PDA

View Full Version : anything on BOB

Sigmondo
11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
All,
been out of the IL2 loop for approx a year [ don't ask]. Used to fly online and lived and breathed this simulation. The reason for my post is to attempt to gather more info than I am able to find on what the delay for the release of Oleg's BOB simulation. I have Pacific Fighters and 1946 but I thought the BOB:Storm of War was to be released last Nov. ....any of you able to fill me in on the status of this long anticipated sim? Let alone wish lists!

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-13-2007, 01:43 PM
here: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/viewforum.php?f=14

bhunter2112
11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
yeah you can go over there and get no information as well. Or just stay here and get no information.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by bhunter2112:
yeah you can go over there and get no information as well. Or just stay here and get no information.

Sorry, but Oleg has posted there several times in the last month. While it may not be very detailed info or the info you want but there is info coming out from the dev team there.

stansdds
11-17-2007, 06:10 AM
It will be out when it's out, end of story. Until then, enjoy IL2:1946.

Wepps
11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I think Oleg ran screaming out of this forum a couple years ago lol.

danger13
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
2 weeks ......lol

SlowBurn68
12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Is BoB being delayed due to Vista Dx10 issues (lack of Vista adoption)or will BoB run on XP?

ephemere1962
12-12-2007, 03:33 AM
BoB will run on OpenGL, not on DXxx (information given by Oleg on 1c.ru)
it will run on XP and Vista

stubby
05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
yes it's a total shame this game isn't being promoted in the slightest. i mean, most game makers will throw a bone out like a youtube vid showing some ingame footage and the cool eye candy. Not this game. If it comes out, it will be a bonus. I imagine Oleg bagging the pc direction and converting the game to a blazing angels type game for the next gen console. that's where the real money is not a niche pc market.

VW-IceFire
05-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by SlowBurn68:
Is BoB being delayed due to Vista Dx10 issues (lack of Vista adoption)or will BoB run on XP?
Oleg's always been doing the graphics API programming in OpenGL. DX10 doesn't factor in to the equation and OpenGL is largely just as capable as DX is. Its just less popular...except by the real graphics people and teams outside the general sphere of Microsoft influence.

Aaron_GT
05-24-2008, 05:10 AM
It's not being promoted at the moment, but I am sure it will be when the time comes. When that tim e is I don't know, and it is hard to speculate.

Aaron_GT
05-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Oleg's always been doing the graphics API programming in OpenGL. DX10 doesn't factor in to the equation and OpenGL is largely just as capable as DX is. Its just less popular...except by the real graphics people and teams outside the general sphere of Microsoft influence.

There's a new version of OpenGL too, with more bells and whistles.

OpenGL has some advantages over DirectX as you can send an OpenGL render list to a remote site for rendering, which is why the big visualisation systems using multiple computers and displays use OpenGL. It's also not tied to Microsoft, although I am not sure to what extent the other code is. As I understand it the config screens etc in IL2 are in Java. My preference would be to code the rest using compatibility layer, the reason being is then you are insulated from changes between XP and Vista or beyond, or XP and Linux or Wii or PS3 or whatever, so it gives you more options, provided the compatibility layers are up to date.

VW-IceFire
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
There are some Microsoft links in IL-2...such as DirectSound and DirectInput (for joysticks) which are necessary evils since nobody else offers anything better. But OpenGL is a credible alternative to Direct3D...for a while it was WAAAY better...like when Quake came out. OpenGL or software rendering for you. Direct3D didn't even figure into the equation until much much later since before that it was utter ****. Now the two seem to both be credible.

I think id software still does everything in OpenGL.

tragentsmith
05-27-2008, 06:37 AM
You know what? I just thought about it, but Oleg and Ubisoft are geniuses..... They don't spend a cent in marketing because they don't need too. The fans feed themselves with info (true or not) all the time, every day. They have already a good customer basis.

The only bad thing is that some of us might die before the release of the game (too old, accident, disease, next world war.....) if they continue to wait so long.