PDA

View Full Version : Best Machine For IL2

MisterMark
10-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Looks like I'm gonna be in the market for a new machine. I'd like to rig this thing to get the best performance for IL2. I'm thinking Intel and dual SLI, and single monitor but other than that I'm sort of at a loss. I've heard people say quad core won't help in IL2 and others say 4gig of ram won't help under XP. Can someone make some recommendations and clarify?

Thanks,

Mark

Swivet
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Well i cant talk for others with better rigs than me, but i'm using an older P4 processor with an Radeon x1600 and 2 gigs of ram. I dont have perfect settings, so i dont get that nice water. But the games FPS are fine, everything else is on high. iI think it really boils down to video and what you got running in the background. Whatever you build it's gotta be better that what i'm running http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Sirrith
10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Quad core will give you better performance than a dual core at the same speed, but for the price, you can get a faster dual core, which will outperform the slower quad core. That being said, if you plan on playing other games, some perform better with quad cores, and the upcoming far cry 2 is supposedly going to give about 30% better performance with quad cores compared to equivalent dual cores.

How long do you want this new build to last? If you're planning for a few years, I'd say either get a quad core (the new AMD phenom x4 9950 BE seems pretty nice, or you could just go for intel since you seem to prefer them, I know I do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), or wait for intel's i7 nehalem if you think you'll have the money for that.

As for the video cards, You could get the "new" gtx 260 core 216 (extra shaders), thats almost on par with the gtx 280, and not outrageously priced. Then you could always SLI them in the future (or now if you have the money).

32 bit OS's will not be able to recognise 4GB of RAM. You need a 64 bit OS for that. If you put in 4 GB of RAM, your 32 bit OS will only show around 3-3.5gb (IIRC).

steiner562
10-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Sli isnt worth it at the moment considering one 4870 almost out performs the 260 and in some cases does,and a lot better price,I'd nearly be tempted to crossfire at this moment and time to be honest,of course I'm basing my case on prices I saw nearly two months ago,there was a $100 difference in favour of the 4870,Nvidia may have slashed the price of the 260 to make it a more favourable option by now.

Buzzsaw-
10-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Salute

Oleg says he'll be releasing his required Specs for "STORM OF WAR, Battle of Britain" in May of '09.

If you really want to be sure you have something which can run BoB, you might want to wait till then. Otherwise, you might need to buy a new setup when BoB comes out. (which is supposed to be late summer/early fall '09)

I suspect we will need a hefty quad core and a nasty video card to get optimum performance.

Sirrith
10-14-2008, 02:22 PM
The gtx 260 core 216 and the HD 4870 are now around the same price, ~$250-300, and the 260 outperforms the 4870 in most games. (note I'm talking about the gtx 260 core 216, not the plain "old" gtx 260.)

TheFamilyMan
10-14-2008, 02:33 PM
If all you are really only interested in is IL-2, a fast dual-core like the E8600 will be the best IL-2 performance for the money. IL-2 does not directly benefit from more than 1 cpu/core, though things like teamspeak, trackIR and hotas/petal controllers won't steal (as many) cpu cycles from IL-2 as they would in a single core system; quad core is pretty much overkill for IL-2. 2G RAM (2x1G) is just fine for IL-2 under XP, anything more is also overkill. As for SLI, did you really mean 'dual SLI' as in 4 graphics cards? With the current crop of $200 to $300US graphic cards, IL-2 will not really benefit from SLI unless you want to drive resolutions of 1920x1200 or more.

If you are looking beyond IL-2, then the above is probably irrelevant.

MisterMark
10-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry I meant SLI (two cards total). Currently I am running IL2 on a laptop with pretty decent specs:

Intel Core2 T7200 2ghz and 2 gigs of ram with XP.

I get alright performance, but I get short pauses during some radio chatter and some graphic details. I figure it's due to the limited video and sound in the laptop.

I would hope that if I went with a more current machine in a desktop format I could get killer performance on IL2 and not have the pauses.

I really just want to be able to play IL2 with max setting and lots of action with the best performance possible (isn't that what we all want?)

So are you guys saying don't bother with an SLI graphics set up?

As far as how long a new machine will last me, I'd say 2 years or so. I am really just into IL2. BoB is a possibility.

Thoughts?

Mark

Sirrith
10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Ah, well if you're really just into IL2, then it'll cost you much less http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What resolution do you play at?

A 9600GT or 8800GT (or 9800gtx+, since thats gone down in price) would be ample to play at up to 1680x1050, with an E8400 CPU with full settings. I run my il2 with 16xAF and 16x MSAA smoothly, no stuttering at all at 1680x1050 on a single 8800gt.

julian265
10-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Re dual/quad core - download prioaff.exe, read the instructions relevant to IL2 (great write-up here: http://il2.netteq.com/guides/multicore/multicore.html )
Then set it such that IL2 will use core 1, and everything else core 0.

BTW crysis benefits having both cores assigned to it, and stuttered when I assigned it to only one.

If it's just IL2 you want to play for now, like Sirrith I suggest you build a cheap system (which will run full graphical settings easily), and build another when BOB comes out in 1-2 years.

I have an E8400, 2 gig of ram, and a 4870 and get no pauses on full settings. The only frame rate drop that I've noticed so far happened when I purposefully unloaded hundreds of 108 rounds into the ground in front of me.

If you want to get away cheaply and build again for BoB, I'd suggest: E8400 (or 8500 if it's only $10 more), a low-mid range MB, 2 gig of ram, and a 4850. I have read that ram speeds above 667 make minimal differences, and certainly can't pick the difference between 800 and 1066 on my machine.

If you want to overclock your processor you'll need a slightly more decent MB. (and make sure you get an E0 stepping processor, not C0 - they OC much better, with lower voltages)

Xiolablu3
10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Swivet:
Well i cant talk for others with better rigs than me, but i'm using an older P4 processor with an Radeon x1600 and 2 gigs of ram. I dont have perfect settings, so i dont get that nice water. But the games FPS are fine, everything else is on high. iI think it really boils down to video and what you got running in the background. Whatever you build it's gotta be better that what i'm running http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Mate you can still get the nice water even without perfect settings.

Just add change hardwareshaders to 1 in the opengl part of your conf.ini.

SHould run fine, the 1600 has a good pixel shader, and as the card does all the work for the nice water in hardware, not the cpu, it shouldnt lower your frames.

TheFamilyMan
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
BTW, I was wrong with my thinking on 'dual SLI'; nowadays it's 'dual SLI', 'tri SLI' and 'quad SLI'. In my day (only 3 years ago http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) it was only SLI.

Bearcat99
10-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey Swiv.. I like the lightning.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Frenchie_334th
10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by MisterMark:
Looks like I'm gonna be in the market for a new machine. I'd like to rig this thing to get the best performance for IL2. I'm thinking Intel and dual SLI, and single monitor but other than that I'm sort of at a loss. I've heard people say quad core won't help in IL2 and others say 4gig of ram won't help under XP. Can someone make some recommendations and clarify?
Thanks,

Mark

If I was you....I would build your own and you can always upgrade l8r (add more ram, vid card)

I've made the mistake of buying HP....although touch wood it's been a great system (I run 100+ fps in perfect on most maps) and I've maxed it to it's limits. But next year I'll build a gaming cpu when BOB comes out.

Maybe by mid next year we'll be in the 8 cores http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Do your homework and I hope you get the machine you wanted!

WTE_Galway
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
i7 nehalem

be sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swivet:

SHould run fine, the 1600 has a good pixel shader, and as the card does all the work for the nice water in hardware, not the cpu, it shouldnt lower your frames. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardwareshaders=1 IS perfect mode.....

Darth_Reagan
10-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure anything takes proper advantage of quad core processors yet does it? There's only a few programs so far that even use dual core properly.

Sirrith
10-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swivet:

SHould run fine, the 1600 has a good pixel shader, and as the card does all the work for the nice water in hardware, not the cpu, it shouldnt lower your frames. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardwareshaders=1 IS perfect mode..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well... I set my hardwareshaders=1 a few days ago because I forgot to do it earlier for this comp, and didn't change any other settings at all, but the water did change from dull, flat, blue thing to water http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@darth reagan: far cry 2 is meant to give ~30% better performance with quad core compared to dual cores, but then again, its not out until the 24th :P.

Xiolablu3
10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Hardwareshaders=1 IS perfect mode..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure?

I am quite sure that all hardwareshaders- 1 does is adds pixel shader effects to the water if your card supports them. (water- 1, 2,3,4).

I am pretty certain as Sirrith says above, that you can still have all the other effects on low, medium or excellent, but nice water by using hardwareshaders-1.

(I could be wrong tho).

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
When setting landscape to perfect in the ingame settings menu you can still leave lighting and other things at lower settings, all perfect landscape mode does when selected ingame is set hardwareshaders=1.

FoolTrottel
10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
In other words: Yes, he is sure.

So am I. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Xiolablu3
10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Rgr that guys, sorry for wrong info.

WTE_Ibis
10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I have a problem when I switch to perfect, my screen freezes after approx.2/3 minutes.
Card is FXF8800GT Alpa Dog edition.
Anyone with any suggestions as to whether the card is faulty or if the problem lies elsewhere.
I didn't have this problem with 7600GT but frames were poor on a 24" monitor.
thanks.