PDA

View Full Version : Wildcats?

Mr.Spot
03-29-2005, 10:53 PM
I've been asked several times, "Why do you fly that ugly, old, obsolete POS?"
Answers:
- because I'm an old, ugly, obsolete POS myself.
- it's an honest plane and I only get dead when I try to outfly it.
- I find it a magnificent challenge to meet the 19/1 kill ratio of the USNAS and RNAS Wildcat pilots.

I can't wait for the Spitfire XXXXVVVVVCCCCIIII to come out in the next patch! It will make for a quick deflection shot in my ****-box.

Woof!

stansdds
03-30-2005, 04:08 AM
The Wildcat is seriously under rated by a lot of sim flyers and it was considered obsolete by the military during WW II. The Wildcat did suffer losses early on, but when Wildcat squadrons figured out the strong points and weaknesses of the Wildcat and did the same for the enemy aircraft they were encountering, they changed their tactics and the Wildcat became a serious weapon. You just have to know how to use it.

tigertalon
03-30-2005, 04:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stansdds:
The Wildcat is seriously under rated by a lot of sim flyers and it was considered obsolete by the military during WW II. The Wildcat did suffer losses early on, but when Wildcat squadrons figured out the strong points and weaknesses of the Wildcat and did the same for the enemy aircraft they were encountering, they changed their tactics and the Wildcat became a serious weapon. You just have to know how to use it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Partially agree. Wildcat was obsolete, however, against Japanese contemporary fighters in 41 42 and 43... Like posted here a while ago, even Hurricane pilots had no problem getting on its 6 and staying there... Pilots were succsessful with it only since they had alt advantage, or when going up against unexperienced pilots, or when caught enemy by surprise. If going against A6Ms or Ki43s on equal terms, only thing they could do is dive and RUN...

VW-IceFire
03-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Wasn't it the case that Wildcat and Hurricane pilots were about dead even with getting on each others sixes? Granted the Hurricanes had extra gear for those field mod depth charges?

Wildcat is a superb little plane. As pointed out...its very honest. Doesn't really have any bad attributes. Its not a super performer either. But a FM-2 in a late war arena can sometimes do some good things if its not respected.

Yimmy
03-30-2005, 06:43 AM
The F4F is a very average aircraft, however used properly it can do well.

I used to be awful in it, and get shot down every time I went up in it - now (after flying it non-stop for days) nearly every time I go up I will shoot down 1-3 enemy before managing to land.

If you try to turn fight a zeke, you will lose. However, if one bounces you, all you hae to do is dive to the deck, speed into the distance for a few minutes while he gets smaller and smaller in your mirror, make a turn, do a head on, and light him up like a match.

In one of my games yesterday, a zeke got on my tail, and I let him stay there. Reason being all he had left were his 7.7's.... which do nothing up scratch the paintwork of an F4F from behind.

I do also like the Hurricane, the 12 MG's with their incendiary ammo light up the early Japanese planese as easy as anything... but they cant turn with a zero and they cant out pace them, so you had better be flying with a wing man.

IDF_Raam
03-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Yimmy are you talking about online or offline experience?
I mannage the f4f offline, but online i am still far from success

LEXX_Luthor
03-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Ground and ship Radar was the only reason for Wildcat success against the Japanese. The basic air combat "advantages" of Wildcat and "disadvantages" of Japanese Zero, Val, Kate, Betty fit Perfect with radar guided Wildcat interception.

Sadly, radar is not part of the pop Flight Model or Damage Model, so its off the radar screens of teh computer gamres (and so far, flight sim Devs). However, a few Elite Ace Mission Builder Samaraii can roughly approximate radar guided intercept in their mission files....not that the Dev's AI Wildcats can always take advantage of this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yimmy
03-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Online, IDF.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-30-2005, 02:13 PM
I love the Wildcat. Its one of my top five favorite aircraft in the game to fly. Ill fly the Wildcat over the P-40 anyday. If you wish to see how well the Wildcat performs and how well you can fly it against its number one enemy drop by Zeke_vs_Wildcat server. You will have a blast http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Diablo310th
03-30-2005, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
I love the Wildcat. Its one of my top five favorite aircraft in the game to fly. Ill fly the Wildcat over the P-40 anyday. If you wish to see how well the Wildcat performs and how well you can fly it against its number one enemy drop by Zeke_vs_Wildcat server. You will have a blast http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Havok. If you want to have fun, go to Zekes and Wildcats and fly the F4F. Use energy tactics and you'll do well against the Zekes. Like Havok I prefer the Wildcat over the P-40 too. Just don't try to turn fight a Zeke.

Cragger
03-30-2005, 04:47 PM
When your going fast you can actually turn with a Zeke for a short time (very short like 1/8th of a turn) this is plenty of time to spray him down in a high angle shot with the .50s.

Also while the Zeke can turn quickly its not going that fast when doing so. So while its direction is changing quickly its not actually changing its position all that quickly making it an easier target from above and below.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-30-2005, 06:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cragger:
When your going fast you can actually turn with a Zeke for a short time (very short like 1/8th of a turn) this is plenty of time to spray him down in a high angle shot with the .50s.

Also while the Zeke can turn quickly its not going that fast when doing so. So while its direction is changing quickly its not actually changing its position all that quickly making it an easier target from above and below. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgrt. Over 230mph IAS you can bet your bottom you can turn with a Zeke. About 90 degrees or so. Also at highspeed in a dive with manuvers the Zeke can not even hope to follow. A good pilot will use this to gain an advantage and take control of the fight. A bad Zeke pilot will allow it to happen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif