PDA

View Full Version : Changing Controls?

Hocking
04-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I have just finished defining several keys that are "User Defined" functions in the "Controls" area of the game. Now, some of the keys that I have defined do not work.

For instance, I assigned the NumPad keys to operate my Prop Pitch. It seems to work fine, except for the Auto-Prop feature which I assigned to [Shift-NP.].

Furthermore,

I assigned the regular number keys to operate my fuel mixture. None of those assignments work at all. I assigned [X] to operate my fire extenguisher. Doesnt work at all.

What am I doing wrong. I make the change, and then click apply. About 3/4 of the keys work, but the other 1/4 do not.

kalaluth
04-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Some plane are not equipped with mixture setting, and few planes with fire fighting systems! So perheaps, your user defined key are working, but you have to change the plane for checking it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hocking
04-08-2006, 03:27 PM
I wondered if that was the problem. I tried the mixture settings on a P-40, P-57, and BF-109. I was nearly certain that at least one of those planes had this feature. I also read in a Aircraft summary that you should adjust the fuel mixture at higher altitudes when flying the P-40's, so I am guessing that this plane should offer this feature.

mortoma
04-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Hocking:
I wondered if that was the problem. I tried the mixture settings on a P-40, P-57, and BF-109. I was nearly certain that at least one of those planes had this feature. I also read in a Aircraft summary that you should adjust the fuel mixture at higher altitudes when flying the P-40's, so I am guessing that this plane should offer this feature. I can't seem to adjust the mixture in that dadblasted P-57 either http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hocking
04-08-2006, 10:27 PM
I also noticed that the P-40 has the lever for adjusting fuel mixture next to the throttle, so it should work in the P-40.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

dbillo
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Maybe you have to switch on "Complex Engine Management" in your difficulty settings before those things will work.

joeap
04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
No mixture in any of the planes you mentioned...P-57 either. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Nor fire extinguisher.

Tully__
04-09-2006, 04:56 PM
To summarize:

The "Complex Engine Management" difficulty setting must be on for any of the mentioned controls to work.

Some aircraft don't have an "Auto" setting for prop pitch. Most of the Bf109 variant do so you should use that to test the prop pitch control.

Some aircraft have no manual mixture control and some have only two settings, 100% (corresponds to "auto" in the real aircraft) and 120% (corresponds to "auto rich" in the real aircraft).

Apart from one Japanese fighter, only a small number of the multi engine aircraft have fire extinguishers and they only work for engine fires. Try a B-25, IIRC they have it.

Hocking
04-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I flew a Japanese Zero today, and I noticed that my fuel mixture keys are working. I guess everything is set up ok.

I was really thrown for a loop on this one because I read ND's Aircraft Reference PDF file that I downloaded and he recommended adjusting the fuel mixture on the P-40's when at higher altitudes. I also noticed that there is a lever inside of the P-40's that appears to have different fuel mixtures listed on (Full-Rich, ect...). So, I naturally thought you could make this adjustment on the P-40's.

Thanks for the help.

Ritter_Cuda
04-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Hocking:
I flew a Japanese Zero today, and I noticed that my fuel mixture keys are working. I guess everything is set up ok.

I was really thrown for a loop on this one because I read ND's Aircraft Reference PDF file that I downloaded and he recommended adjusting the fuel mixture on the P-40's when at higher altitudes. I also noticed that there is a lever inside of the P-40's that appears to have different fuel mixtures listed on (Full-Rich, ect...). So, I naturally thought you could make this adjustment on the P-40's.

Thanks for the help.
Ya you have to check out each plane the P-38 have a mixture lever also . but no mixture controls it's automatic. also you can play with the Prop pitch but the auto/manul button does not work . PP100% = auto for the 38 so each plane is differnt and not all the controls are the same

horseback
04-10-2006, 01:34 PM
From your description, I get the impression that you only have the one pilot (John "Mad" Doe) listed on your system, with one corresponding Control Menu.

I have about 8 or so charactors listed; two German, two Russian, two single engine American and one twin engine (P-38 driver) Yank, as well as a couple of all purpose types. Each has a distinct Control Menu set for him, according to what he flies and at what point in the war his campaign is currently at.

For example, if I'm flying a LW fighter campaign, I don't need rudder or aileron trim, prop pitch (I'm flying a realistic campaign, not a game-exploit campaign) or mixture controls. I need things like elevator trim, cannon and machine guns, toggle gunsight, reticle dimmer, and only occasionally things like rockets or bombs, or to jettison drop tanks. My German pilots' Control Menu reflects that, and I don't use a lot of the thirty plus buttons on my HOTAS for them.

On the other hand, when my Russian campaigns move to P-40Es or P-39s, I need my trims and prop pitch, radiator flaps, and I like to tie Weapons 1 and 2 together. Obviously, when I shift to P-38s, I need things like Select Left or Right Engines, Select All Engines, and so on, and these Control menus are designed to reflect that emphasis.

As a rule, I try to keep the key controls like elevator trim, Toggle Gunsight, Toggle Map, flaps, comms, landing gear, Toggle FOV, and so on in the same places, but I set things up according to need otherwise. I never had a problem keeping track of the changes from nationality to nationality, and I suspect most people would find it easy too.

Try creating a couple of different characters to fly on a given side or aircraft type, with their own unique Control Setup. You might like it.

cheers

horseback