PDA

View Full Version : @ AFLAK and other Yak 9K drivers

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 03:01 PM
In the original IL2 the 9K was a slow accelerating a/c often outclassed by other fighters, but I grew to love it (as we all did) for its sledgehammer of a cannon and the fact that I could get consistent kills with it.

In FB 1.0, I found that the FM had been "uberized" slightly (better E retention).

Last night I finally got back online (I'd defected to play Myst III for a while) on Crazyivan's server and tried my old mount again. It did not go well /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

The FM seems to have de-uberized, imho:
the E retention is not what it was
the cannon recoil has been increased (shake is worse and slows you down more).
Slow speed (less than 300) turn rate seems to have gotten worse; high speed turn rate is about same.

Maybe I was just rusty, but the 9K no longer seems to be even marginally competitive and I think I may have to change mounts (I'm leaning to P-39) because getting no kills is frustrating after a while.

What are your observations? Are you still driving the "one-shot-killer" or have you switched planes (and which planes have you switched to?)? if you haven't switched planes what are your new strategies (other than getting up to 4000m and BnZing).

Cheers all-

PS- if you want to discuss the accuracy of the FM vs. real life that's fine; but what I really want to know is how to adjust to the new FM (not whether it's realistic or not).

Message Edited on 09/04/0302:18PM by Cold_Gambler

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 03:01 PM
In the original IL2 the 9K was a slow accelerating a/c often outclassed by other fighters, but I grew to love it (as we all did) for its sledgehammer of a cannon and the fact that I could get consistent kills with it.

In FB 1.0, I found that the FM had been "uberized" slightly (better E retention).

Last night I finally got back online (I'd defected to play Myst III for a while) on Crazyivan's server and tried my old mount again. It did not go well /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

The FM seems to have de-uberized, imho:
the E retention is not what it was
the cannon recoil has been increased (shake is worse and slows you down more).
Slow speed (less than 300) turn rate seems to have gotten worse; high speed turn rate is about same.

Maybe I was just rusty, but the 9K no longer seems to be even marginally competitive and I think I may have to change mounts (I'm leaning to P-39) because getting no kills is frustrating after a while.

What are your observations? Are you still driving the "one-shot-killer" or have you switched planes (and which planes have you switched to?)? if you haven't switched planes what are your new strategies (other than getting up to 4000m and BnZing).

Cheers all-

PS- if you want to discuss the accuracy of the FM vs. real life that's fine; but what I really want to know is how to adjust to the new FM (not whether it's realistic or not).

Message Edited on 09/04/0302:18PM by Cold_Gambler

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:32 PM
lol

I guess nobody flies the 9K anymore- oh well...

a little bump and then I'll let this thread die-

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I have to kinda agree with u. I'm kinda new, but I barely flew 9K in IL2, picked it up in some easy servers in FB1.0 and had a BALL. But it seemed to slow down quite a bit in 1.1 and recoil seemed to make it impossible (for me anyway) to hit anything anymore. Can really only use them now as energy/bnz weapons.

Learned P39 N1, and Q1's, and they've replaced my yearning for one shot kills, even though 37's don't always guarantee this. But 39's have given me is a respect for machine guns, often i destroy more planes with them before i even have chance to fire cannon, particularly with N1 with extra ammo; little more than minute of steady MG fire. Then when encountering Il2's, He111's, TB3's and such, there's the old 37mm wing separator. Once you start flying 39's, at least in their present FM, you'll find it hard to go back to 9K's, IMHO

"Remember, that's war. We're all in one boat. He who thinks only of himself will destroy himself too. Such selfishness will not be tolerated!"

Kambei Shimada, Seven Samurai

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:35 PM
bump!

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 01:14 PM
I flew the Yak 9K and T a lot in IL2, then I realized how ez it was to get kills in them. I mean I got 10 kills in 1 flight and it was not even unlimited ammo! It seemed that the shells had heat seaking warheads or something! I could score head on shots, high deflection, and LONG distance shots EZ. I started flying the P-39 because I read on the forums it was hard to learn, but well rewarding! I never looked back. If the Yak 9T/K were "de-uberized" then GOOD! Those things were ultra-noobie rides. Very little penelty's for such a BIG gun.

Ya, the P-39's 37MM is not a guaranteed 1 shot 1 kill, but trust me. If you land 1, they wont be limping away very fast. I hit a P-47 about 5 times before it finally exploded. About the only aircraft that can take multiple hits are FW-190 A series, P-47's and LA's. Yak's and Run-09's just crumble. Plus anything thats more manuverable then you (LA's and Yak-3's) you can help level the playing field with the MG's on a first pass. The bird will also get you home missing rather large chunks and belching some acrid black fumes http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I love the P-39, and I will love the P-63.

Gib

I am now accepting donations to help get the PBY flyable.

<center><form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="gibbage@lycos.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Gibbages IL2; FB PBY Catalina Fund">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="http://gibbageart.havagame.com/donations.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form></center>

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Hey! This thread is back from the dead!

After some more testing, I've pretty much determined that the 9K has been castrated too much for furballing /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif .

I'll probably fly still fly the 9K on gound=pounder/ bomber intercept missions but for the online dfs my new ride of choice will likely be the P-39.

Cheers all- /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 02:26 PM
I didn't even notice the difference. I took the 9K for a spin and it seemed pretty fine to me but I'm not really a Yak driver in the first place.

As far as no kills online, I seem to have a major shortage of that myself no matter what the plane is. I do everything right and then the guy I was setting up to shoot at lags and is behind me in 30 seconds flat and I'm dead...wash, rinse, repeat. I bet the 9K is going to be just as prone to everyone elses lag as any other plane http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/icefire/icefire_tempest.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill