PDA

View Full Version : Don't install the Myst III patches if you have the Myst IV ver of Myst III

Locut0s
11-25-2004, 07:51 PM
I've posted this both on the Myst forums and the Myst IV forums since it sort of belongs on both.

If you bought the Myst IV special edition DVD set that came with Myst III on DVD don't install the patches from ubisoft for Myst III. At least not ver 1.22 when I installed it the game refused to start. It would just complain about not finding the CD-ROM, this is a DVD edition.

Locut0s
11-25-2004, 07:51 PM
I've posted this both on the Myst forums and the Myst IV forums since it sort of belongs on both.

If you bought the Myst IV special edition DVD set that came with Myst III on DVD don't install the patches from ubisoft for Myst III. At least not ver 1.22 when I installed it the game refused to start. It would just complain about not finding the CD-ROM, this is a DVD edition.

biggie_101
11-25-2004, 09:44 PM
really?

huh.. i haven't installed the Exile game yet but i did download a patch from ubisoft.. is it the same one?

Locut0s
11-25-2004, 09:55 PM
biggie_101: I believe there are only 2 patches available for Myst III on Ubi's site. One of them updates the game to ver 1.2 and has a file name of Myst3Patch12.exe the other updates the game to ver 1.22 and has file name m3patch122_us.exe. When I tried installing the 1.22 patch the game refused to start complaining of being unable to find the CD-ROM. Also while installing the patch it asked if it was OK to overwrite a couple of read only files in the Myst III install directory. My guess is that this patch was released for the CD-ROM version of the game and that the DVD rom edition of the game that came with Myst IV is not entirely compatible with this patch. If you wish you can install the patch and see if it works for you, if not all you have to do is uninstall and reinstall the game.