PDA

View Full Version : Help with Torpedoes...they don't hit nor detonate...

Jacob2739
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm trying this torpedo excersice to learn how to shoot torpedoes. All prior excersices went well. I start shooting at the C2 cargo vessel. 2 torpedoes...I think it was some 2000 (whatever units the game uses) And my solution arrow was green. So I just fired 2 torps. Right next to it (from my point of view) and 1000 closer is a small merchant. Green arrow, two torps. BOTH torps on the small merchant misses or doesn't detonate!! That attack failed completely! Of the two torps headed for the C2 only 1 seems to hit AND detonate. Thats how it looks from my view. Then tube 1 and 2 reloads, and I shoot those off too, against the C2. Both hits, none of them detonates....AAARRRGH!!!

I shot 6 torpedoes and only 1 seemingly succesful hit?!?!?! Are the torps really supposed to perform THAT bad!?!??!

Jacob

Foehammer-1
06-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Yes, they are. That small merchant is there for a reason. The angle of it is quite sharp to your boat, so all your torpedoes meant for the C2 harmlessly bounced off the small merchant's hull. Here is what you do. Set the depth of a torpedo to 1 meter below the merchant's waterline, and shoot at its bow. The merchant will move forward a bit and your torpedo will sink it, hitting amidships. Then you can do whatever you want to the C2. Also, the default spread angle on a salvo (if you use it) is 5 degrees, and at a distance of 2000m it will make your torps run in front and behind the C2. Hope that helps. Don't be so frustrated

gazpode_l
06-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi jacob.
Another way is this....Press f6 or f7 to go to the TDC section. The select the depth your torpedo is running at to 1m. Also change the pistol setting from M to I. This means you change the method the torpedo detonates from magnetic (which is set to default) to impact.

MAGNETIC pistol firing mechanisms were designed to operate only when the torpedo would run UNDERNEATH the hull of the target, this being usually a couple of meters. it would detect the hull and go off, the resulting explosion causing massive damage.

This is a SUPERB method of sinking ships on a single blow but takes much practice & patience to get right. I'd suggest you stick with the impact method until about 1941/42 as i'm sure I read it was then the magnetic methods were resolved properly and really began working effectively.

The real magnteic firing mech was subject to unreliability until about mid-war when the germans finally sorted it. The game actually simulates this too, so I am using the impact method with significantly more success than the magnetic, although I do miss sometimes! EVERYBODY DOES! :-)

Rood-Zwart
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Don't forget to open your tube before firing (default = Q ), otherwise your solution will be a few seconds off

Jaste07
06-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Also, when using impact, it sometimes helps to set the running depth shallower, especially with smaller ships. The torpedo is most likely to detonate when striking a flat surface, as close to 90 degrees as possible. Ships hulls curve near the bottom, so if the torpedo strikes the hull too low, ie. where the hull is curving, it will be less likely to set off the impact trigger.