PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire takeoff flaps

munnst
11-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Just noticed that the Spitfire AI when waiting to take off from carriers deploy take off flap.
Strang, as the Spitfire does not have them and you cannot deploy them yourself.

AWL_Spinner
11-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Do they? Not noticed that yet, will take a look later.

Flaps seem to deploy quite quickly on the Seafire compared to it's land based cousin - I have flaps mapped to my hatswitch now and find a good amount of lift can be gained by thumbing them down just prior to departure from the deck and then up again a couple of seconds later - they're in transit for the whole time so don't give too much drag.

Cheers, Spinner

The_Ant
11-08-2004, 06:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by munnst:
Just noticed that the Spitfire AI when waiting to take off from carriers deploy take off flap.
Strang, as the Spitfire does not have them and you cannot deploy them yourself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they deploy the flaps full/down.The setting that says (landing flaps Down),in pacific fighters this is the only way to get of a carrier with a seafire,without them it´s almost impossible.

WOLFMondo
11-08-2004, 06:44 AM
I read somewhere that IRL seafires would have a wedge of wood stuck in the flaps to lower them a bit to gain lift on take off, once in flight the pilot would lower and then raise the flaps so the wedge would fall out.

AWL_Spinner
11-08-2004, 06:52 AM
WOLFMondo, I believe that story related to Spitfire Mk Vs being delivered to Malta. Not being designed for carrier takeoffs, the Spitfires needed some extra help (including new variable pitch props) to make the takeoff.

The wooden wedges were needed to gain a takeoff flap setting. Once airborne full down was selected and the wedges dropped out. I believe the problem was made worse (from memory, this is detailed in the book "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum) by the fact that on this first delivery many of the Spitfires were on a bi-plane carrier with a short deck and a "ski-jump" ramp resulting in a very short takeoff run.

Seafires, being "native" to carriers, wouldn't have needed such treatment - I'm not sure whether they actually had a takeoff flap setting or whether one wasn't needed. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I can comment. Haven't seen many folks shouting about this being a bug yet, if it is an ommission.

Cheers, Spinner

oisink
11-08-2004, 07:27 AM
yep it was the malta run, i also read that the first patch of RAF pilots didnt realise that the navy calculations for take off in a spit from a carrier were in knots rather than Mph and that error cost many of them their lives :/

RAF_Pagan
11-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Here is a URL for a long article about development of the Seafire written by a test pilot for the program. He talks about using the wooden wedges for rocket assisted take-offs.
Click here. (http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Supermarine-Seafire/sea-info/sea_info.htm)

munnst
11-08-2004, 07:52 AM
they deploy the flaps full/down.The setting that says (landing flaps Down),in pacific fighters this is the only way to get of a carrier with a seafire,without them it´s almost impossible.[/QUOTE]

It could be the angle but it looks different. Place yourself next to the ai and compare the flaps. Looks like the human plane has more flap deployed than the ai.

Tully__
11-08-2004, 08:58 AM
AI have always used flap settings not available to humans. They've been doing it in I-16's since the original IL2 Sturmovik. As far as the AI are concerned, ALL planes have 4 flap settings, raised, combat, takeoff & landing. I haven't tested, but it wouldn't surprise me to see AI F4F's using combat flaps over the 155mph auto raise speed.

Supr
11-08-2004, 09:09 AM
flaps on a slider anyone?

Tully__
11-08-2004, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supr:
flaps on a slider anyone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif that works too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif