PDA

View Full Version : Quick trim question

stansdds
02-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Somewhere along the way I seem to recall someone said that one tap of a keyboard key equaled one degree of trim. Is that true?

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Don't know.... Why not put a plane on the runway and give it a test? Sounds like an approximation to me. I'd guess it's more than 1 degree...

stansdds
02-18-2006, 09:23 AM
I know I can trim to the point of having the control surfaces in full deflection. If we are going to have "accurate" flight models and flight physics, then I would think accurate and repeatable trim would be needed. It surely is needed in real aircraft.

Mongoose117A
02-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Stan, do you have a mouse with a scroll wheel? I seem to recall that it's usable for at least pitch trim.

Tim

stansdds
02-18-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm just curious, I mapped trim to my keyboard as tapping a key is repeatable and consistant, whereas a trim wheel is not as consistant.

Tully__
02-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Last time I checked trim was dependant on cumulative key depressed time. A 'tap' is not precise, it depends on operator technique. 5 'long' taps might apply more trim than 10 'short' taps. If you press and hold your trim key the control surface will deflect to full trim setting.

Incidentally, full trim is not full deflection, joystick input will still deflect the control further.

redfeathers1948
02-20-2006, 02:17 AM
The trim model in this sim is the only thing I can ***** about. It sux!! That is I have to work a little bit with the scroll wheel 'bands' adjustment in my X-52 profiler. Pain in the brokeback mountains.Dont know why one button click couldnt be one degree or so movement on the trim controls. Oh well nothin is perfect. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

bogusheadbox
02-20-2006, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by redfeathers1948:
The trim model in this sim is the only thing I can ***** about. It sux!! That is I have to work a little bit with the scroll wheel 'bands' adjustment in my X-52 profiler. Pain in the brokeback mountains.Dont know why one button click couldnt be one degree or so movement on the trim controls. Oh well nothin is perfect. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I really don't know why you are whining, especially with an X52 controller. I have my elevator and rudder trim mapped to both wheels on the throttle. Works like a charm (granted a soft touch is needed) aerlerons are mapped to my cursor right and left keys on keyboard (which i hardly use)

Even if i didn't have trim mapped to the X52, i know the keyboard works fine.

Are you upset that aircraft don't have trim markings like the mosquito so you can preset your take off trim, loaded trim and clean trim automatically? If so, then i don't understand. I am constantly trimming for different flight conditions and i don't use the trim markers. I just trim until the slip indicator and I are happy.

on take off i use no trim at all with everthing centred. The only time i use trim is for carrier take offs to apply elevator.

Maybe i don't understand what you are angry at. But i find the trim works fine using keyboard and X-52

redfeathers1948
02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
(granted a soft touch is needed

Nah i aint angry or whinin just a comment is all. I love this flight sim and would rather not have to sweat a light touch in the heat of battle. My x52 is a great stick and I got it wired for trim so all is well!!...you feel me?

Treetop64
02-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by stansdds:
Somewhere along the way I seem to recall someone said that one tap of a keyboard key equaled one degree of trim. Is that true?

That might be correct. If you're in an F4 Wildcat, and you adjust the aileron or rudder trim with one tap of the keyboard, you can actually see the trim knob move what appears to be one notch.

Now, I think how much the trim tab itself moves strictly depends on how the trimming system was desinged, specific for each aircraft type.

Browning50cal
02-21-2006, 03:49 AM
I think that the trim works fine. I haven't mapped it to a controller or anything else. I can trim for a 2000ft/min climb, I can trim for level flight at high or low speeds. What else do I need?

Its repeatable. I can go 5 clicks one way, and 5 clicks back, and my aircraft returns to its previous flight atitude.

B50

WWSensei
02-21-2006, 06:33 AM
I use the hat switch on my CH joystick for elevator and rudder trim. I use the CH programming tool to execute keyboard taps of fixed duration so that trimming is consistent and easy. Since doing so trimming isn't nearly as annoying as it used to be. Might not be exactly right in all cases but it's not the PITA it used to be.