PDA

View Full Version : Dive Bombing

duckhunter315
03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I've had the game for a good period of time, and have chalked up my fair share of kills, online and off. I am a competent pilot, but Dive Bombing (SBD-2) is giving me fits!

slo_1_2_3
03-19-2006, 02:16 PM
cause your flying something we dont have

duckhunter315
03-19-2006, 02:40 PM
huh?

slo_1_2_3
03-19-2006, 02:52 PM
We dont have an sbd-2 we have sbd-3 and sbd-5

duckhunter315
03-19-2006, 02:53 PM
oh i gotcha

i just figured that one out

but i still am foobar

Zeus-cat
03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Play my Straight Down campaign. The first mission is a practice mission.

duckhunter315
03-19-2006, 03:07 PM
1. will it run on PF standalone, patched up?

2. how do i get it into the game where i can play it?

Zeus-cat
03-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I tested it and it will run on a standalone install.

Place the Straight_Down folder in your Missions/Campaign/UN folder.

Start the game and go to the Pilot Career screen and select Straight Down from the careers for a US Navy pilot.

zoinks_
03-19-2006, 04:45 PM
trimming my plane for the trip down helps. i also try to apply air brake right before i roll and dive. to be more exact, i trim going down and try to use as little stick and rudder as possible. then i neutral all trim at pull-out and fly like the wind...kind of.

VW-IceFire
03-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by duckhunter315:
I've had the game for a good period of time, and have chalked up my fair share of kills, online and off. I am a competent pilot, but Dive Bombing (SBD-2) is giving me fits!
Whats the problem exactly?

You fly over the target...spot it...engage the dive flaps/breaks, point the nose down, throttle back...go for whatever angle your comfortable with (a good 70 to 80 degree angle is fine with me). Hold the dive until your maybe 600 meters out, release bombs, pull back and level out...dive flaps retracted. Boom!

HotelBushranger
03-20-2006, 03:54 AM
If you can't get dive bombing, level bombings a gona straight away http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BSS_Goat
03-22-2006, 05:35 AM
read here
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/pf_divebombing.htm

NO RUDDER!

JTFM
03-24-2006, 07:33 AM
That link stresses not to move the crosshairs with the rudder, which is valid advice.

However, during the dive you need to use rudder to center the ball in the turn and bank indicator. That's Divebombing 101. Otherwise, even if the crosshairs are on the target your bombs will not fall where you are aiming--they'll be off to one side or the other, depending which way the ball is out of its cage.

Admittedly, this is not much of a problem in-sim when you are attacking ground targets, as the blast wave usually wipes out anything near the impact point. Against shipping, however, it usually means a miss.

To center the ball:

If it is out of the cage ("cage" refers to the two vertical lines at the lowest point of the turn and bank inclinometer, between which the ball rests when the plane is coordinated;, i.e, flown without slipping or skidding) to the left, use left rudder.

If it is out of the cage to the right, use right rudder to center it.

Remember this for corrections: "Step on the ball".

Of course, using rudder is going to rotate the plane about its vertical access and give one of the wings more lift. Therefore, be prepared to add a touch of opposite aileron to prevent roll.

PM me and I'll send you a track to help you out. And, above all, practice.

Crash_Moses
03-24-2006, 10:03 AM
And don't forget to zero your trim!

I use quite a bit of rudder trim on the climb out to counteract torque (especially in that wonderful beast the Dauntless) and was having a heck of a time until I started zeroing my trim before the dive.

My accuracy increased greatly after that.

(And Zeus-cat...Straight Down rocks!)

VPF_Jetdoc
03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
For the SBD's I like to start my attack from 10,000 feet dive brakes open
reduce throttle to idle
line up your target in your sight
for Aircraft Carriers like to
aim just forward of the Bridge and let it
go at 2000 ft then pull and get out of there
it takes 4 1600 pounders to send one to the bottom if your wingman hit the same spot
it is over