PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband

Rwulf__68
01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
As some of ye may have seen prior to the *Crash of 2007*, I've recently ordered a new Pc which, among other valuable assets, will enable me to fly again, with you bunch of reprobates...who I miss chronically http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

So I was wondering how many folk use and/or actively recommend BT's broadband packages. I'm a wee bit piss*d off at the fact ye need a package-Norton by default comes to mind here...but the landlord has given me no other option.

So, some questions:

Flying online a couple of days a week will use up how much of a 5 or 8 Gb/month limit?

Are there any key advantages to getting the option 3 package if question No. 1 is waay too much?

Is there anyway of limiting what they offer you? ie all the yahoo stuff?

So, in the meantime here's what I ordered which came to a round £1073...

AMD ATHLON™ 64 X2 5000+ (2.6GHz) 2 x 512K L2 Cache (Socket AM2)
2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
ASUS® M2N4-SLI: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, 2 x PCI-Ex, 2 x PCI
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS
74GB SERIAL ATA RAPTOR HDD WITH 8MB CACHE (10000rpm)
160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
16X DVD ROM WITH 48X CD ROM
52X 32X 52X CD WRITER
512MB GEFORCE 7950GT PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
Sound Blaster® Audigy® SE with 7.1 Surround Sound
2 x 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORTS (1 PORT ON M2N4-SLI)
1.44MB - 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
INTERNAL 57 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD FORMAT)
Stylish Silver/Black Trident case + 2 front USB
500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU incl Case Fan & CPU Cooler
2 x ONBOARD 1394 FIREWIRE PORTS
19 INCH TFT SIL/BLACK 1280x1024 8MS DVI
Logitech® Internet Keyboard + Hotkeys
Belkin 4 Socket 2M Surge Protector with Phone Protection!
1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1 Year Free Collect & Return

Am also getting a Logitech trackball, MS Actionpack for all software, OS etc.., was going to use AVG for virus stuff & have got 1946 winging it's sweet way to me as we speak!

Cheers now, R

Zoom2136
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Missing the most important stuff

- HOTAS
- Rudder pedals
- Track IR 4***********************

Other then that the build looks great...

Rwulf__68
01-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Still have trusty FFB 2, most of my wits & headset for squad comms...

JG52Uther
01-29-2007, 03:31 PM
What make is the PSU?
Dunno about BT broadband,I am stuck with AOHell until Skybroadband get their act together

x6BL_Brando
01-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I heartily advise AGAINST using BT. I know that everything passes through BT exchanges and POTS at some point, but I recommend using an ISP such as Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.net.uk/) if you're looking for a service that you have total control over.

The Evolution tariff does not limit you to Gb/month, nor does it lumber you with Norton or any other cr@p. A free antivirus package and firewall will take care of your protection needs - even better, use a router which has its own hardware firewall.

The companies involved in Local-loop-unbundling have pretty much got it sorted these days. The example I've mentioned does a good job of looking after its customers too.

B.

PS +1 for TrackIR

SidCheshire
01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Does it have to be BT....?

The reason for asking is that our (my wife and I) experience with them has been way, way less than satisfactory.

6 years ago we had the normal BT dialup line. Telewest had just installed their cables in the area so we had their 1mb broadband package on a new line. Up until last year Telewest upgraded us every so often until we were at 8mb (potentially!!) - we had the BT line and Telewest, working fine.

Last August we decided to slim things down a bit and trim costs by having BT broadband and wireless, getting rid of Telewest. Big mistake....

To cut a long story short, BT technical support and engineer support was awful - we had problems with broadband and wireless. We have now gone back to Telewest 4mb broadband, now with wireless, and are that disgusted with BT we are getting rid of the BT landline. In some areas, I don't think their infrastructure can support it whereas cable is custom built for broadband.

One view, I know, and perhaps a rare one, but very significant.

VV_Holdenb
01-30-2007, 05:07 AM
BT broadband works okay for me.
I have had one day outage in two years, otherwise no problems.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Don`t like BT. I was with them for a while, but they are still very arrogant if you have a complaint with them. They tend to act as if you must deserve them first. If you break away from them, they like to set you with special conditions before you can return - rubbish! It`s almost like an old-fashioned officer pompousnous from 1914!

NTL much more user-friendly.

Inadaze
01-30-2007, 06:14 AM
but I recommend using an ISP such as Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.net.uk/)

I'd warn people NOT to go with Eclipse, my best bud went with them, without his consent they swapped his line to a Local Loop Unbound (LLU) service, they then started choking his connection at peak times.

Because he had been put on the LLU he had no option but to pay £55 to have his line reactivated on the normal IPstream at the exchange when he wanted to migrate. (Unless he stayed on the LLU and could only swap to Tiscali, which wan't an option.)

Because of the useless way that Ofcom has regulated the communications network in this country there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.

A quote about Eclipse from me mate -
They throttle, I've had far far too many service outages (usually in early hours of morning for an hour here and there) they shunted me onto an LLU on the sly, they continue to charge me even after I've migrated out, their tech supports answers consist of 'it's your drivers' even when router and USB modem both report server did not respond in timely manner (ie net is dead but they dont wanna take responcibility) they are f****** 2 bit ******s in short...

Have a look at the ADSL Guide forums (http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/)

x6BL_Brando
01-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Interesting. I've been with Eclipse since 1998 and , yes, I've had my ups and downs with them. Services declined when they sold out to Kingston Communications and incidentally, the fast broadband roll-out started to gather pace. Much of the aggravation can be laid at BT's doorstep, due in part to a certain bloody-mindedness on the part of BT's exchange engineers in relation to working practices. The new rules allowing independent engineers to work in the Exchanges was not well received.

Much of that has now passed. I experienced numerous outages while engaged in online flying during the 8Mb rollout, mainly due to user-error(!). I had not noticed that my router firmware was out of date http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif OOps! I used the webmail support system to work out issues with Customer Services and Tech Support and only ever received clear advice and good support. Consistent nagging on my part did get results, and they forced BT to check my internal wiring and instal a new main socket. My connection has remained consistently solid and fast (for ADSL) since then.

Personally, I don't think communication with ISP staff is helped by "they are f****** 2 bit ******s in short..."-type attitudes. I've always found a bit of patience and politeness works wonders. After all, if someone is holding your nuts in their hand, it's probably good to smile and be pleasant. It helps if you kindly remind them who pays their wages. Just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

None of this means that I wouldn't subscribe to TeleWest if the cable-teams ever get to my sleepy seaside town. But for now the connex I have is good for solid flight between 2000 and 0200hrs - evening peak - or any other time of day. How f****** ******ed is that?

B.

Inadaze
01-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
Interesting. I've been with Eclipse since 1998 and , yes, I've had my ups and downs with them. Services declined when they sold out to Kingston Communications and incidentally, the fast broadband roll-out started to gather pace. Much of the aggravation can be laid at BT's doorstep, due in part to a certain bloody-mindedness on the part of BT's exchange engineers in relation to working practices. The new rules allowing independent engineers to work in the Exchanges was not well received.

Much of that has now passed. I experienced numerous outages while engaged in online flying during the 8Mb rollout, mainly due to user-error(!). I had not noticed that my router firmware was out of date http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif OOps! I used the webmail support system to work out issues with Customer Services and Tech Support and only ever received clear advice and good support. Consistent nagging on my part did get results, and they forced BT to check my internal wiring and instal a new main socket. My connection has remained consistently solid and fast (for ADSL) since then.

Personally, I don't think communication with ISP staff is helped by "they are f****** 2 bit ******s in short..."-type attitudes. I've always found a bit of patience and politeness works wonders. After all, if someone is holding your nuts in their hand, it's probably good to smile and be pleasant. It helps if you kindly remind them who pays their wages. Just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

None of this means that I wouldn't subscribe to TeleWest if the cable-teams ever get to my sleepy seaside town. But for now the connex I have is good for solid flight between 2000 and 0200hrs - evening peak - or any other time of day. How f****** ******ed is that?

B.

I can't say how my friend conversed with the Eclipse staff, I'd guess he was patient and polite... (He normally is anyway!) His quote and use of strong terms came after a couple of months of frustration and having to shell out extra cash to change his own internet connection. (And still getting billed after the service has migrated!)

I know the state of LLU migration in this country isn't Eclipses fault, but the fact remains they moved him to a LLU without warning or his consent, and because of that he had to pay extra money to change to a different provider when he wasn't happy with the service he recieved.

I wouldn't be happy if I had been through the same experience he had with Eclipse. The current rules for migrating from a LLU are ridiculous, having to pay to get your line re-activated because of a decision made by a company without your consent is in my opinion verging on criminal.

I'm not saying you can't get a decent service with Eclipse, I'm pointing out that from a close friends experience and the hassle involved in migrating, I would never consider using Eclipse or reccomending it... (Or any other Internet provider that uses LLU services unless the current hash of system for migration is sorted, simplified and no longer means the end user has to pay extra if they want the freedom of choice to move.)

x6BL_Brando
01-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Being first in the door was how an ISP in a provincial town got started, grew in popularity and got bought out by KC. LLU has been Eclipse's 'domain' for a long time, problem-free, until the rollout I mentioned. I didn't mean to impugn your mate's character - like him, I can only tell it as I experience it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

B.

B.

Xiolablu3
01-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Gaming hardly uses up anything mate.

It generally uses about 5-10kps, a bit more than a 56k modem.

I think BT comes with a 30gb monthly limit, even if you played IL2 24/7 you couldnt get near that 30gb.

Its only when you start downloading Movies/Games every day that you get anywhere near 30gb per month.

BT should be OK if you dont need more than 30gb. YOu can get rid of the Yahoo stuff, I did it on a friends comp. The only notice that Yahoo had ever been there was that you had to get a 2nd IE explorer page up when you wanted to browse the web. (The first was always trying for Yahoo and ended up blank)

Padser
01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
~S~

I've used BT broadband packages for years now and have had no problems at all (touch wood).

Just upgraded to their wireless hub thingy and all is still well - although you do need to clear up after you - all that Yahoo gubbins is a bit annoying. Not too difficult to dispense with though.

I didn't get polluted with their antivirus package - if I remember rightly you can choose not to install it.

I have my flying machine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif plugged in to the hub directly via ethernet and use the wireless function for the laptop.

No regrets yet!

Pads