PDA

View Full Version : When IWW simulator?

rosteoman
10-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Please! think how good can be a simulator of the IWW with all your experience and runing with the tecnology that you have. Flying with Fokers, Avros, watching the line of front and the nobodyes-land... and all of the maps...
Well, it's a dream for me.
I hope we have notices of "thinking about that" soon.
Thx!!

mrsiCkstar
10-14-2005, 03:21 AM
wasn't there some third party team already developing a WWI mod out of the IL2 engine?

ElAurens
10-14-2005, 05:43 AM
I think there is little to no interest in a Great War simulator at Maddox Games.

Simply too many information holes that cannot be plugged. (Little to no accurate FM info mostly).

And it has a very limited audience, even by flight sim standards, but I'd buy it if Oleg made one.

SUPERAEREO
10-14-2005, 05:52 AM
I would definitely buy it.

Even if it is made by someone else, as long as it is a serious effort toproduce a realistic WW1 sim.

S!

womenfly
10-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Look here: ThirdWire (http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1916)

http://www.thirdwire.net/images/wwi_11_11.jpg

3.JG51_BigBear
10-14-2005, 07:56 AM
A while back Oleg said he would put WWI planes in game if a certain number were modeled, I think it was ten. It seems that the time for that has come and gone though. A third party addon for CFS3 called Over Flanders Field should be done around Christmas time. It looks very promising.

JG53Frankyboy
10-14-2005, 01:34 PM
if maddox will make it realy possible, as he said, that with the BoB engine you will be able to ad selfmade planes with simplified flightmodell (without sending them to moskau) - it has a chance if there are enough 3.party modelers which will do the work............

ElAurens
10-14-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't want a "simplified" flight model. I want the real deal, and that will be the problem with anyones WW1 sim. There simply is no accurate data on these aircraft's flight characteristics.

vonStahlhelm
10-15-2005, 07:32 AM
since red baron 3d there was no good ww1 flightsim, an this game was from 1998. only some crappy arcade like games like wings of war.
why is il2 sooo mod unfriendly?? why are there no sdk`s or mapping tools? i look at games like operation flashpoint, bf1942 or others - this are good games and they are very modfriendly games. many good mods and addons coming out every month - and that means not that no one buys the offizial expansions made by the devs of the game.
a mod friendlygame is more worth than an mod unfriendly game!

csThor
10-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Disagree - mods are for games that were lacking from the start. To me Mods in a combat sim are a disgrace and generally harmful to the basic quality standards of the sim. "Mod-friendly" usually means that the developer and/or the publisher gave too little thought to the game's content and too much to a speedy release.

I prefer a closed system as it ensures a certain quality standard and should keep planes out of the sim which have no place (no map, no historical opponents or which just can't be used in historical missions due to map size or game orientation).

Ratsack
10-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by womenfly:
Look here: ThirdWire (http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1916)
[/IMG]

Doesn't seem to be a lot of news on this one. It looks like it's looking for a publisher, so it seems to be in limbo. This'd be a pity, because it looks like somebody's done a fair bit of work on it already.

Ratsack

Kuna15
10-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Any ww1 airsim would be good at this point, simply because that genre is in deficit.

I also doubt that OM is ever going to make us happy with his ww1 airsim.

vonStahlhelm
10-15-2005, 09:19 PM
@csThor: i dont think that mods are a "disgrace" and be harmful for an good simulation, because bad mods wont be played! the modders in combat simulation like OFP are highly interested to made their mods so accurate as possible, because they want to make their mod worth the download. if someone does his work bad he is a bad joke in this scene. ok, il2 is not OFP but when BoB comes on the market they can give the community the sdk`s and mapping tools for il2 so that it will be possible to make things like an ww1 mod for the old il2 engine or something else. what do you have to loose? reality aspects of an simulation? get a gun - shoot in your head - and hope you get a reincarnation as an fighter pilot in ww2! than you have "reality"! flightsims are games like others - only with the aspect that they are mostly played by adults and not like cs whats for the kids.
to the people who are whining every time when its come to an ww1 sim "oohh there are no data for an fm" - the web is full of it an there are many many existing AND flying rebuilds of ww1 birds. maybe the flightmodell will be a little bit inacurate and not the orginal like the old birds -who cares? did you ever fly an me109 in real combat?? so that you can say "oh no, a real
109 has not this behaviour like this in the game" - i think there are only a very few man alive who can say this! hey, its only a game. i dont mean that i want an arcade like game, thats the reason why i love the il2 series, its based on mostly real parameters and you have really to learn how to fly, fight and survive - but sometimes i think hardcoresimfans take it all to
serious!

csThor
10-15-2005, 10:49 PM
To bring my opinion about mods into a short sentence - Mods (in a flight sim) are a mostly done by private folks. If they want or not their own preconceptions and sometimes bias (even subconsciously through their choice of literature) will colour the mods. Few of us have access to 1st level data meaning pure data from archives and not the stuff published in books - and automatically the selection of data is limited - because the author of the books had to choose the data to publish (and so he made a preselection based on criteria none of us can crosscheck).

Please don't compare OFP to a flight sim, since OFP had to simplify the physics engine (fly a helo there and you'll notice) to get Infantry, Tanks, Helos and Planes in it.

misha3791
10-15-2005, 11:21 PM
I say we should go to Korea, that would be a real chalange. Maybe even puting some chopers in would be cool.

SUPERAEREO
10-16-2005, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
I don't want a "simplified" flight model. I want the real deal, and that will be the problem with anyones WW1 sim. There simply is no accurate data on these aircraft's flight characteristics.

Don't you think it is possible to replicate a flight model using a virtual reproduction of an aircraft and an adequate set of calculations?
It is what X-Plane was/is all about after all.
Surely we can never attain 100% accuracy, but that is true of any sim at present.

S!

vonStahlhelm
10-16-2005, 08:39 AM
@csThor:lol, yes thats right,ofp's flightmodells and flightphysics are horrible and for me they are
secondary for gameplay because i only love the pure infantery aspects of the game. und ich wei√ü das der vergleich zwischen ofp und il2 ist als wollte man √¬§pfel mit birnen vergleichen. but what i mean is that to play a good made ww1 mod, based on il2-engine, even if has a little inacuracy in the fm - that will be better than nothing and better as this arcadebull**** like "wings of war" an ohter games of this category.
in the last years there where some releases of cheap and crappy ww1-arcadesims instead of a real sim. that breaks my heart!;-)
i think every mod made by real fans will be bether than any of this games. but the best will
be a historical accurate and so authentic as its possible ww1 flightsimulation made by maddox games.they have the potential and i think there
are many people who want buying it. these old birds have something very special, very romantic
and thats one reason why there is an active Red baron scene an people who play and modifie this old game. i think that i will be also an commercial success like the il2 series! that will be much better than any mod! but if thats not happend modding maybe is not the best alternative but somekind of "notl√¬∂sung" that will be better than nothing and better than playing good ol red baron for another 4 years!

csThor
10-16-2005, 10:54 AM
I've been burned by "mods" when I was flying EAW. In the end you needed ten times the time to search and check mods than you had for flying. It killed EAW for me ...

Doug_Thompson
10-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't you think it is possible to replicate a flight model using a virtual reproduction of an aircraft and an adequate set of calculations?
It is what X-Plane was/is all about after all.
Surely we can never attain 100% accuracy, but that is true of any sim at present.

Agreed. Red Baron 3D was a good sim for its time, but some of the flight moddeling was clearly off. You could hold a turn with your wings straight up and straight down for what seemed like forever. Those things are obvious and can be fixed.

The biggest challenge for a realistic WWI sim is that most players used to having 1,200+ Horse Power engines would stall and crash all the time.

RAF_Loke
10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Go here Over Flanders Fields (http://off.oldbrowndog.net/), and don't say it's puke CFS3 because only thing it has common with CFS3 is the exe file.

Little to no accurate FM info mostly.
There has been written a lot of books and articles about it, also by WW1 pilots. And several real replicas have been made.

And it has a very limited audience, even by flight sim standards.

Can't agree there, as there are still many Red Baron 3D Squadrons out there, just waiting for a new and better WW1 sims.

Sturm_Williger
10-19-2005, 06:18 AM
Yep, I love IL2, but still need a bib at the thought of a decent WWI sim. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif