PDA

View Full Version : Where did the "cleared for takeoff" message go?

Moustacheo
07-18-2005, 04:52 AM
Hey there, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Il-2:FB. I bought FB recently after borrowing the orignal Il-2 from a friend a while ago. Unless it was just my imagination, I do seem to remember being told something like "you are cleared for takeoff" when on the runway, so you know not to turn the plane in front of you into burning metal. So where the buggery did it go? I love all the additions that FB has, but I want to gradually turn all the realism options on but I can't if I don't know when to take off without using the outside view. Have I missed an option somewhere to turn this message on?

I can take off fine usually once i know when to go, so hopefully once I can sort this out you might see me online!

-HH- Beebop
07-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Welcome Moustacheo

FB is completely different in most respects from the original IL-2 Sturmovik.

If you just got Forgotten Battles you owe it to yourself to get the Aces Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters and make it a merged install. then patch up to the current version 4.01.
Look here for more info on patching:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4871047252

In this current build you can ask for takeoff clearance and the "tower" will let you know when your clear to go.

Welcome to the forums and your new addiction.

vocatx
07-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Off-line you can use the "tab" key to bring up a menu for radio communications. On-line is a whole new ballgame. Transitioning to on-line competition against real human opponents is much more challenging than flying against even the ace AI off line.

A trick I use if I'm not sure if I'm clear for takeoff...turn your aircraft to one side so you can look ahead.

WWSensei
07-18-2005, 07:44 AM
I think it was your imagination. IL2 has never had a Cleared For Takeoff message or tower clearance message until, I believe Pacific Fighters...and then only added as a request to tower in offline mode (and maybe COOP but I'm not positive on that.).

It was added due to me and hundreds of others complaining about it being missing in earlier versions.

Moustacheo
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. Hmmm, I must have been thinking of CFS3 or something then. I have already ordered the expansion pack from Amazon but it's out of stock so it should arrive in about a month. As for Pacific Fighters, I think I'll order that tonight. For only 10, it's not a bad deal!

vocatx
07-18-2005, 11:22 AM
If you do the merged install, you will not be disappointed. You will have a 5 CD multi-front combat flight sim that is second to none at this time (until Oleg comes out with BoB).

When I get my new system built, I am thinking of doing a stand-alone PF as well as the complete merged. There are a few servers for the stand-alone only, but most people run the full merged version.

If you have been using CFS 3, you won't go back to it after you get used to FB/AEP/PF. I unstalled CFS 3 after having the merged install for less than a week.

bird_brain
07-18-2005, 02:04 PM
To turn & look in front of you before takeoff, hold the brakes, kick in full right (or left) rudder and run the power up. You can turn just until you see the plane in front of you without moving forward much at all. When he takes off, Do the reverse to straighten out and let 'er roll. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Moustacheo
07-18-2005, 02:16 PM
I've ordered PF just now, but now i have to wait a month until I can merge them. Argghh!

I don't have CFS 3 anymore, I sold it ages ago. the way the campaigns worked on it was so annoying, when choosing the missions myself I could take down huge amounts of enemy fighters but to no improvement to the frontline. When I took the missions the computer advised, it improved the frontline but I spent pretty much the whole war bombing ships. Bah...

Enforcer572005
07-18-2005, 05:40 PM
I think you can still get FB Gold, which has AEP included (but dont forget to install the aep disk which is sort of hidden in there...several of us have done that). It has aep patched up to 3.04, and then you can get the 4.01 patch after you merge PF. I think FB gold is pretty cheap these days to. You wont recognize it from the original FB.

Come toward the light....get it all, merge it, come toward the light......