren't even touched.

ReligiousZealot
01-14-2006, 12:52 AM
This is somewhat of a nerdy question but I have been wondering about it since this evening when I was playing online. I was behind an SBD and his reargunner was unloading at me, yet I was able to get a short burst of cannon fire into his engine and it stopped dead, I then flew away virtually unscathed (a few minor bullet holes in the windscreen, but nothing too serious). Upon crashing he typed "How did you get me?! I saw a ton of hits with my .50s!"

This sparked my curiousity, so I figured I'd ask this; are the round impact animations/explosions governed client side? What I mean by this is easier explained using a different game as an example. In Counter-Strike, when you shoot at someone on your computer the client (assuming you're not hosting) the blood animations that are visible are generated by your computer and not derived from the packets the server is sending, meaning, you could see a ton of blood, yet the player you were shooting at does not take as much damage as you seem to think he should, etc.

I am curious to know if this is the case with how the IL2 series handles the animations for round contact. I'm sure some of us have seen the animation for 20mm cannon shell contacting another aircraft only to have the craft continue on as if it weren't even touched.

ElAurens
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
I saw that question to you on the chat bar.

First off, the bullet strike animations are just like damage animations, in that they are only visual representations of the actual damage. The actual damage can be quite different than the visual displayed.

As to your question, the info packets are sent to your computer and calculated there. The "hits" that your opponent saw were generated on his machine, not yours.

ReligiousZealot
01-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Ahh, I see...thanks for the answers. I just have to say though...that is a beautiful Ki-61 in your sig - by any chance is that a custom skin that I could download?