PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - 1st Patrol really sucked

simon_uplay
05-06-2005, 10:27 PM
in Sept 1939...

In a type IIA (so 3+2 torps). After not finding anything in the assigned area, I went North of Ireland to try and get some. Encountered and sunk a small cargo vessle off the west coast of England (two good torps, 1 hit square in the rudder). Following that, I wasted two torps trying to get a destroyer. So 1 torp left. Cruised a bit south and encountered a tug boat. Since I had 1 torp left, I decided I'd screwed up with the torps already, so I'll just get this one with the one I have left and go home. So I line up and wait for a few minutes (about 30). Dud. The friggin thing bounced off the hull.

Sure, if I had sunk something other than a Small Cargo I wouldn't feel so bad, and if I had more than just 5 torps I wouldn't feel so bad, if I hadn't travelled so far I wouldn't feel so bad, but I didn't. So I have a question for people who have played farther than this: is this normal, or do I #### at this game?

I come home, and whaddya know, I'm still stuck with the IIA. Off to waste more torps. I hope patrols get longer after this.

quillan
05-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, that is normal for some people, and not for others. If you're an experienced player of sub games, then that would be bad. If you're new to the genre, that's not really terrible at all. You've only got 5 torps, and you sank 1 ship with it. My first time out, I only sank 3 ships with 14 torpedoes, so it's about the same average.

Keep playing, and you'll get better. Read some of the threads here and some other sites like www.subsim.com (http://www.subsim.com) , and you'll pick up hints and pointers. Save your renown, and pretty soon you'll be able to upgrade that boat to a VIIB. Just so you know, it won't happen automatically. You've got to save up renown and spend it for upgrades. A VIIB will cost 3000.

simon_uplay
05-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Well, I'm sure your tonnage ratio was a lot better. I got 2410, which really is tiny.

Thanks for the advice. This game is too good to keep screwing up on.

Pr0metheus 1962
05-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Heck, I've been playing for a month, and I just finished a patrol where I used 13 torpedoes on two convoys, only got one hit, and only got 2000 tons for it. And I'm a veteran of about 6 different sub games. So don't feel bad.

U-49
05-06-2005, 11:12 PM
As others have suggested, just keep pluggin' away. Practice makes perfect -- well not in my case. I'm on the second patrol with my new boat, an IXB. I've been on patrol almost two months and have had little success. This shall likely be me worst patrol to date. Sometimes the weather just refuses to cooperate, Lady Luck shuns you and things just generally don't go your way.

The beauty of this sim is that even with an utterly miserable patrol like mine -- I'm still enjoying the experience that is SH3.

Good hunting!

Desslock
05-07-2005, 07:54 AM
the problem is that the type II is a coastal sub...you'll have more fun with VII (go to flotilla 7!!) and IX, with some deck gun shooting as a bonus

Bergman
05-07-2005, 08:05 AM
And otherwise save before you start your attack. If the attack failed reload and do it over. In this way you can see what is the best way to attack and what you are doing wrong in a short time.

Praetorian_Elite
05-07-2005, 08:45 PM
My first patrol, I used the same sub you did and I only sunk one ship.

My total tonnage was 6395.

alanschu
05-08-2005, 03:14 AM
My first patrol I sunk a destroyer with a lucky shot and that was it.

I came back with only 1300 tons. You'll get the hang of firing torpedoes and scoring nice hits in no time. Just keep at 'er.

V-MAN1981
05-08-2005, 04:22 AM
If you manage to get 3 ships with that type II then that's a successful patrol tbh. Get rid of that type IIA asap the range on it is stupid, it's just enough to get to the patrol grid patrol it then come home. Upgrade to the type IID then you can go munge around after you have done your assigned patrol. Look along the English east coast there's usually C2 cargos about.