PDA

View Full Version : How do you explain to others your fascination for this sim and WWII planes?

CyberWings
03-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Over the years I have several hobbies, nevertheless WWII planes fascination became a constant in my life.

Sometimes is really difficult to explain this to other people. Did anyone have the same problem?

“WWII planes are the coolest machines ever built”, “Doghfighting is an art that requires, technique, concentration and a good knowledge of the physic laws” are some of my attempts to explain myself…

Can anyone resume in one sentence or a couple of sentences some kind of explanation of why these aircrafts and WWII air battles are so interesting?

Thanks

danjama
03-31-2009, 08:11 AM
No, i have always had the same problem as you. The only people who got it were my Mum and my best mate. Others i am reluctant to tell. It's a shame really.

raaaid
03-31-2009, 08:21 AM
oh actually most people who know me in real life dont know what i think

i only share my odd views with the people on this forum

thats why im addicted to this place i can be totally honest and most like me how i am

Choctaw111
03-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, for starters you are flying, then you have a bunch of machine guns, and then you pit your skill against others to shoot them down. No magic missiles here. In this type of aerial combat, it is up close and personal. The ground pounding is fun also.

rnzoli
03-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by CyberWings:
Sometimes is really difficult to explain this to other people. Did anyone have the same problem? Yes, but I solved the problem in another way. I usually say that "it's my hobby" and it's just as good hobby as any other one outthere, like fishing, sports, or collecting CDs/DVDs. I am not trying to say anything related to flying or combat, because they give me a strange look. If someone is not interested in aviation up front, you have already lost the basis for all explanations, worthless to try.

danjama
03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
I dont think thats true, its possible to make people interested.

rnzoli
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
For 5 seconds yes, you can get anyone interested.

I got a few other people interested for a longer time (for years), but they were already interested in aviation or history.

deskpilot
03-31-2009, 09:34 AM
this post raises the sad fact that certain hobbies or interests have more apparent credibility than others. I get some pitying looks when I talk about IL2 and why I think it's so great, but i nkow people who spend hours and hours and thousands of pounds travelling up and down the country to watch 11 over paid nancy boys with a japanese elctronics company logo or similar on their chest kick a bag of wind about. Most of the time these people come home in a bad temper cause their team played crap. yet that's cool and ok, when playing this sim, which leads to learning a new skill, gaining a deeper appreciation of the skill and sacrifice of the real men and women who flew in ww2 and meeting some great people online is somehow uncool.
Hah! say I.

triad773
03-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
If someone is not interested in aviation up front, you have already lost the basis for all explanations, worthless to try.

Yeah the other tack I try is history. If a person is a history fan, or at least understands the importance of the subject, then I consider I have a chance to explain it in some fashion where they could relate somehow.

I say...
I can read just about any history book that's out there. But is that going to give me the more literal experience of the long and tedious flight to target, the sense of surprise from getting jumped, and the feeling of accomplishment of after all that, you get your plane down in one piece? I get a sense more of what it might have been like.

Most people won't argue with that I've found, even if they fully don't understand it. They seem to at least respect that one is trying to learn more about history (or, assume they are dealing with a middle aged man-child http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM
You can't explain. I've realized it's much easier just to explain that you are an unmitigated, unapologetic, incurable dork and leave it at that, lol. They will understand it's true the first time you forget to take off your trackIR hat before you answer the door for them....

Swivet
03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Everyones gotta vice. Mine happen to be women, alcohol, "botany" and WW2 aircraft! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
These machines had no radar, no tracking systems, none of the high tech junk modern aircraft have. There was a certain romance associated with these planes and that era of early to mid 40's. With that said i think that romance will never die. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif Aircraft design and flight was still in it's infancy and people were fascinated as much back then as they are now. I think in general the other person would have to be a WW2 enthusiast. They broke the mold when they made "US" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

stalkervision
03-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Brain damage from sniffing too much model airplane glue. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Flight_boy1990
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by stalkervision:
Brain damage from sniffing too much model airplane glue. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
Hahahaha.....Well said! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

general_kalle
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
depends on the person if you can get them interested but its not very likely,

as a rule...dont,
simply dont try to get people to it.. most people will think your wierd even though they might themselves be interested in something as boring as clothes.

squareusr
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
As others have said, the short answer is "don't".

An exception is maybe when you are talking to someone who is into computer gaming himself, then there are some very interesting differences between flight sims and "regular" gaming. Stuff like the different levels of subjective reward between gaming that is measured in frags-per-minute and gaming that could be measured in average numer of sorties flown for a kill. Or the incredibly subtle details that can still be learned even by the most experienced virtual pilots, while other gamers often operate at the limits of their physical reaction after no more than learning the basics and then a little. Or the level of concentration needed to hold a formation based on nothing but visual input from the monitor.

Ironically, since the gameplay of IL2 is pretty much half way between regular games (you do get to blow up stuff from time to time) and civilian sims (staring at a half a pixel worth of could-be-an-enemy for minutes or more isn't exactly what a Blizzard customer would consider exciting) the same discussion could be held in the opposite direction, with reversed roles between an IL2 user and one of those people who deeply enjoy simulating trans atlantic flights. (and once you have seen X52 Pro mappings for a train simulator (http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?p=957080&sid=4140db225abce7e4048b2c971395f935#p957080) - with multiple modes(!) - you know you are still pretty normal in comparison)

Mr_Zooly
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I find it hard to explain that being a gamer doesnt make me: 1) a console owner 2) a WoW player 3) a sad git with no real mates http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif
Now trying to explain to whats left of the populace (the ones that are still awake) that I love flight sims of the prop variety is like trying to peel an orange with a plastic spoon, I feel like a part of some secret sect (bit like the Masons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ), here and Hyperlobby are the ideal place to converse with like mided folk.
Long live the sad folk ~S~

crucislancer
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I don't bother explaining any of it to people, unless they express interest first.

There was one guy recently, a co-worker, who saw my desktop wallpaper (at the time, a Tempest), and made all kinds of know-it-all comments about fighter combat based on bad documentaries and such. It was clear that he knew nothing about WWII aviation nor air combat in general. It made me cringe.

triad773
03-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
They will understand it's true the first time you forget to take off your trackIR hat before you answer the door for them....

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif LoL... I remember one time I did JUST that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Our neighbour took one look at me and she said "are the aliens coming, Tom?"

ace1328fw190
03-31-2009, 01:15 PM
I feell you guys, I started playing offline in about grade 8, when my friend showed me it, and the only reason was becuase we were WW2 junkies, we got all the books from the library, look up fighter and bomber squads, and all that, everyone else basiccally looked at as and sayed "look at those guys, why dont the play a mans game like CoD of Halo" and we would get into a heated argument, with us trying to defend against all the guys in the class, and that was about 2-3 years ago, and we've learned to talk about it to close friends, who are comp gamers, or this other guys that plays, and if we do, everyones like WTF are they talking about??? and we just start telling them tactics and manuevres to get them to leave us, after telling them wat a chandelle is, they usually go away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif, really makes me sad to see such ppl frown on us just becuz we love the thrill of a DF or the satisfaction of denying that IJN BB of completely demolishing our carrier fleet. Its just such a rush that no one else but us can experiance, its like trying your first heroine fix, after your hooked, you need more of that thrill to get you the same high (ive never done heroine or anything like, that, its just an example) and you just cant explian it.
-=S=- all,
mmarten13

Ritter_Cuda
03-31-2009, 01:16 PM
You can't explain. I've realized it's much easier just to explain that you are an unmitigated, unapologetic, incurable dork and leave it at that, lol. They will understand it's true the first time you forget to take off your trackIR hat before you answer the door for them....
yea but which is more difficult to explain IL2 or the SCA?
try talking to a cop in funny clothes

tomtheyak
03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by deskpilot:
... i nkow people who spend hours and hours and thousands of pounds travelling up and down the country to watch 11 over paid nancy boys with a japanese elctronics company logo or similar on their chest kick a bag of wind about....

Oh boy are we on the same page...

You too?! It's a dark, dark moment when that happens. I keep going out for a smoke with mine on.

I've learnt not to fear it anymore. I'm proud of it.

Hey, I can do something that's actually very difficult:

I can control a virtual machine with unintuitive controls, that requires a paradoxical balance between brute force ham fist-ery and the subtle delicate pressures of a masseur in a crucible of combat that is akin to a 3D bar-brawl between a bunch of chess playing, ballet dancing, trapeze artists.

And with the added bonus of doiing it all with real people (online).

I enjoy cameraderie with others across the globe. I get to see some of the most enchanting and elegant yet savage and aggressive scenes played out before me, and then I can chase clouds across an evening sky lit in the beautiful hues of sunset just for the self indulgent joy of it.

They're the dorks not us! We have found the revelation, we know the trials and tribulations, the stratospheric highs and the smoking craters of despair; the magic, the excitement, the satisfaction, the apprehension, the tension, the rage, the laughter, we know the sheer unadulterated joys.

If they do not have the patience or the temerity to master the challenges then they shall not experience these things. And more so their loss.

- it's at this point that I've either won people round with the passion with which my sermon is delivered or they've already started backing for the nearest exit whilst smiling nervously.

Of course it does help immensely that I'm the lead singer and rhythm guitarist in a local band that has the respect of the communities musicians. Gives one a stock of 'kudos' to draw credit from.

I don't tell anyone I do this before I tell them I'm a musician, or they've seen the band. That's VERY important!

norton1974
03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Not many are interested in this, i always have my eye open for sign of someone that likes ww2 aviation. I work in a service industry and see to alot of new people thru out a week and i have yet to meet or find someone who has any interest in il2. I walked into a guys office once and seen p38,109 and p51 models hanging from the ceiling, i thought hot dog someone who likes ww2, the guy saw the models at walmart and thought they looked cool and didnt seem to know much about them. I figure there are three things that brings us here interest, knowledge and time, most people have no knowledge on the subject or interest and you dont need knowledge to play fps or wow.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by tomtheyak:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by deskpilot:
You too?! It's a dark, dark moment when that happens. I keep going out for a smoke with mine on.

Lol, I've had the door open about to step onto the front porch in front of god and everyone with a cig in my lips and with that silly hat on many a time and realized it just on the brink!

waffen-79
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by swivet:
Everyones gotta vice. Mine happen to be women, alcohol, "botany" and WW2 aircraft!

Now there's a man with it's priorities well stacked, I salute you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Originally posted by squareusr:

As others have said, the short answer is "don't".

I disagree, infact this ww2 air combat hobby is my best weapon in my arsenal for scoring babes!

When I describe why I like so very much ww2 aviation, the detail, the phisics and mathematics, the skill, etc.

And show her the books, models, drawings, youtube il2 videos, even there are times when I actually show her tracks of MY victories online

All that while doing it in perfect congruence, the cool and cocky pilot attitude, even when I'm not a real one in RL, wham! Deal Closed! next!

Woke_Up_Dead
03-31-2009, 04:44 PM
The only explanation that sounds half-decent to most others is "competition." People can usually understand the need to learn a skill and compete. But just like the musician above, I usually try to establish some sort of "real world" credentials like competing in various sports before I mention my dorky hobby.

danjama
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Yea you definitely need to have got to know someone quite well before you try to tell them about it. There's no reason why they shouldn't understand. If they don't, they aint worth knowing!

This thread is actually quite relevant to my life right now. I recently discovered a couple of guys at my work are havily into WW2 and documentaries although more the infantry side of things. But ive known them for a few months and we got to talking about games one evening and i told them all about IL2 and Red Orchestra, and they were completely cool about it and i showed em the game and everything. The fact is, if they thought i was a geek, i'd just laugh in their face caus i know i'm one cool mother****er. When i told me best friend at around 14/15 about the game (he already knew i loved ww2 and he loves ww1) He had a fly on IL2 and he just couldnt understand how to fly. It made me realise that some people dont have what it takes just to play the game. But we've been to airshows and museums and stuff, so it's pretty cool. He's not as geeky as me about researching and stuff, but it doesn't matter.

I think what it boils down to, is if someone is important enough in your life for you to tell em about it, then they should be understanding.

@MMarten13, hi mate, danjama here, dont worry about the other kids man, screw em, if they wanna sit there playing with their ****s waiting to shrivel up and become alcaholics, let them do that. You're the one with a real interest and hobby at the end of the day, and it will help you grow and will take you places not alot of people have been to. Trust me, i started playing WW2 games when i was younger than you probably, luckily for me my whole class was cool about it, but i dont think it would have bothered me if they weren't. I just wouldnt have talked about it to any of them.

The most understanding person was my mum, who took me to my very first airshow and many more even though she could not understand the fascination at all. It's not that she was shallow, we used to sit there watching Memphis Belle together sometimes, it's just that i took the fascination to another level. I could sit in a museum hanger and study one plane for 20 minutes, but she would want to move to the next plane http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

It's the people who understand and accept you with your interest that matter.

CyberWings
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by triad773:

I can read just about any history book that's out there. But is that going to give me the more literal experience of the long and tedious flight to target, the sense of surprise from getting jumped, and the feeling of accomplishment of after all that, you get your plane down in one piece? I get a sense more of what it might have been like.

I like triad773 answer, although what most people said is true, you have to be very caution talking about this hobby... Not everyone will understand.
Then I realize how lucky we are to have this forum, this is like a support group... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

tomtheyak
03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Then I realize how lucky we are to have this forum, this is like a support group... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

My name is Tom... and I have a problem....

ROXunreal
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh explaining fascination with WW2 aircraft is easy after years of struggle to try and explain fascination with psychedelic drugs, psychedelic experiences and related literature to uninformed friends without sounding like a schizophrenic.

RPMcMurphy
03-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Over the years I have several hobbies, nevertheless WWII planes fascination became a constant in my life.

Sometimes is really difficult to explain this to other people. Did anyone have the same problem?

“WWII planes are the coolest machines ever built”, “Doghfighting is an art that requires, technique, concentration and a good knowledge of the physic laws” are some of my attempts to explain myself…

Can anyone resume in one sentence or a couple of sentences some kind of explanation of why these aircrafts and WWII air battles are so interesting?

Thanks
Man I am with you on this. When I found this forum I was happy to find people with a common interest in WW2 aircraft because it is almost impossible to find anyone in-person who understands.
The avereage person just can't relate.
For example when the subject of video games comes up while I am at work I hear that most of the people play car games on playsations or land based soldier games and my mentioning flying an F4U off a carrier just draws blank stares and shaking heads.
For me I think this sim, if atleast a little, gives me somwwhat of an idea what pilots went through during WW2 as far as developing pilot skill.
I love WW2 aircraft and aviation in-general. If I have to explain that to somebody why that is, then usually there is no sense in trying to explain it at all.

VW-IceFire
03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Most people have hobbies...a few people don't (I think they are weird) so its easy to explain. This is my hobby and my passion and I love to learn about it in books, simulate flight and WWII air combat in games, and go to air shows.

It may also be easier for me because of the sheer number of pilots and retired air force in my family. So bringing the whole family to an air show is an easy thing to convince them of http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But yeah...generally...people who have serious hobbies of any kind will get the hobby aspect if not the actual interest.

I was into planes sometime shortly after I was born http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

danjama
03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I was into planes sometime shortly after I was born http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Weren't we all? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

ImMoreBetter
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
I love telling people my hobby as a WWII plane enthusiast and flight simmer. The hardest part is finding someone who will listen long enough. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

At my age, more people seem to be looking for hobbies than those that don't want one.

I feell you guys, I started playing offline in about grade 8, when my friend showed me it, and the only reason was becuase we were WW2 junkies, we got all the books from the library, look up fighter and bomber squads, and all that, everyone else basiccally looked at as and sayed "look at those guys, why dont the play a mans game like CoD of Halo" and we would get into a heated argument, with us trying to defend against all the guys in the class, and that was about 2-3 years ago...

If anyone in my school did this, I don't think I would be able to hold back a good laugh.

I would then describe to them, in great detail, why IL2 is at least 5-10 times harder in every aspect regarding video game combat.

Bearcat99
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtheyak:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by deskpilot:

Lol, I've had the door open about to step onto the front porch in front of god and everyone with a cig in my lips and with that silly hat on many a time and realized it just on the brink! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went to the supermarket in mine...........

I dont try... I am not ashamed of it or embarassed.. and I am perfectly willing to talk about it to any one who will listen.. but when people say things like "Oh..... a video game.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif " or "I don't have time to play video games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif"

I just shime them on... Some guys do golf.. some guys do cars.. some guys do poker or lodge meetings... I do this... and I have absolutely no intention of stopping unless the power goes out. That's why I was so ****ed that RoF had no offline option.

rnzoli
04-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by danjama:
It's the people who understand and accept you with your interest that matter. This is a very good point! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also remembered another way to pitch this subject. There are still movies coming out with a WW2 theme behind, and some even include aerial battles. I cannot resits mumbling a few quiet comments like "well, that was a nice Corsair doing the fly-by scene ", or "wow, a B-29 with 2 engines out on same side, must have trimmed the rudder to full right".
Yes I get strange looks, but after that nobody needs to be convinced about the learning aspect of IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

raaaid
04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
as a kid i remember how worried i was weather wwii pilots carried a gun or not cause i wanted to be an ace witha gun in case i had to parashoot behind enemy lines

MajorBloodnok
04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Ritter_Cuda:
try talking to a cop in funny clothes So, tell me more about this cop in funny clothes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-01-2009, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
try talking to a cop in funny clothes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, I recall walking into a gas station after spending a week at gulfwars, still had my breeches and cloak and everything, I was so used to garb after a week at gulfwars that everyone looks so weird to me in normal clothes, I suspect by the looks I got it was mutual.

As for cops, my buddy and I got pulled over in our van on the way to gulf wars. Tail light I think it was, and the cop asked the routine question, "do you have any guns or knives in the vehicle", my friend looked right at him and said "sure do!". The look on the cops face was pricesless, he could tell by our attitude that there was an explination but the shock, lol. We explained we were on our way to a historical reenactment and we had several unloaded flintlock and matchlock muskets as well as an array of swords we planned on selling. It was a hoot, lol!

mortoma
04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't explain anything to anybody concerning my hobbies. Do I owe them an explanation? I think not.

I know people around here that like to go skiing because of all the magnificent local ski resorts and I don't understand all the fuss they make over it. I have no interest in skiing. But do they owe me an explanation as to why they enjoy their hobby?? I think not.

Ritter_Cuda
04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by MajorBloodnok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ritter_Cuda:
try talking to a cop in funny clothes So, tell me more about this cop in funny clothes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was picking up a friend at her store to give her a ride to an event I'm dressed in 16th cen. English clothes (we call garb) when the parking lot is blocked off by a few cops.in a circle in the lot my friend store is on the other side of the circle. I'm late so I walk up to the cop and asked him 1) whats going on and if I can go around their block. I being doing SCA for so long I did not even think about the close I was wearing He stopped looked at me then said that there was a bomb threat on the car in the center and that I should be OK if I stayed on the sidewalks... LOL it was not until I got to the store that it dawned on me what I must have looked like to him.

Ritter_Cuda
04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ritter_Cuda:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
try talking to a cop in funny clothes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, I recall walking into a gas station after spending a week at gulfwars, still had my breeches and cloak and everything, I was so used to garb after a week at gulfwars that everyone looks so weird to me in normal clothes, I suspect by the looks I got it was mutual.

As for cops, my buddy and I got pulled over in our van on the way to gulf wars. Tail light I think it was, and the cop asked the routine question, "do you have any guns or knives in the vehicle", my friend looked right at him and said "sure do!". The look on the cops face was pricesless, he could tell by our attitude that there was an explination but the shock, lol. We explained we were on our way to a historical reenactment and we had several unloaded flintlock and matchlock muskets as well as an array of swords we planned on selling. It was a hoot, lol! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you notice the magic invisibility tool. just carry 2' to 3' of steel and no one can see you.
I built a knighting sword for a good friend. I stopped at a quickly mart for some snacks. I was not going to leave the thing in the car so I carried it in . NO ONE would make Eye contact. I had to ask the Cashier 3 times to ring up the order. lol

ace1328fw190
04-01-2009, 01:07 PM
-=S=- Danjama!
Looks like i can compare to alot of people in here, and this is exactly why i love this community, its a place where i can sit back, relax and talk about tactics, fights and soone w/out having the crazy look on ppls faces.

If anyone in my school did this, I don't think I would be able to hold back a good laugh.

I would then describe to them, in great detail, why IL2 is at least 5-10 times harder in every aspect regarding video game combat.

Yeah, after about the third or fourth reason on how IL2 is so much more GODLY then FPS or stuff like that, i usually back out because i know ive won and theyre just going at it saying stuff like "you cant frag ppl from the other side of the map" or sumthing like that, and i say you cant use a 1000lbs bomb as a weapon, and they just sit there, dumbfounded, its soo funny http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-=S=- all
flying as mmarten13

TheFamilyMan
04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Words do nothing to explain the IL-2 experience to the uninitiated so I usually don't bother. But if I can, I'll give them an over my shoulder test ride, and most are completely blown away by the IL-2 experience ("I didn't know it's so life-like"), especially if I'm online with teamspeak. BTW, TrackIR is the clincher.

Though most are impressed and see its allure, very, very few are converted. One of my flying buddies (he was a convert) hounds me at work now and again to demo IL-2 for other possible initiates to build our squad. No luck yet...

Hookecho
04-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I answered the door the other day for a UPS guy and I still had my ball cap on with the TrackIR Vector clip sitting on the bill....

couldnt figure out why he was looking at me funny........

crucislancer
04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I explained to a co-worker about it the other day, this one also commenting on my desktop wallpaper (this time a P-40). I went ahead and mentioned the game. It turns out he's a big fan of Call of Duty and other games based in WWII, but he's never tried a flight sim. I gave him some gentle pushes in the right direction, a few hardware pointers, and we might have a new target...er....I mean player in the near future. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

major_setback
04-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I hate it when I see people lower their eyes when I tell them that I like old aircraft. There is a certain look they give you.

I like rock music, play in a band, have had many adventurous travels, moved abroad to work, studied at University; these things have been met with interest and admiration.
My interest for old aircraft is often met with a patronising tone, as if I'm admitting that I collect childrens dolls.

It's strange; it is quite 'hipp' these days to say that you like gaming, playing with others online, shooting things. But admiration of the beauty and technology of these old machines is often seen as sentimental trite.

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I dont explain myself to anyone. They either get what Im saying or not.

DKoor
04-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
I dont explain myself to anyone. They either get what Im saying or not. Basically my case...

How do you explain to others your fascination for this sim and WWII planes? I have to be blessed because my mates incl my close relatives incl my girlfriend have understanding for it.

One knows that, for example when my buddy phoned me and my g/f said to him "hey... he'll call you back. he has to land first".

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ace1328fw190
04-04-2009, 10:19 PM
OMG, i wish i had a GF like yours, that would be amazing, usually my ex's are like WTF, lets go somewhere, and tuff, meaning i lose flight hours with you guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AldiTuetchen
04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
I always tried to explain this to others until one girl showed me that the only way to get a person who is not interessed in avation to think one moment about it is to show a picture of a colored aircraft especially an old biplane in red or blue. Then the look at it and say "wow thats a sweet little plane" :P

Muldoc
04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
I just dont have a fascination only with WWII planes, I have a really fascination with history and WWII in general, I just can't understand how people can live without knowing an IMPORTANT "thing" like WWII, but Its OK that's personal and each person have the right and freedom to think and like whatever. But sometimes people who know me just say: "Dude, why it's so important to you spending hours searching and reading old-dusty-books" well that's me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I'm not a real gamer but this game its awesome, and you can fun and at the same time you learn a lot. Also I have a great respect to those men and women who fought and die on the battlefields on Europe and the Pacific, any side, allies or axis.

F0_Dark_P
04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MajorBloodnok:
try talking to a cop in funny clothes So, tell me more about this cop in funny clothes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was picking up a friend at her store to give her a ride to an event I'm dressed in 16th cen. English clothes (we call garb) when the parking lot is blocked off by a few cops.in a circle in the lot my friend store is on the other side of the circle. I'm late so I walk up to the cop and asked him 1) whats going on and if I can go around their block. I being doing SCA for so long I did not even think about the close I was wearing He stopped looked at me then said that there was a bomb threat on the car in the center and that I should be OK if I stayed on the sidewalks... LOL it was not until I got to the store that it dawned on me what I must have looked like to him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe i was thinking the same, love that day when me and my friends walked through town on our way to a party one friend had dressed up in a full DDR stasi uniform and me in a British WWII MP uniform xD we got some comments but it is just fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif