PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting better, but not yet

VVanks
03-31-2005, 08:49 PM
I can't seem to get on the tails of enemy aircraft. They seem to do a low dive, then high pull, and they seem to always end up on my tail again.

Whereas I'm trying to do scissors or emmelman but none of them work.

Any online flight and gunnery schools to look for?

Also, how on EARTH do you use the 0.50 machine guns?!?!?! I shot at a F190 with my Spitfire's machine guns and I see all this sparks coming off but nothing happened! After flying a while, two hispano cannon shots and the guy blows up.

Really find those guns totally useless. Why did the Brits and Americans (oh god I can't shoot anything down in their planes) even use them?

Zeus-cat
03-31-2005, 09:13 PM
0.50 MGs are deadly when used properly. Don't shoot at the tail! Go for the engine, pilot or wing roots.

The late war FW-190s are armored and will soak up 0.50 MG bullets like a sponge if you go for the tail or even the engine. Go for the wing root or control surfaces and don't shoot at the tail from directly behind him. Get him to turn or climb and hit him as he presents the top of the wing to you.

Zeus-cat

EnGaurde
03-31-2005, 10:14 PM
not every plane is maneouverable enough to chase any other plane in a straight tail on approach.

generally ive found early war fighters are slower but more maneouverable.

later war fighters still have some low speed maneouverability but are meant for high speed slashing attacks where you dive onto your opponent, spray at them with those 50 cals and zoom climb out of trouble.

dont treat every plane like a turn fighter. If it bucks and kicks and departs controlled flight when you try and follow a plane, throttle up and fly straighter lines as ill bet its not meant to be flown at stall speed.

pick one plane that you like, ignore the various claims about its uberness or some such childish schoolyard prattle and fly around noting its behaviour at speed and height.

your shooting.... check your convergence settings, ie where the bullets meet in front of your plane. Set it to 300 meters as a good start, and play with it from there.

the most important thing is to not shoot unless you can see the camo on their plane. Yuo'll notice that online gunstats dont go much above 5 to 10% hits... in other words 9 out of every 10 bullets, miss. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif If i get 3 kills from an ammo load online, im happy. Closer = better.

also, practice in single player the art of deflection shooting much much more, ie where the plane will be in its flight path when your bullets reach that spot.

your post count tells me youre not a new player...

fordfan25
03-31-2005, 11:00 PM
"Also, how on EARTH do you use the 0.50 machine guns?!?!?! I shot at a F190 with my Spitfire's machine guns and I see all this sparks coming off but nothing happened! After flying a while, two hispano cannon shots and the guy blows up.

Really find those guns totally useless. Why did the Brits and Americans (oh god I can't shoot anything down in their planes) even use them"

because IRL thay were deadly as he!! and can be in the game as well. get your convergense right i like mine about 250m. also toy with your in game stick settings. thay can make a HUGE deff on how well you aim. i like almost full filter and no dead zone. the high filtering makes the movement of the fighter more fluid for me and less twitchy. also practice. and yes i have also noticed that the FW seems to be made of 3 inch armor lol. pick one fighter that you realy like and stick to it as much as posable. there are HUGE deffernces between them and when you fly one for awhile you will get used to its feel and you will be able to get more out of it.

something to think about though if you dont already know. just because a fighter like say the zero or spit can turn real well does not alwyas make them the best choice. in online fights iv found my self alone "thanks guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif" and all of a sudden there will be two or three 109s passing over me. now in a spit or the like you cant run for ....well spit lol. you can out turn one of them but his buddy will just extend and when you are in a turn fight he will pounce you. so keep that in mind that not only can speed let you catch a enemy plane but get away when things dont go your way. also try out a few planes and notice there over heating issues. thats one thing i lovew about the p38 and even the stang. there fast but also thay can maintain that high speed for long with out frying the engien. i cant count the times i got away from a ki-84 in a p-38. the ki-84 might have a higher top speed but you can wear him out as long as the chace does not start out with him 4 foot off your six lol. he will over heat much fast and eather fall back or burn his plane up.

Flakenstien
04-01-2005, 04:44 AM
As far as flight training you can't beat this!!!

http://www.joint-ops.com/joil2fb/

Highly recomend for new pilots and even those with some hours under thier belt http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif