PDA

View Full Version : Where's the ACR Advertising?

Locopells
11-01-2011, 04:46 AM
OK, so I was in London the other day, and going round the tube it's kinda hard not to miss the massive posters for all kinds of video games. Batman, COD, Rage, Drake 3, you name it, they had a poster for it - except Assassin's Creed? Not even outside HMV and the like, where it'll be sold!

How can this be? ACR is surely one of the biggest games coming out in November at the same time as all of thoses, yet not one single advert! Surely Ubi, you've missed a trick here?

Is this the same all over - has anyone else seen posters/billboards advertising ACR or is the entire world in ignorance?

Pictures please, if you've seen anything!

misterB2001
11-01-2011, 04:54 AM
There appears to have been a lot less advertisement than there was for Brotherhood, certainly in the UK .

EscoBlades
11-01-2011, 05:00 AM
There is plenty, you just aren't looking in the right places. I've seen lots of Revelations billboards in London, Peterborough and Birmingham.

Also, Ubisoft have really stepped up the Digital, TV and Print advertising this year. Many game mags, trade mags, youtube, vimeo and tv commercials.

Its there.

misterB2001
11-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Haven't seen any in Hartlepool http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

dewgel
11-01-2011, 05:21 AM
I've seen plenty here in Newcastle. Although there are less than brotherhood. Hmv have old brotherhood posters with ms word A4 posters over the brothrhood logo lol.

Also, I saw a shortened version of the E3 trailer in the imax cinema. That was epic

iN3krO
11-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Locopells:
OK, so I was in London the other day, and going round the tube it's kinda hard not to miss the massive posters for all kinds of video games. Batman, COD, Rage, Drake 3, you name it, they had a poster for it - except Assassin's Creed? Not even outside HMV and the like, where it'll be sold!

How can this be? ACR is surely one of the biggest games coming out in November at the same time as all of thoses, yet not one single advert! Surely Ubi, you've missed a trick here?

Is this the same all over - has anyone else seen posters/billboards advertising ACR or is the entire world in ignorance?

Pictures please, if you've seen anything!

Why do you want to see any acR's poster?

Mr_Shade
11-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

Why do you want to see any acR's poster? maybe due to being interested?

Locopells
11-01-2011, 05:30 AM
What he said.

Esco - where? I'm assuming futher out from the center since that's where I was. Still you'd have though there'd be something in the high profile locations. I saw all the others at least twice each without trying!

EscoBlades
11-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Locopells:
What he said.

Esco - where? I'm assuming futher out from the center since that's where I was. Still you'd have though there'd be something in the high profile locations. I saw all the others at least twice each without trying!

In London? I saw billboards in Moorgate and Gunnesbury. I've also seen the in store cardboard cutouts outside game stores in Hammersmith and HMV Central (Oxford Street)

eagleforlife1
11-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Is there a UK TV advert coming out this year? Ubisfot sent me an email last year telling me that there would be an AC Brotherhood advert at half-time between the Inter Milan and Tottenham match. Haven't seen or even hear about one this year.

Locopells
11-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by EscoBlades:
In London? I saw billboards in Moorgate and Gunnesbury. I've also seen the in store cardboard cutouts outside game stores in Hammersmith and HMV Central (Oxford Street)

Ahh - as I though, I didn't go out that far. And a different HMV. Cool though.

LordWolv
11-02-2011, 01:19 AM
They ARE advertising on TV. I saw an advert that was composed with parts of the E3 trailer, on Channel 5.

travilanche
11-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm in Kansas City and I see quite a few posters all over the place. They have them at wal-mart, target, and big cardboard displays at gamestop and best buy. I also have been seeing tons of commercials on tv for a couple weeks now. They are usually the commercial for the signature edition preorder at gamestop with the song about the coconut bombs, the ottoman jester, and the vlad the impaler sword. VLADED!

Dralight
11-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Isaac500:
They ARE advertising on TV. I saw an advert that was composed with parts of the E3 trailer, on Channel 5.

Yeah i've seen that a couple of times over the past few days. I think it's on a few other channels too.

kalo.yanis
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing today! I travel via the Tube every day and I can't help but notice the GIANT Uncharted 3, Rage and whatnot posters. At one point I was actively on the lookout for ACR posters to no avail... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Then again, we might see them pop up as we get closer to the release date.

Moultonborough
11-02-2011, 05:42 PM
The only AC:R poster I have seen is in my bedroom. Besides the new T.V. ad once or twice I have not seen any type promotion. Either at stores or on Billboards. I wonder what happened this year.

LightRey
11-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Moultonborough:
The only AC:R poster I have seen is in my bedroom. Besides the new T.V. ad once or twice I have not seen any type promotion. Either at stores or on Billboards. I wonder what happened this year.
You're not watching the right channels and you aren't leaving the house often enough?

Altair661
11-02-2011, 06:15 PM
They have the story trailer "No Mercy" on the xbox live dashboard right when you turn on the xbox. Im pretty sure that's good advertisement.

Locopells
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by NBST:
I was thinking the same thing today! I travel via the Tube every day and I can't help but notice the GIANT Uncharted 3, Rage and whatnot posters. At one point I was actively on the lookout for ACR posters to no avail... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Then again, we might see them pop up as we get closer to the release date.

Excatly what happen to me, that made me start this thread!

Originally posted by Altair661:
They have the story trailer "No Mercy" on the Xbox live dashboard right when you turn on the Xbox. I'm pretty sure that's good advertisement.

Wondered about TV and the like, though I rarely watch stuff live, so don't see many adverts anyway. I was more talking about posters etc, as per my OP.

Moultonborough
11-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moultonborough:
You're not watching the right channels and you aren't leaving the house often enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not much to do before winter in New Hampshire. I saw the commercial on ESPN.

Abeonis
11-03-2011, 04:31 AM
There is plenty, [n]you just aren't looking in the right places.[/b] I've seen lots of Revelations billboards in London, Peterborough and Birmingham.

Also, Ubisoft have really stepped up the Digital, TV and Print advertising this year. Many game mags, trade mags, youtube, vimeo and tv commercials.

Its there.

So you're saying that we, the consumer, the people Ubisoft will hope buy the game, should go out of our way to find their advertising?

Granted, there is a lot of advertising in trade magazines and game websites; but their's next to nothing when it comes to targeting new consumers, which is the whole point of advertising.

Personally, speaking as a former Marketing post-graduate, I am of the opinion that a campaign has totally failed to market their product if I don't see at least one advertisement in a media not usually associated with the product, or at least, if I don't see an advert on my TV at home.

Just going back to your original point however, it's not up to us to find the advertising, it's on Ubisoft to put it in a place where we will see it and, so far, I've been dissapointed.

Locopells
11-03-2011, 05:15 AM
Kinda my point - I didn't have to try to see the Batman adverts, yet I don't play (for now). If I wasn't an AC fan and came here, I'd have no idea ACR was just around the corner.

Fair enough, there might be adverts in SOME places, but to got round the center of London, and a lot of the tourist spots, and not see ANYthing...

Chronomancy
11-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Who cares?

Your all lucky Revelations even exists.

And for all of you to be talking about Revelations, Ubisoft has done their job of advertising.

LightRey
11-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Chronomancy:
Who cares?

And for all of you to be talking about Revelations, Ubisoft has done their job of advertising.
This.

Abeonis
11-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Who cares?

That, my friend, is a poor approach to take when advertising a product. As I mentioned previously, all that does is inform people who are already a part of that particular franchise's "community" that a new product is coming out. It does nothing to attract new consumers to the brand, which is the main point of advertising.

I can honestly say that I have never seen an ACR advert anywhere beyond this site, and the wiki (that I can explicitly remember that is).

ShaneO7K
11-03-2011, 07:24 AM
I can remember AC1 advertising on TV maybe a month before release right up to the end of the year. And since that they usually start a couple of weeks from release till around the end of the year again.
I'm guessing when ever they decide to release the Launch trailer is when they will begin TV advertisement this time around.

EscoBlades
11-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Abeonis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chronomancy:
Who cares?

That, my friend, is a poor approach to take when advertising a product. As I mentioned previously, all that does is inform people who are already a part of that particular franchise's "community" that a new product is coming out. It does nothing to attract new consumers to the brand, which is the main point of advertising.

I can honestly say that I have never seen an ACR advert anywhere beyond this site, and the wiki (that I can explicitly remember that is). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't. Most of us have. Clearly you aren't looking in the right places.

Abeonis
11-03-2011, 08:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abeonis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chronomancy:
Who cares?

I can honestly say that I have never seen an ACR advert anywhere beyond this site, and the wiki (that I can explicitly remember that is). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't. Most of us have. Clearly you aren't looking in the right places. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my point exactly. I shouldn't have to look anywhere, the advertising should be in front of me. No-one is going to go and look for an advertisement, are they?

The whole point of an advertisement campaign is to catch your attention as you go about your daily lives. The MW3 and RAGE adverts in the London Underground do this, and I see them on my way to work, ACR however, does not.

LightRey
11-03-2011, 08:07 AM
That's my point exactly. I shouldn't have to look anywhere, the advertising should be in front of me. No-one is going to go and look for an advertisement, are they?

The whole point of an advertisement campaign is to catch your attention as you go about your daily lives. The MW3 and RAGE adverts in the London Underground do this, and I see them on my way to work, ACR however, does not.
No, we've seen them, so they're definitely reaching a part of their fanbase. If you're not seeing them then I guess you're not looking where most of us are looking, which means they made the right decision, because they want to reach the part of the fanbase that is the largest.

EscoBlades
11-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Do you realise the marketing budget that Activision and Bethesda have? Yeah....think about it.

Also, revelations isn't the only game coming out in a particular period. I for one have been swamped by print advertisin for revelations, as well as tv ads.

o BigSte o
11-03-2011, 08:27 AM
There was a billboard advertising the Animus Edition right outside my house but it's been replaced now and we're not even at release yet. MW3 & BF3 are all over the buses, bus stops and T.V though I haven't seen the TV advertisement for AC yet.

Vey03
11-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm in Australia, and i've seen just one TV add so far. And that was actually marketing the game on PS3. The add made it seem like the game was a PS exclusive.

And honestly, saying you're not looking in the right places and watching the right channels? Are you serious?
So i'm meant to set up, what? 15, TVs around the house and have them going 24/7 in the hopes of catching an add?

Personally i've not seen as much as there was for AC2.

And yes, i've seen Batman advertised almost every add break during some movies. I didn't have to go out looking for that. But i guess i'm just watching the wrong channels right?

LightRey
11-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mouse03:
I'm in Australia, and i've seen just one TV add so far. And that was actually marketing the game on PS3. The add made it seem like the game was a PS exclusive.

And honestly, saying you're not looking in the right places and watching the right channels? Are you serious?
So i'm meant to set up, what? 15, TVs around the house and have them going 24/7 in the hopes of catching an add?

Personally i've not seen as much as there was for AC2.

And yes, i've seen Batman advertised almost every add break during some movies. I didn't have to go out looking for that. But i guess i'm just watching the wrong channels right?
Again, as you're not the only person part of the AC fanbase, you're simply not looking where the majority is looking. They're not going to advertize everywhere, they're focusing on the channels and places most (potential) fans will be looking and you're simply not looking there.

rileypoole1234
11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I saw a billboard in London, but I completely forget where. I was thinking the same thing though, I remember more advertisements for Brotherhood.

LordWolv
11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Who cares?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uXrf-fP5MHg/Td70F58s1NI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/KUAxmF8ywTo/s1600/trollman.gif
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">No, but seriously, that's so true. </pre>

kalo.yanis
11-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I have to agree with Abeonis here. So far, the marketing for Revelations has been pitiful. The ONLY place I can recall seeing adverts is in gaming magazines and websites. As far as London goes, I have not seen a single advert either in public transport or anywhere in central London and I'm there on a daily basis. I can, though, clearly recall Uncharted 3 ads EVERYWHERE. It almost makes me wish I had a PS3.

Good Lord, if I weren't such an AC fanboy, I'm not even sure whether I'd know about the game's impending release at all. We should have been bombarded by Ubisoft's commercial cannons by now. They're not gonna win any new customers this way. To think they've invested such a huge a amount of resources into ACR - not marketing it to death would be pure stupid!

Rant over/to be continued.

LightRey
11-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I have to agree with Abeonis here. So far, the marketing for Revelations has been pitiful. The ONLY place I can recall seeing adverts is in gaming magazines and websites. As far as London goes, I have not seen a single advert either in public transport or anywhere in central London and I'm there on a daily basis. I can, though, clearly recall Uncharted 3 ads EVERYWHERE. It almost makes me wish I had a PS3.

Good Lord, if I weren't such an AC fanboy, I'm not even sure whether I'd know about the game's impending release at all. We should have been bombarded by Ubisoft's commercial cannons by now. They're not gonna win any new customers this way. To think they've invested such a huge a amount of resources into ACR - not marketing it to death would be pure stupid!

Rant over/to be continued.
And I don't recall seeing any Uncharted 3 ads whatsoever. The difference here is that that does not automatically make me think that the game wasn't advertised well. After all using my sole experience as a sample for statistical analysis is ridiculous.

kalo.yanis
11-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Difference is, I'm not the only one who hasn't seen ACR ads, by far.

LightRey
11-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Difference is, I'm not the only one who hasn't seen ACR ads, by far.
3 people isn't exactly much my friend.
Unless you know over a thousand people that aren't from the same place either irl or on the internet (same forum or something) that still wouldn't be a good sample.

Chronomancy
11-04-2011, 06:05 AM
With the internet these days a lot of advertisement is done through YouTube and other highly visited websites.

If you visit the internet frequently i'm sure you would of seen a few advertisements by now, I can guarentee that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LightRey
11-04-2011, 06:08 AM
With the internet these days a lot of advertisement is done through YouTube and other highly visited websites.
Precisely. The one thing by far most gamers have in common is that they frequent websites related to gaming and of course websites like Youtube and Facebook that are frequented by most people (with computers) in general. That's where most ads are and that's where they're most effective. TV ads for games are generally a waste of money and don't even start about billboards.

Mr_Shade
11-04-2011, 06:11 AM
I have seen some... And I'm pretty sure the advertising on TV will ramp up next week. - launch week should see a few more adverts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But what do I know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jexx21
11-04-2011, 06:17 AM
I don't really care about advertising tbh.

I know about the game, and as long as the Desmond cycle is completed, I'm happy.

Mr_Shade
11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
For those interested...

Just seen a full advert for the game, on channel 4 in the break on hollyoaks..

Was a PS3 dedicated one in colliition with Game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And no.. I wasn't watching hollyoaks - the other half was, while I'm working.. Iron kid music for the win!

ResidentTroll
11-05-2011, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Shade:
For those interested...

Was a PS3 dedicated one in colliition with Game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And no.. I wasn't watching hollyoaks - the other half was, while I'm working.. Iron kid music for the win!
Nice.
Out of interest, how much do you get paid? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Mr_Shade
11-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by ResidentTroll:

Nice.
Out of interest, how much do you get paid? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif I don't think that's relevant to the topic?

And I would not answer that anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Unless your trying to live up to your new name and be a troll... In which case, your new "identity" may well be your last...

Locopells
12-10-2011, 04:06 AM
An-nyway getting back to topic.

ACR has been out for nearly a month now, so how is it when I was in London yesterday, at many of the same stations, I see massive ACR four separate times without trying!

All saying Nov 15, but hey.

EscoBlades
12-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Because advertising doesn't just stop when the game gets released. Its a continuous process. Especially when you consider planned DLC releases along the way. And holidays like christmas. Perfect time to get more eyes on product and influence a few more sales.

ProdiGurl
12-10-2011, 04:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

Why do you want to see any acR's poster? maybe due to being interested? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I love this reply.

I don't know about anyone else, but the minute I see an AC ad anywhere, I get Xcited
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

By the way, I've seen lots of ads online and on TV in the USA.

Skuldpt
12-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Never saw one in Portugal, which is a lame, since I have a friend who gets them for me (I'm right next to the Uncharted 3 one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

freddie_1897
12-10-2011, 12:14 PM
For those interested...

Was a PS3 dedicated one in colliition with Game
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And no.. I wasn't watching hollyoaks - the other half was, while I'm working.. Iron kid music for the win! YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO WATCH TV, YOU HAVE TO READ THESE FORUMS 24/7!
jk http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif