PDA

View Full Version : Has PF been forcefully removed from store shelves yet?

Me (Pilot 1)
06-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Back around christmas there was talk of this happening, copyright B.S. or something like that? What happend regarding this matter? Was it a marketing ploy to scare us into buying it? I'm a bit skeptical, I bought it, just got no time to play it...drat!

CRSutton
06-03-2005, 02:57 PM
No, I saw it today.

CapBackassward
06-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Don't know. Good question. But you can be d**n sure if somebody is having too much fun there will be someone trying to rain on their parade.

Rick

stansdds
06-03-2005, 05:52 PM
It's still on the shelves, although you sometimes have to wipe away a half inch of dust to find it.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Still on the shelves..... AND NOW ONLY $20 IN THE US!!! Notice the trend when games get a bad review or something horribly happens they drop the price like a stone.. first to $20.. give it a few more months and I wouldn't be suprised to see it just in a jewel case at $9.99.

I have to say I dont mind paying full price of the game, I think it was worth it.

Weather_Man
06-03-2005, 08:58 PM
No, it's for sale aplenty.

VW-IceFire
06-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Me (Pilot 1):
Back around christmas there was talk of this happening, copyright B.S. or something like that? What happend regarding this matter? Was it a marketing ploy to scare us into buying it? I'm a bit skeptical, I bought it, just got no time to play it...drat!
That was total BS coming from some random people...

partic_3
06-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty sure UBI paid Northrup/Grumman because UBI failed to put the "registered trade mark" sign next to the relevent 'planes on the packaging. They then added this (large?) amount to the costs of prducing the game thereby significantly reducing the profit, out of which came the royalties that are paid to the developer.
The error was completely the fault of UBI, a schoolboy error if ever there was one but 1C Maddox paid the price.

At least that's how I understood it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OldMan____
06-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by _VR_ScorpionWorm:
Still on the shelves..... AND NOW ONLY $20 IN THE US!!! Notice the trend when games get a bad review or something horribly happens they drop the price like a stone.. first to $20.. give it a few more months and I wouldn't be suprised to see it just in a jewel case at $9.99.

I have to say I dont mind paying full price of the game, I think it was worth it.

bad review? it got 89% in PC gamer..

ImpStarDuece
06-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Gamers' Hel1 gave it 92%.

It scored in the 90's quite often and the 70's quite often. Flight sims are one of those games that tend to polarise people. You like them or you don't.

Worst review I have seen is 65%. That was from an admitted non simmer and had paragraphs like these in it;

There are a lot of buttons on my keyboard, but simply because they are there does not mean you have to use them all. So why is it that flight games love to do just that? They make you use every single key on your keyboard. Now I understand the concept of trying to make a game that is as realistic as possible, but maybe its just me, but I play games to escape from life, I want something that makes more since, that is simpler. I have to learn skills for my job, not for my game. In fact there are so many buttons for this game that included is an eight, yes that€s right, eight pages of buttons and their associated default functions. Since I have a natural tendency to not appreciate the finer side of realistic flight sim games it was fairly hard for me to give Pacific Fighters a fair shake, but I will do my best, so here it goes.

The map is nice and annoying at the same time. The nice part of the map is that it is the only way you can figure out where you are supposed to fly to next. Now for the annoying stuff, I found no way to zoom in or out in the mini-map and the default size is too small to get a good perspective of what is around you or where you are heading.

Replay of this game I would have to say is very low, but then I can€t see someone actually sitting through and winning one mission, let alone the whole game, so I can€t imagine someone playing through this game alone.

showboat1971
06-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I saw it in two game stores and a Walmart over the last week. It was as cheap as $14.99 and as high as 19.99. My question is will there ever be any kind of update or should I just move on to another game?

ElAurens
06-04-2005, 10:08 AM
The patch will be here soon, Have patience.

AFJ_Locust
06-04-2005, 10:10 AM
_VR_ScorpionWorm
Still on the shelves..... AND NOW ONLY $20 IN THE US!!!

Thats funny I just seen it at Best Buy for
49.95 US

Ace_Eloff
06-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Worst review I have seen is 65%. That was from an admitted non simmer and had paragraphs like these in it;

Wow, he's impartial isn't he? How about he just admits that he's a console fanboy? He ought to realize that the fan base for sim games is looking for the very things he thought so poorly of, and thus the game really excels at what it tries to accomplish.

SeaNorris
06-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Here is the full review:
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=455260

Jex_TG
06-07-2005, 07:43 AM
As a game reviewer, Daniel (daniel.comer@nlgaming.com) obviously needs some training - but his crappy review does have some valid points. The map IS rubbish. It doesn't auto centre and the way it zooms in is appalling for a game of these times. Of course I may be missiing something but so far, nobody can tell me how to A) zoom in OR zoom out without having to click the mouse button multiple times and B) how to centre it.

The other part of his review about flight times. Who in their right mind has 1.20 minutes to waste doing absolutely nothing? 10 or 15 minutes flight time is fine, any more than that and I could be doing something more worthwhile. It may represent history, but this is also a game. Yes there is time compression but I play coop only. We cannot afford to waste so much time in boring, repetitive flight and time comp doesn't work in MP.

Add to that the bugginess of the product and failure to deliver the promised "Extra Content" and I think as a stand alone product 65% is probably about right.

Capt._Tenneal
06-07-2005, 08:01 AM
I actually saw PF in Wal-Mart of all places !? I never figured them to carry a "niche" product, just mysteriously popular games like the ubiquitous SIMS series.

It just started appearing the past month or so, so by Wal-Mart standards they're late, considering they sold Strike Fighters in beta form as a finished product .

Aside from the jewel box version, we might see PF in some sort of Platinum pack with FB and AEP by the Holidays.

VW-IceFire
06-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by showboat1971:
I saw it in two game stores and a Walmart over the last week. It was as cheap as $14.99 and as high as 19.99. My question is will there ever be any kind of update or should I just move on to another game?
From what the rumors suggest...there will be more than one update to PF before we're done. The big update is rumored to be available by the end of this week.

KarayaEine
06-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I haven't seen PF or IL-2;FB or ACES on the shelves in months. The only thing they carry now is some version of Battlefield;1942, or The Sims. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Johann

Old_Canuck
06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Jex_TG:
As a game reviewer, Daniel (daniel.comer@nlgaming.com) obviously needs some training - but his crappy review does have some valid points. The map IS rubbish. It doesn't auto centre and the way it zooms in is appalling for a game of these times. Of course I may be missiing something but so far, nobody can tell me how to A) zoom in OR zoom out without having to click the mouse button multiple times and B) how to centre it.

The other part of his review about flight times. Who in their right mind has 1.20 minutes to waste doing absolutely nothing? 10 or 15 minutes flight time is fine, any more than that and I could be doing something more worthwhile. It may represent history, but this is also a game. Yes there is time compression but I play coop only. We cannot afford to waste so much time in boring, repetitive flight and time comp doesn't work in MP.

Add to that the bugginess of the product and failure to deliver the promised "Extra Content" and I think as a stand alone product 65% is probably about right.

You have a right to your opinion but why do you spend so much time playing a game you obviously hate so much?

Tiger27
06-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Old Canuck, my thoughts exactly, if you dont have more than 15 - 20 mins to spare then Jex_TG, Flight Simming probably isnt for you, they make plenty of games that cater to people with shorter attention spans, or less available time, and the x-box is now getting some flight games that may be more your style, if BoB has full engine management you'll find your gaming time being swallowed up just going through the engine start up procedure.

jarink
06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
I think the map should appear strapped to my virtual leg only from inside my virtual cockpit.

That would be realistic.

Jex_TG
06-08-2005, 04:57 AM
You have a right to your opinion but why do you spend so much time playing a game you obviously hate so much?

OC

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."

Where did I say I hated the game? In what part of my post did I say it was a **** game and just how, exactly, do you know that I "spend so much time playing it"? I don't, but I do enjoy the odd online DF with some friends IF the server happens to have missions for us (instead of airquake) and currently, I think there is only one truely dedicated server for SA PF.

The reason I don't spend "so much time playing it" is because it sucks as a game for me and my friends. We are from across the world, so our gaming time is limited. That means we won't fly the ridiculously longwinded flight times over boring, blue sea for 4 enemy planes and a carrier. We tried the Lownegrins (or something) DCG, that turned out to be useless. We don't want stupid flight times so we set the encounter range for shorter ones, this works fine but we have an air start and no landing. We want to take off and land at the carrier, so no good. There are a few missions out there to play, but again these vary in qualtiy and really aren't that much - we want a dynamic campaign that allows to just jump in and go for the objectives.

My comments are about the review, which have to be taken as an out-the-box product, and out the box, this game simply does not stand up.

In it's current form the game is enjoyable, and the forthcoming patch will hopefully finish it off as a full game. But there is NO way this game should have received a 90% rating for it's 'out the box' state.

But since you are obviously a maddox fanboy, I suspect that my argument here will go sailing over your head. And actually what I hate is ill thought out comments based on nothing but opinion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

terrabit2001
06-08-2005, 06:37 AM
People that say they dont like this game because it has "too many keys" or "takes too long" are the type of people that say things like "I hate shakespeare because there are too many funny words" ...

65 percent maybe, but not for the reasons the reviewer was talking about .. I mean come on..

DuxCorvan
06-08-2005, 09:28 AM
I suggest you to play a 'Silent Hunter III' campaign without any time compression... time to think about your life... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Jex_TG
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
I suggest you to play a 'Silent Hunter III' campaign without any time compression... time to think about your life... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

There are people doing just that, and if I could get the game working I would give it a go too. As a single player game, spending time immersing oneself can be good, but I doubt I'd keep it up for long and would end up using TC. However, when your time is limited and involves other people, time is of the essence.

Terrabit: I agree, he makes some really bad points about a game and he's an official reviewer - should know better.