PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters

ThePseudokiller
10-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi all, I am one of what I magine is a small minority here, in that I only have the original IL-2. I do not own FB or AEP and have not had any plans to purchase them. However, after hearing some of the criticisms about PF as a stand alone product. I am wondering if I will need to do so in order to enjoy this game. I am not all that enthused about being relegated to strictly online play as I have run into a lot of jerks during online play of various games. I prefer co-op missions and alot of people are into free-for-all style play. I am not new to flight sims by any means as I can vividly recall many hours spent playing the old "Aces" series. I have read many many postings on here and it seems that alot of people are just waiting for a chance to cut someone down when they have a legitimate concern, and or question. I would like to think that the wonderful game that Oleg has created would bring us together....but sometimes I have my doubts. I guess I have gone off on a tangent here....but I am wondering if this game is going to be worthwhile as a whole. I just hope someone can relate to what I have expressed. I hope I won't get many vehement attacks as a result of stating my mind. I take sim games serious..to a point....I am not the type who spends 2000 plus dollars on a system so I can live my life online being a virtual pilot. If I was to spend thousands on anything aviation related it would be to gain a real world pilots license. So please don't fire off any responses about interest or commitment to aviation. I did my time as an aircraft maintainer in the Navy.

Your fellow aviation fan, John

BuzzU
10-26-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm trying to figure out what you're asking. Are you asking if PF stand alone is worth getting? I'd say yes if you like the Pacific Theater, and the planes in it. Taking off from and landing on a carrier is pretty fun, although not easy.

If you like planes like the P-51, P-47, Spits etc. You'll need to get FB/AEP. I like it all, and if you're just offline you can't beat all the missions/campaigns in FB/AEP/PF.

Zeus-cat
10-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Pseudo,

Playing on-line is a lot of fun, but I certainly understand your attitude. I used to play off-line all the time. Now when I play on-line it is co-op missions with my squad. I also play off-line a lot.

I agree with BuzzU. FB/AEP is certainly worth it. A lot of new planes in the game. There are a lot of missions and campaigns to download. I recommend "Straight and True" an IL-2T torpedo bomber campaign by ahh... well me. Get it here.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_campaigns.htm

Zeus-cat

brasil66
10-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you need some medication to enjoy anything in life. Are you seeing a physician? I highly recommend Paxil.

e5kimo
10-26-2004, 09:23 PM
there are still plenty of coops around unfortunately not many are starting through HL.

whether or not PF is worth while as standalone is your call. my opinion is that it is not... the reasons being the unfinished nature of most of the campaigns, the lack of single player missions and most of all the probable lack of online flyers who will opt for a standalone install.
now the offline aspects will hopefully be fixed with a patch. but for the online aspect i would suggest you consider getting the gold pack (fb + aep) and pf. they both cost the same at the moment and imho it is money worth spent.

LuckyBoy1
10-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Ah yes Grasshopper, the age old, is it "worth it" question. Well, it is if you've got a PC with a Gig of RAM, a CPU with at least 512 of cache and an 8 pixel pipeline video card. You don't need the very latest and greatest PC to enjoy the game.

If you have those specs or are willing to upgrade to it, then yes, the game makes it easily into the "worth it" catagory. When you consider hours played vs. hours owned, this game is very cheap. I'd suggest you get IL-2 FB Gold Pack and PF and you'll never regret it.

As far as the online jerks go... yes, they're there in force. You might want to try and find some guys who do the direct connect thing.

heywooood
10-26-2004, 09:30 PM
there will be addons and patches - much free stuff and maybe a small cd to purchase sometime down the road... If you have no patience - are short sighted - narrow minded and incapable of good analytical thought, then by all means skip PF and AEP/FB it is not for you.

On the other hand - if you have paid attention to the posts by Oleg, Ilya, planeater, Penguin and the rest of the modelers and developers that have provided this fine sim...be patient.

and you will be happy.

brasil66
10-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Again...drugs

Tully__
10-27-2004, 02:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzU:
I'm trying to figure out what you're asking. Are you asking if PF stand alone is worth getting? I'd say yes if you like the Pacific Theater, and the planes in it. Taking off from and landing on a carrier is pretty fun, although not easy.

If you like planes like the P-51, P-47, Spits etc. You'll need to get FB/AEP. I like it all, and if you're just offline you can't beat all the missions/campaigns in FB/AEP/PF. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Buzz said, plus if you install Pacific Fighters over Forgotten Battles/AEP you can use any of the downloadable missions designed for IL2, FB, AEP or Pacific Fighters all in the one installation.

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2004, 04:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brasil66:
Sounds like you need some medication to enjoy anything in life. Are you seeing a physician? I highly recommend Paxil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you need to make other people feel bad just to enjoy your own life...

Geez brasil, he specifically pointed out that he is reluctant to try online play because of nasty-hearted brats like you. I checked through your history of posts and like 90% of them are simply unproductive mean-spirited derision.

Perhaps YOU are the one who should be seeking the aid of psychotropics...

Get the *ell off these boards if all you are gonna do is trash people! The last thing that Maddox needs to help them support their fine products are hateful customers like you who are just contributing out of some perverse joy in spreading venom everywhere.

ANYWAY...

PseudoKiller, there are a lot of good people online... You just have to be willing to wade through mean-spirited jerks like the above in order to find the ones who are more emotionally balanced. If you can find nice guys who are part of an online squad or who just play regularly, you can help keep your experiences positive by sticking with servers where those guys play.

Online play is a whole new dimension in realism and fun in this game, I urge you to risk the occasional bad experience in order to get into it!

ThePseudokiller
10-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Hi all,

Well I broke down and bought FB/AEP Gold Pack....been playing it most the night. As for my current system I am running a P4 2.66 GhZ, with 512Mb of RAM, Geforce FX 5200 128Mb vid card. I don't forsee being able to upgrade my system as my wife and I are buying our home on just one income as of a month ago. Hopefully this will change as I'd like to beef up our system. Have to say I was very pleasantly suprised by the interesting aircraft options in FB/AEP....wish I had bought it sooner. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Your fellow aviation fan, John

Bolt40
10-27-2004, 07:58 AM
John , u need to checkout the servers on Hyperlobby , there are some with stringent rules on player behavior , I've seen guys booted for being rude & abrasive & banned for repeated offenses' I fly very little offline , because it's no fun playing against AI . you play against other 'real pilots' your matching skill , wits , ACM , SA against them and if you land with 3 or more kills ,unscratched ..well thats more satisfying to me . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

hernanyork
10-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Brasil66 must learn to play footbol before thalking about planes.

TacticalYak3
10-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Do you have hi-speed Internet John?

While I am sure there are lots of fine folks online, you may want to consider joining a friendly squad like the Fightin' Irish. Once you get to know the rogues it adds to the enjoyment of the game, and ensures a pleasant time while flying.

I think your decision to puchase FB/AEP was a good one. I am still playing the Russian fighter campaigns (like 2-3 times now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif), and certainly enjoyed playing some of the single missions.

Regards

Chuck_Older
10-27-2004, 08:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brasil66:
Sounds like you need some medication to enjoy anything in life. Are you seeing a physician? I highly recommend Paxil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe you should reduce *your* intake?

BuzzU
10-27-2004, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ThePseudokiller:
Hi all,

Well I broke down and bought FB/AEP Gold Pack....been playing it most the night. As for my current system I am running a P4 2.66 GhZ, with 512Mb of RAM, Geforce FX 5200 128Mb vid card. I don't forsee being able to upgrade my system as my wife and I are buying our home on just one income as of a month ago. Hopefully this will change as I'd like to beef up our system. Have to say I was very pleasantly suprised by the interesting aircraft options in FB/AEP....wish I had bought it sooner. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Your fellow aviation fan, John <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good going. AEP will patch FB completely, but AEP has two patches. You need the 2.01 patch, and then the 2.04 patch for some small stuff. The 2.01 patch however adds a lot of planes, so don't miss that one.

If you get PF you don't need to worry about any patches. install it over FB/AEP and you'll be completely patched up.