PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD combo drive no longer reads cds!!!

nvrsummer2
04-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I have noticed after installing this game that my Memorex 16x dual layer dvd/cd +- RW drive no longer reads cds at all. I never had a problem before this game. Is this a common starforce problem....If it is starforce is a piece of ****. And ill never buy a game with this again. I have a top of the line dvd drive and the publisher of this game has the balls to tell it it cant function properly. I have even used a starforce cleaner to no avail. Maybe its not for the same version.

Antrodemus
04-12-2005, 08:06 AM
I don't suppose you're willing to accept that maybe... just maybe... the drive has simply failed?

A.

Tyke909
04-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Unlikely the drive has failed. CD's require considerably less accuracy from the drive to read than DVD's do.
If the drive was failing it would stop reading DVD's way before CD.

msxyz
04-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Try attaching it to another computer and see if it works again. Best way to see if it's a operating system related problem.

eddie_wood
04-12-2005, 09:00 AM
If you have a bootable CD, for example Windows XP, then try booting the machine using that. If it doesn't boot, your drive is broken.

wingtip59
04-12-2005, 09:04 AM
my sony dvd would read the disc and install it but couldnt read the dam thing to verify the key code... all i ended up having to do is open "power dvd" , a program u can purchase, and once open it has different codecs that allow my dvd rom to them be able to read the disc and i can play, i have to open power dvd each time i wanna run the game.... it sucks but better than the alternative of not playing or buying a new dvd rom... (which by the way this one is only a few months old)

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:
I don't suppose you're willing to accept that maybe... just maybe... the drive has simply failed?

A. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont suppose that its a coincidence that my drive "failed" after installing a game that clearly messes with dvd drives??!!! When they release these patches does it also update starforce or does that stay in its piece of **** state??

Antrodemus
04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...that clearly messes with dvd drives??!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if I ever felt like helping your situation, the impetus has faded, since you appear to favour spouting rubbish instead of engaging in constructive dialogue. Good luck!

A.

The_Third_Half
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Try reinstalling a new ASPI layer for it.

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:

A. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh this is is constructive dialog huh....^^

Anyway...the game states on the box "that it may conflict with some dvd/cd and virtual drives." But break them?? I have removed starforce with starforce cleaner. But my cd function still does not work...This needs to be undone at least...I can do without this game but my drive is almost brand new.

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Third_Half:
Try reinstalling a new ASPI layer for it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How would I do this??

The_Third_Half
04-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Just do a Google search for " aspi layers"
you'll get several hits, of course find a site that has what you need , I.E. correct operating system, etc...
I suggest 1 that does a self-installation if you've not tinkered with this before. I will state there is a chance to damage the drive if you install the wrong types and such. As they tell the drive how to function. I could be wrong but the copy protection disables verious functions, and when you removed it, it sounds like a setting was not returned to the orignial preference. Thus disabling the CD aspect of the combo drive.
Hope this helps. I've always hated this type of copy protection, CD_illa by macrovision is 1 of the worst imo. Thnx microsoft for piggybacking it on everything you publish.

Night_Crawler
04-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Give your computer 5 minutes(when you just came in Windows XP).Windows XP Explorer will detect your dvd/cd combo after 5 minutes, and you can play, i have the same problem, i place my Silence Hunter III, and he was flashing with his ledlight for almost 5 minutes and the computer froze.

than i found out about the 5 minutes... it works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

eddie_wood
04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nvrsummer2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Third_Half:
Try reinstalling a new ASPI layer for it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How would I do this?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before doing anything drastic with ASPI and reinstalling things, go one step at a time. First establish if it is a Windows problem or a hardware problem.

I'll say again, have you a bootable CD such as a recovery CD for your PC or a bootable Windows CD? Can you boot the machine using this CD???????????????????

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Night_Crawler:
Give your computer 5 minutes(when you just came in Windows XP).Windows XP Explorer will detect your dvd/cd combo after 5 minutes, and you can play, i have the same problem, i place my Silence Hunter III, and he was flashing with his ledlight for almost 5 minutes and the computer froze.

than i found out about the 5 minutes... it works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks night crawler, But my dvd part of the same drive works fine still...just doesnt read the cds. Im still trying the reinstall of the aspi layer thing. but its confusing me a little.

The_third_half....How bout this??
http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm

nvrsummer2
04-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah I tried it...Didnt boot from it.

eddie_wood
04-13-2005, 03:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nvrsummer2:
Yeah I tried it...Didnt boot from it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this in reply to my suggestion? Just to clarify.

Your BIOS is configured to boot from CD, you have inserted a bootable CD, switched off the PC, switched on the PC, then hit the space bar when prompted to boot from the CD?

Is this what you did and is this what you mean by "didnt boot from it"?

If it failed to boot, either the CD is not bootable or your hardware may be faulty. This process cannot be affected by SF because Windows isn't started when booting from a CD.

Bubblehead1948
04-13-2005, 07:48 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I am at least the second to confirm this phenomenon. Its real. My situation is almost identical to nvrsummer2. I had bought a new dvd-rom/cd-rw combo. All is well with the dvd portion of the drive. After reading these posts I decided to check to see if the cd capabilities still functioned. They were now sorely limited. Basically, most popular cd games that required a disc in residence could no longer be played. Worse, I was locked out of every cd-rw archive disc I had ever made containing hundreds of dollars worth of paid software. Not funny. Even when I applied the starforce removal tool, the problem remained.
Bottom line: My 50.00 dvd-rom/cd-rw combo had been effectively reduced to a dvd-rom.
To be intellectualy honest, I don't know to this moment if the firmware has been damaged, I only know It will no longer function as a cd-rom or cd-rw in this environment.

The solution: I fortunately had a 52/32/52 cd-rw sitting on the shelf. I put this back in, alongside the (now) dvd-rom and my cd-rw capabilities have returned via the second drive.

I'm really kind of worn out. I've had less trouble getting rid of a vicious trojan. But there it is.

Clearly, not everyone will have this problem, but I suspect that a significant number will.

As a precaution, I suggest everyone that has not done so, review your cd/rw capabilities if you have a combo drive to make sure everything is still working to your satisfaction. You may be surprised.

Slingn
04-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I burned a mp3 cd for my car last night. Seemed to work just fine. Took about 5 min to burn 650meg. That seems about normal I guess.

I have a lite-on dvd+rw/cdrw drive combo drive. It is older(about 2 years) and I think its only a 4X dvd burner.(i know it takes ~30 min to burn a movie to dvd). I rreally dont have a clue what the cd-rw speeds are.

The_Third_Half
04-13-2005, 08:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Night_Crawler:

than i found out about the 5 minutes... it works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks night crawler, But my dvd part of the same drive works fine still...just doesnt read the cds. Im still trying the reinstall of the aspi layer thing. but its confusing me a little.

The_third_half....How bout this??
http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well honestly, i don't know anything about your computer set up. But that would appear to be what you need.

malkuth
04-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Well all you have to do is see if another DVD will play in drive. If it doesnt DVD=Dead. If it does then guess SHIII doenst like your drive.