PDA

View Full Version : Out of action for the next week or two

Kaleun1961
06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I try to post or at least read this forum on a daily basis. I've been "returned to base" due to hardware problems. My notebook PC, from which I conduct all my online activities is "hor's de combat" because of a malfunctioning heatsink/CPU fan. In my laptop, the heatsink and CPU fan are a combo piece. I have suspected that it hasn't been doing a proper job so I have ordered a replacement part. Do you know how hard it is to find replacement parts for a four year old laptop? This part has failed before; on the previous occasion I replaced it myself with a salvaged part. This time I have been fortunate enough to find an American supplier with four dozen in stock and they are new, not refurbished or scavanged! I only ordered one, though I wanted to order two or three, but my wife won't allow such extravagance since I have already spent several hundred dollars at our new Best Buy store, not to mention the 2010 Dodge Charger R/T I custom ordered in April and took delivery of in May.

So, I may not have much of a presence here until the new part arrives and I get my notebook running again. I had suspected overheating, so I installed Speed Fan, which informed me that my CPU was running well into the 70+ Celsius range. I turned it on last night just long enough to retrieve my email, so that it doesn't pile up in the server, and it hit 80 degrees Celsius! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

I'm writing this from one of my daughter's computers. They are seldom offline, so I grabbed this one while I had the chance. Both of their laptops are Vista 64 Home Premium and I hate that OS. I tried to convince them to wait for Windows 7, but they needed them for school. Anyhow, the keyboards are all laid out differently and I keep hitting the wrong keys and making lots of mistakes. I touch type, not hunt and peck, so my muscle memory has been formed on a different keyboard layout. It is extremely annoying as I keep hitting the caps lock or other keys by mistake. Why do laptop makers make such important keys as "shift" and "enter" so small, not to mention the awkward and illogical placement of the "delete" and "backspace" keys? As well, because I live in Canada, there are a bunch of useless bilingual characters, which I suspect may have something to do with the cramped key layout. My own notebook is a 17" widescreen, with a full keyboard, full numberpad on the side and two internal hard drive bays. I use one as my system drive and use the other drive for Acronis True Image 2010 to back up the system drive "on the fly." This means once I have created the initial full backup archive, True Image backs up any changes every five minutes, so my backup archive is always current. The only way I can lose my files is if the computer is stolen or smashed by some accident. Just in case, I also make an occasional full system backup to one of my network drives in my house.

Just wanted to let my buddies here know what is going on, so BdU does not send a "missing in action" signal across the board. Using my girls' notebooks is so annoying that I am simply going to take a break from my forum activities until the old boat is back in action.

K-61

Ende.

Messervy
06-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Let's hope that "la Resistance" stays low and you get your replacement part soon! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaleun1961
06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks, Messervy. As the part is being shipped by the U.S. Postal Service, the French should not be able to sabotage me, unless they route the parcel through Quebec. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Quebec postal clerk:

"Vat is deese, "U-boat engine cooling fan? Non, zeese must not reach ze destination of zeese Boche Kapitan. Vive la resistance!"

bunkerratt
06-20-2010, 06:03 PM
i would ask the "french" postal clerk if he spoke german? if he says no tell him "your welcome" now hand over the part......

Celeon999
06-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Dont worry, the french have other problems at the moment

Their football world is disintegrating and i see a new révolution on de 'orizen !

Yep, 80 degrees is a little hot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Cooling is the number one thing to cause problems in notebooks.

Hope you will be online again soon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VONHARRIS
06-22-2010, 12:58 AM
There is nothing to worry about Herr Kaleun1961.
The BdU will see that your fan will arrive safely. Kein Problem Alles in Ordung!

Looking forward to seeing you back.

Kaleun1961
06-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Just logged in on my daughter's laptop. No replacement part yet. Let's hope it arrives next week. Tomorrow, Monday, I am off for a few days to visit my father; no computer, no internet access.

If the part doesn't show up by my return, I shall have to hang a yardworker for incompetence or sabotage.

Kaleun1961
06-28-2010, 09:11 PM
See, as soon as I mention sending the Gestapo down to the docks, the part magically arrives in the mail today. I spent the evening taking old "U-96" to pieces, installing the new cooler and then rebuilding it. Now it's up and running but not as cool as I would like. It is running more stable, but SpeedFan still shows temps in the low 70's Celsius. Still too hot for my liking. I applied new thermal grease, so maybe it needs a couple of days to cure. We shall be observant over the next few days.