PDA

View Full Version : twin engine take offs

shafto
07-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I can take off o.k. in an A-20 but mosquito's and p-38's go around in circles. Too much at the O.Club? Shafto

shafto
07-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I can take off o.k. in an A-20 but mosquito's and p-38's go around in circles. Too much at the O.Club? Shafto

M2morris
07-28-2008, 07:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shafto:
I can take off o.k. in an A-20 but mosquito's and p-38's go around in circles. Too much at the O.Club? Shafto </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know in the P-38 you gotta start one engine at a time and then you can select 'all engines'
to get em both to work at the same time. Tweek it a little and mess with it. Map your keys to it and look at your throttle levers to make sure theyre moving at the same time.

Then you can throttle up and roll out.

Ritter_Cuda
07-28-2008, 07:32 AM
watch your gauges the p-38 has 2 needles if they don't both move as one your engines are out of balance.

ImMoreBetter
07-28-2008, 07:40 AM
After you start both engines, you have to select 'all engines'. Otherwise you are only putting power onto one of them.

mike_espo
07-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Never flew P-38. But the lightning should not have any torque as propellers rotated different directions: so torque would be cancelled. Hope it is modellled correctly.

UgoRipley
07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
That's strange. If you can take off in a, say, A20, you should be able to do it in other multiengines as well (IIRC there's only the HE-111 that has some kind of "bug" in ground handling, making it go in circles, like you describe).
I guess it's more a problem of asymmetrical power applied, rather than torque. I don't think that torque alone can make you turn in circles (at least in game, don't know in RL).

That's what I do, rather schematic and simple:
select engine 1
power on
throttle back
select engine 2
power on
throttle back
select all engines
go

M2morris
07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
I do a start-up of the engines here in this video that pertains to the thread.

A P-38 doing a short take-off and landing with some combat in-between:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r8zwPTjokA

fabianfred
07-30-2008, 10:32 PM
UgoRipley has it right...you probably have complex engine management and haven't selected "all engines' after starting them individually

especially shouldn't have any probs with the P-38 since it has contra-rotating props

best to get a throttle set...or Saitek AV8R and use both throttles with the Throttle program