PDA

View Full Version : 1st mission with RuB 1.43

stljeffbb
08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Hello everyone....

I typically don't share mission exploits, but....

Do my first patrol in September 39 in Type IIA...head to AN81 and have zero map contacts (game simulation of RDF and radioed reports from BdU)...this is good!

Whilst in AN81, I pick up a faint hydrophone signal and chase after it...my little IIA can hardly keep up with it, and seas are choppy to boot (no pun intended...well maybe).

At first, I don't recognize the paint scheme and think its a C3, but it was a UK C2 heading towards the Netherlands...finally, only about 15km from land and heading east, I decide to throw a desperation salvo....I'm directly behind the C2 at about 1500m, and it hasn't spotted me...I launch 3 G7a torps set to 1 foot under keel depth (magnetic detonation) and manage to get all three to hit under the propulsion area...

...so, the C2 is dead in the water...I have to wait about 15 game minutes for the next torp..I fire midship with magnetic, and it hits the mark...the ship sinks a little, but still afloat....15 game minutes later, and after a false alarm of a "Warship spotted" that never materialized, I launch my last torp, set to 5m to make sure it hits, and it does....now before this time, no fires, but now a small one starts, and I see "She's going down!"...but she's not!

Now it gets interesting...I sat around for about eight game hours, watching the C2 sink ever so slowly, when I hear "Ship spotted" (auf Deutsch of course...I leave the English subtitles on)...here comes what I think might be a Dutch tug or trawler, but it just gets bigger and bigger...its moving fast too, and it sets a collision course right for me! I put it in reverse, and this ship turns out to be one of the new large merchants...17,000 plus tons, flying the Union Jack!!!! And I'm out of torps!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Of course, the game doesn't know any better, and the large merchant does not stop to pick up survivors from the C2, instead merrily zigging and zagging out of view...and still the C2 did not sink...I finally gave up and left the area about 13 game hours after I "sunk" it...I did get credit for the kill, and the smokestack was barren, indicating that the boilers were out...but it was a little different...and fun!

-Jeff

Desslock
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
?? what are those new merchants???? a new class or c3 with a bigger tonnage????? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

stljeffbb
08-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi Desslock....

Yeah, I would not have known about them if I hadn't gone backwards in the Merchant recognition book! I guesstimate they are about as large as the C2, but they kind of remind of "Q" ships in how they look.

I remember their tonnage as 17,000+, and although I can't remember how fast they can go, this one was hauling @## right towards me! However, it crossed my bow, and if I had any more fish, she would have been a fairly easy target (silly AI!)...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

-Jeff