PDA

View Full Version : Its official now! No mines , No subnets ,No ships in any port!

oscar0072004
03-14-2005, 06:49 AM
As much as i,m waiting to get my hands on SH-3 and the fact that this is the best sim ever ! I find it a little letdown there are a couple of things missing in SH-3 that the Dev team said was allready in! Read for yourself!

(SH3_Dev_Team): Coast patrols, BASE PATROLS and task forces - same (SH3_Dev_Team): Airbases, naval bases, coastal defences, MINEFIELDS, ANTI-SUB NETS - it's all there (SH3_Dev_Team):

Now this confuses me when i read Neal gold review! check it out what he had to say about the missing things.

"Upon entering Portsmouth proper (where were the mines and anti-submarine nets?) there was no naval or patrol activity. No ships at the piers. Lots of buildings, lighthouses, and docks and they looked good so I am not sure why the dev team decided not to add a few cargo ships sitting at the quay for visual effect. Just asking. If I was one of those guys who is never, ever satisfied, I might suggest that Allied ports should have a hard coded zone around them€"any time the player enters, patrol craft should seek him out and ruin his day. That is, if he can get past the mines and anti-sub nets. Come to think of it, I never saw any U-boats in the pens when I left port, either. Maybe there€s a mod in this somewhere"

Also a litte qoute from the dev corner .

"Thus, one of my main goals become to find a way to have in the game the adrenaline packed missions where the player will sneak his U-Boat inside an Allied port, hitting unexpectedly the prize targets and than barely evading out of the hornet€s nest the port would become"

JG27_Arklight
03-14-2005, 06:51 AM
Wait for the patch.

It sounds like the patch was planned ahead of time.

MooseNoodles
03-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Thus, one of my main goals become to find a way to have in the game the adrenaline packed missions

I guess he never found a way :P

matkal80
03-14-2005, 07:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
Wait for the patch.

It sounds like the patch was planned ahead of time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jg27 u have no idea if this will be in patch or not. So why u make this kind or replies?

oscar0072004
03-14-2005, 07:19 AM
The confusing thing is that the dev team themselves stated it was all in the game allready! So its not a matter it did not make it in the final version.

con20or
03-14-2005, 07:26 AM
if the dev tea said it would be in it then i would be more inclined to believe them. maybe that was a demo version that the reviewer was playing? and i could have sworn i read a review somewhere that said they HAD seen other uboats in the pens when leaving. even silent hunter 2 had friendls ships in port the odd time.

although knowing silent hunter 2 it was probably a glitch and the ship should have been in the pacific.

naturalhigh1985
03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Yeah I think its a thing for a patch too though, esp if they said it would be in. I mean they said refuels would be in too, but theyre not until the first patch. So, technically theyre not in, same as ships in harbour. So lets wait for the first patches, then we can have a bit of a ***** http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Philipscdrw
03-14-2005, 07:42 AM
If the ports are modelled realistically, then 95% of the time, if you go near one, you will get caught by a patrol, and die. Adrenaline-packed near-suicide missions are nice, but you won't be doing them that often. This is a minor omission, which will hopefully be included in an add-on in 6 months time along with wolfpacks and perhaps an Italian submarine.

I'd prefer to get SH3 without the ports on Friday 18th, to getting SH3 with fully populated ports on the 2nd April...

GabberHardcore
03-14-2005, 09:00 AM
now think of it, its a dynamic campaign your gone fight. the revieuwer didn't told how many times he visited that port. Maybe on that particular point there where indead no ships.
Yes its unlikley but its possible, that next time he comes there he faces a totally different scenario http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

wolfh2o
03-14-2005, 09:12 AM
There are nets and mines in the campaign/mission editor.

RedTerex
03-14-2005, 09:16 AM
I think there will be an 'Add-On' rather than a patch.
To include ships in ports, patrol craft, mines, Anti-Sub nets, re-fuel and supply, Better radio messages from BDu and music for the gramaphone.

Hmm that list is quite long isnt it, is it going to grow??...never mind !

HeibgesU999
03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Did a uboat every go into Portsmouth harbor in WWII? I know they mined the shipping lanes outside most English harbors early in the War? This seems pretty arcadey going into Allied ports.

It isn't realistic for a uboat to go into NYC harbor, so I'm glad the dev's spent their time concentrating on the merchant war at sea.

I don't need any arcadey forays into Allied ports that never happened in WWII. I'm for realistic uboat missions.

Some folks here have bee watching too much Destination Tokyo. Maybe you should try Enigma.

erikkai66
03-14-2005, 09:37 AM
It's hard for me to believe that the mines and nets are in the editor but not in the dynamic campaign.

Until we play it at length, we won't know.

However, if they're not in there, God that's like blatant false advertisement from the developers.

oscar0072004
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
I would rather see it in a patch . If it will be in an addon we would have to pay for something that was garanteed to be in the origanal game all allong! Now that not right man.

RustyTorpedo
03-14-2005, 09:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex:
To include ships in ports, patrol craft, mines, Anti-Sub nets, re-fuel and supply, Better radio messages from BDu _and_ music for the gramaphone.

Hmm that list is quite long isnt it, is it going to grow??...never mind ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, This should be part of the core of the game, not an addon... It's like playing a flightsim without weather-effects... Just wouldn't feel right playing it...

bertgang
03-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Unpleasant news.
Without nets, mines, merchants and patrols enemy harbours are only places for tourists, in campaign mode.
On the other hand, our boats shouldn't visit them really often, during normal patrols; maybe that's the reason of the choice.

ashbery76
03-14-2005, 10:02 AM
The simple fact is the game was rushed out the door by Ubi-suck.They didn't have time to finish the dynamic campaign,so they released a half-baked dynamic campaign.Dissapointing.

Krycek1972
03-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Yep your right, without playing it for myself its totally ****. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Charlie901
03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
O.K., but IIRC the Dynamic Campaign is moddable, so maybe even though it isn't in on initial release, someone soon can make a mod to add such things!

WhipFlash
03-14-2005, 10:14 AM
It looks like a couple of replies have mentioned the Mission Editor. I would think that you'd be able to include those items in the mission you create. As for rushing out the door? Remember the sim was due out months ago but was postponed. We all have the choice to plunk down money for the sim or not. Everyone knows that there is no perfect sim (and never will be). There's always something to criticize and being so negative before we have the sim seems kind of sad. Hang in there guys and take care.

Muppetts
03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
A 10/10 review for an incredible game and people always want more.

Well I would have liked.....what were the Devs thinking...etc etc.

Never happy.

Me I don't care, let me get on that sucker and forget the rest. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

ashbery76
03-14-2005, 10:56 AM
The Devs claimed Wolfpack support,they claimed Lively ports.Where are they?

JG27_Arklight
03-14-2005, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matkal80:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
Wait for the patch.

It sounds like the patch was planned ahead of time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jg27 u have no idea if this will be in patch or not. So why u make this kind or replies? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is wrong with "wait for the patch"?

Nothing.

You should wait for the patch. I don't know if there is anything like this in the patch....but waiting for it is your only option.

Hows that for a reason?

wolfh2o
03-14-2005, 11:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by muppetts:
Me I don't care, let me get on that sucker and forget the rest. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

oscar0072004
03-14-2005, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WhipFlash:
It looks like a couple of replies have mentioned the Mission Editor. I would think that you'd be able to include those items in the mission you create. As for rushing out the door? Remember the sim was due out months ago but was postponed. We all have the choice to plunk down money for the sim or not. Everyone knows that there is no perfect sim (and never will be). There's always something to criticize and being so negative before we have the sim seems kind of sad. Hang in there guys and take care. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might be right about this . But to criticize something that wasent garenteed by the dev team , Or something that was said to be allready implemented in the campaign allready are 2 different things aint it?

Messervy
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
I am just wondering what else is missing? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Mittelwaechter
03-14-2005, 12:11 PM
2.99 $ please ... great ... enjoy your meal.

... yes sir, the offer was a burger, fries and a coke, but the fries will be served tomorrow. Sorry for that.

... sure but if you'll wait until tomorrow you'll get the complete meal, sir.

... believe me, I do understand your anger, but maybe one of your friends may deliver an order of fries?

... yes sir, but did you recognize the fresh pickles on that burger? They are handcut and the foodtesters stated they are outstanding. And please remember sir, the coke is served with a straw...

Dominicrigg
03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
mmmm hamburgers and coke http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Well, since you took 10 extra minutes to make it a double whammy burger with cheese and all the dressings for no extra cost at all dont worry about the chips, ill get them next time im in.

Thanks!!

Lobolopez220
03-14-2005, 12:46 PM
In regards to the enemy ports it could just be that portsmouth is not one of the fully modelled ports. Check out the following link where a copy of the game map is posted:

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=59010161&f=469102863&m=7441038192

If you look carefully you can see several ports marked on there for the UK but Portsmouth isnt one of them maybe only the ports shown on the printed map actually have anti-sub nets/mines modelled in them so we have to wait and see http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Haze01
03-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Well I see it like this. First i get a kick from playing the game now, without all the goodies. THEN when the dev-team OR some modder fix the rest, I´ll get a new kick!!! Isn´t that great?? 2 highs for the price of one...

Always you, with your negative waves, man!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Grauwulf
03-14-2005, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lobolopez220:
In regards to the enemy ports it could just be that portsmouth is not one of the fully modelled ports. Check out the following link where a copy of the game map is posted:

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=59010161&f=469102863&m=7441038192

If you look carefully you can see several ports marked on there for the UK but Portsmouth isnt one of them maybe only the ports shown on the printed map actually have anti-sub nets/mines modelled in them so we have to wait and see http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the positive info! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

GropeForLuna
03-14-2005, 03:46 PM
IIRC, only a few of the major ports were going to be modelled with ships.

Yog_Shoggoth
03-14-2005, 05:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mittelwaechter:
2.99 $ please ... great ... enjoy your meal.

... yes sir, the offer was a burger, fries and a coke, but the fries will be served tomorrow. Sorry for that.

... sure but if you'll wait until tomorrow you'll get the complete meal, sir.

... believe me, I do understand your anger, but maybe one of your friends may deliver an order of fries?

... yes sir, but did you recognize the fresh pickles on that burger? They are handcut and the foodtesters stated they are outstanding. And please remember sir, the coke is served with a straw... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, but you can get a handburger anywhere. And if the handburger was good enough I wouldn't care. I'm more of a chicken finger guy, myself.

Charos
03-14-2005, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex:
To include ships in ports, patrol craft, mines, Anti-Sub nets, re-fuel and supply, Better radio messages from BDu _and_ music for the gramaphone.

Hmm that list is quite long isnt it, is it going to grow??...never mind ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree I smell a ADD-ON, where just rabid consumers caught in a marketing net there is no escape from.

erikkai66
03-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Geez! We can all agree we would have LOVED it if the devs had put the ships in ports and the nets plus mines in this version.

However, the DEVS had two options:

Release the game "as is" and patch it as soon as they can or...

DELAY the game.

I'd prefer to have a patch released later so I can start playing sooner.

For God's sake, it's not like the game is going to suck. BUT, for those who just love moaning, go boot up Silent Service since you'd rather not play SH3.

hauitsme
03-14-2005, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Messervy:
I am just wondering what else is missing? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here's a SHORT list:
Ships in ports
Port patrol craft
Mines
Anti-submarine nets
At-sea refueling and supply
Better radio messages from BDu
Music for the gramophone
Wolfpacks
FIDO torpedoes
Allied submarines
Lifeboats
Axis submarines

Carriers using A/C ???

Messervy
03-14-2005, 06:03 PM
This will require Patch (es) - plural! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

erikkai66
03-14-2005, 06:04 PM
So...

Why don't you put up a list of what's included?

It dwarfs the "not included" list.

hauitsme
03-14-2005, 06:09 PM
It's NOT the number of items that matters, it's the relevance of them.

Silencer_42
03-14-2005, 06:13 PM
It's becomming standard for UBI games to be released unfinished. I'm still waiting for the patch that makes Pacific Fighters the game that was promised. (It's still the best best flight sim around though.)

ssteen
03-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Er.. Lifeboats should be escused, they had a good reason to leave them out.

And I don't mind the "early" release. Allready the pushed the date 5 months to have a dynamic campain. You have rich shipping lanes wich will keep you mostly out at sea.

All the harbor patrols, nets, mines and sea activity (since harbor activity has been clearly demonstrated several times) aren't that important since it was still practicaly suicidal to go that near, and so can easely be ignored... for the time being.

Wolfpacks and BDU support. I would've enjoyed air cover if hunted near german ports and stuff like that. And for Wolfpacks, well, I only played SHI and II and never really tried Aces. So I am not in withdrawal without them, but I would love too see allies in action working with me. Although for the time being I'll just have to see the action in multiplayer, wich is a good start (and will probably make me want wolfpacks in singleplayer afterwards)

Those are the two main issues I have right now, BEFORE getting the game. Maybe afterwards I'll have more than I though allready and be quite satisfied, or maybe I'll feel the lack of those things. Who knows. Must wait for the week end and finally trully feel the game!

hauitsme
03-14-2005, 06:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssteen:
Er.. Lifeboats should be escused, they had a good reason to leave them out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What would that be?

ssteen
03-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Morale issue. They didn't want people to start shooting at lifeboats in the game, and so decided to omit them.

hauitsme
03-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Sorry, I'm laughing too hard to go through it all with you. You had better chase down the Lifeboat poll thread and read it through.

That answer doesn't wash.

HeibgesU999
03-14-2005, 10:08 PM
The fact that lifeboats have no tactical influence on the sim, is reason they are excused as pure eye candy. Just like shipping in ports.

You can't say you want realism, and then want to take a totally unrealistic Battlefield 1942 Arcade Adventure into New York Harbor and Portsmouth Harbor. This is a subsim not an arcade game.

Allowing you to sail to and from ports just encourages this dash around the ocean arcade mentality.

Transporting you to the patrol zone would have forced kept people from playin in this arcadish manner of going any where they want on the map.

If you want eyecandy go play Resident Evil 4.

necrobaron
03-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Am I the only one that thinks some of you are jumping the gun? IMO, because sub nets, mines, etc. aren't in the Portsmouth harbor doesn't necessarily mean these things have been omitted altogether. Perhaps Portsmouth was simply overlooked?

RedTerex
03-14-2005, 11:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
...The fact that lifeboats have no tactical influence on the sim, is reason they are excused as pure eye candy... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Niether does, Nurses on the Dockside and SeaGulls in the air...ALL incorporated within SH3. Hmm how does your post stand up to that I muse !

archer49d
03-15-2005, 07:00 AM
Wasn't it said before the original release date that we would have all those features (Live Harbors, nets, mines) in the NOV 2004 release. The game was only postponed to give a true Dynamic campaign, right?

HeibgesU999
03-15-2005, 07:38 AM
They gave us a little eyecandy. That's how I explained it.

They spent the rest of the time working on the dynamic campaign for the hardcore subsimmers.