PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer part,,,,

Ravenspire1
10-21-2004, 06:30 PM
I saw on the FAQ that the game will support multiplayer.
But i was quite suprised when i read it will only be 4 players on each server and on a LAN it can be up to 16.

Question is, why is it so small number like only 4 for the internet?

I have my plans to put up a stand alone server dedicated for sh3 but iam not sure if i want a server to be up and running 24h a day, week after week, just so that only 4 players can connect simultainously.

I want at least it can be 8 players or maximum 16. But i want to choose how many clients i want on the server and dont want to be limited to only 4.

Another question is, is it gone be released a seperate server only prg so we can run a dedicated sh3 server smootley? or is everything incoperated in the game it self?

Iam living far south in Sweden , close to Denmark and have a 100mbits fiberoptic connection so all players from Europe will have a good ping to the server, and even players from US/Canada will have descent ping also.
And i have a server ready to put up also, and a good one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

king_cam
10-22-2004, 09:03 PM
ya i was kind of suprised at the 4 player max as well but then i figured that it must be for a tecknical issue or they wouldnt let 16 on a lan.

I am sure that if there was a possiblility of more then 4 people to play online then the dev. team has looked at it... you should have fath in them

TASKFORCE1x1
10-23-2004, 02:04 AM
I assume that # will increase. Yea thats kinda small. That must of been a modest answer at the time. The only reasoning is to have 56k users be able to play. But I would be all for a fully wideband supported sim/game especially when all of USA will have FTTP/FIOS replacing their copper lines.

jeroen-79
10-23-2004, 04:47 AM
I suppose that this '4 players' is an indication of the networktraffic over a certain connection and not a hardcoded limit of the number of players that can join.

Maybe they could elaborate on the networkrequirements, specify how much bandwidth is required per client up and downstream from the server.

Ravenspire1
10-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Altough i dont think it so hard to change the player value from 4 to 16 if its allready support 16 players over a LAN.

If i dont remember wrong, Doom 3 was released whit 4 players support also but the community quikly came up whit a mode that supported 16 players.

I love to play games over the net and i wish the devs put more effort in the mulitplayer part of sh3. Just imagine if we could play a dynamic campaign.

The flight sim pacific fighters have a real good system of a dynamic campaign.
All your progress are saved and if you die in combat, then you are dead and can not return to the game again whit same char.

Teddy Bar
10-23-2004, 06:24 PM
I am surprised and disappointed that they are wasting code time on multiplayer.

hauitsme
10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teddy Bar:
I am surprised and disappointed that they are wasting code time on multiplayer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How do you propose we have wolfpacks with only 1 submarine? Must be that you have the belief that they never existed! With views like yours, why should the DevTeam even bother doing anything at all?

Teddy Bar
10-23-2004, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hauitsme:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teddy Bar:
I am surprised and disappointed that they are wasting code time on multiplayer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How do you propose we have wolfpacks with only 1 submarine? Must be that you have the belief that they never existed! With views like yours, why should the DevTeam even bother doing anything at all? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hauitsme,
You got me there! Bet me with wit?

Now let's step back for a second and take a deep breath. Are we ready to engage the gray matter yet?

The wolfpacks, will be made up by the AI! Wow who would have thought?

HeibgesU999
10-23-2004, 11:02 PM
I agree. Since there will probably not be SH3 vs DC2 compatibility, unless the convoy defense AI is extremely good, I'm not sure the online portion will get much play.

Put the energy into the offline dynamic campaign.

Drebbel
10-24-2004, 06:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I agree. Since there will probably not be SH3 vs DC2 compatibility, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get that info ?

Dev-team has made it clear that they wanna devellop DC2 if SHIII is a good seller. And it seems logical to make it compatible with SHIII imho.

Ravenspire1
10-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Well i do understand that some people dont play games over the net at all and dont want that function to be incooperated. But an average of 80-90% of the games that comes out today have some kind of multiplayer part.

The game last much longer if you can play it over the net coz each time you do so it wont be the same. It constantly changes.

You can play a single player game for how long?
1 month, or 2 then you are tired of the game.
But in MP you play the game severly months.

I can se the problem to do a descent MP on sh3 coz its not a fps game. But as a costumer i defently want it to be a part of the game.

When i buy a game today i hardley dont play the full single player game but instead i jump out on the net coz to play whit other humans instead of an AI takes a game to another dimension.

But this is just how and what i like in a game.

Some people like to play over the net and some dont but a game should give oportunity to support both.

hauitsme
10-24-2004, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ravenspire1:
...I can se the problem to do a descent MP on sh3 coz its not a fps game... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What is it with all of the 'FPS'ers? How many times must it be beat into your heads that this IS NOT a FPS game, it never has been and it never will be? It's a U-boat sim, and one of the things they had to contend with were the DD's and DE's trying to kill them, plus the famous 'wolfpacks' the U-boats formed. There is not a game out there now nor in the foreseeable future that will be anywhere as random/intelligent as a human player is(AI SUCKS). And there are plenty of people that have no desire to play a sub, they prefer the surface ships, and they would prefer to play against humans too. That 'feature' was one of the points that made SH2/DC so appealing, even though the actual implementation of it was a mess. But as has been pointed out, this is not the same team that did that, so the same mistakes won't be made.

Ravenspire1
10-24-2004, 02:05 PM
I didnt say that sh3 is a fps game and i didnt say I was a fps player. I just stated that sh3 is NOT a fps game. And by that i meantion that its much easier to do the multiplayer part in a fps game than it is to incooperate it to a simulation game.

But ive seen good multiplayer parts in simulation games as well but mostley then on flight sims.
And i just hoped that the devs could come up whit a good multiplayer part even for sh3, that is a simulator game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
And no matter what kind of game it is, when a game have a multiplayer part, it will last longer.

HeibgesU999
10-24-2004, 02:26 PM
It would be very hard to make a multi-platform online game backwards compatible. Unless they have already layed the groudwork already in the code.

Hinted at DC2 yes. Hinted at DC2/SH3 compatibilty....I'm not sure they've done that for sure?

Teddy Bar
10-24-2004, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ravenspire1:
Well i do understand that some people dont play games over the net at all and dont want that function to be incooperated. But an average of 80-90% of the games that comes out today have some kind of multiplayer part.

The game last much longer if you can play it over the net coz each time you do so it wont be the same. It constantly changes.

You can play a single player game for how long?
1 month, or 2 then you are tired of the game.
But in MP you play the game severly months.

I can se the problem to do a descent MP on sh3 coz its not a fps game. But as a costumer i defently want it to be a part of the game.

When i buy a game today i hardley dont play the full single player game but instead i jump out on the net coz to play whit other humans instead of an AI takes a game to another dimension.

But this is just how and what i like in a game.

Some people like to play over the net and some dont but a game should give oportunity to support both. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ravenspire1,
You can play a single player game as long as it continues to provide. Whilst most modern games may not last that long (look at Doom III), I played AOD for over 8 years.

With respect, even if 80-90% of games are comming out multiplayer it does not make the inclussion into every game correct. I also don't see a game of this genre lasting longer due to the multiplayer, a FPS game will.

Ravenspire1
10-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I agree Teddy B¤r http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif That a game in this genre is wery hard to do a descent multiplayer part. I was just hoping for it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hauitsme
10-24-2004, 04:21 PM
I didnt say that sh3 is a fps game and i didnt say I was a fps player. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, you didn't, and I'm sorry if you infered that I called you 'one of those'. It's not that I hate FPS games or the people that play them, I don't(I play some myself). But there have been way too many 'of those' lately that have been demanding that this game should be changed into one. Or into a RPG.

Sorry.

Ravenspire1
10-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Np Hauitsme http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ive been playing a lot of different games during the years and i love thos simulator games and i dont understand why people want to turn this sub sim into a fps game.

Anyone remember silent service for Amiga http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif In that game it all started for me to love sub sim games.

But i do play fps games also, for example i really enjoyed call of duty, but i have plenty of time to play games ( home in sickness) so i buy around 3-4 games a month and its a mixture of different games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But my heart goes for simulator games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and right now iam playing pacific fighters, a fly sim, and its darn hard to land the aircraft on a hangar ship http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hauitsme
10-24-2004, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyone remember silent service for Amiga <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I had it for my C64, which was way before I had my Amiga. GOD I MISS MY AMIGA!! It crashed on me perhaps, and I mean PERHAPS, twice in the four years I had it, unlike 'Windoze', which happens AT LEAST twice a week!!

Silent Service was only one of many sub sims I have played. Microprose ruled the sim market then. Sims are the genre that are dear to my heart. The more 'real' the better.

SailorSteve
10-24-2004, 07:10 PM
I still have my old Atari 520ST, and I still have Silent Service and SS 2 for it. Given all the trouble I've had lately with SHII locking up and crashing, I'm seriously thinking of making space to set it up again. Like your Amigas and Commodores, the Atari was a solid as a rock.

Then again, maybe I'll just stick to Aces. My Microcrash doesn't seem to have any problems running it, or SHI.

Ravenspire1
10-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Hehe On my c 64 i mostley played pirates and now they re-relase that game again. Wonder if i can get the swashbuckling felling back again but i defently gona buy it when it comes out.

I still have my amiga 500 whit the uber power of 0.5 more meg in it hehe. It happend that i use it and play some nostalgic games on it like silent service or Elite frontier http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HelicalPropwash
10-25-2004, 04:46 AM
I, for one, am looking forward to just the multiplayer part of this. From what I have seen of SHIII's game-mechanics (through the snippets shown in the movies to date) there is some serious fun to be had there.

"Multiplayer"... the term may best be known through it's use in some blatently mindless Online FPS titles. Depending on what floats your boat, so to speak, you have everything from death-match twitch and shoot to squad-based action where everybody on the team (ideally) is out after the same goals.

The term can equally be applied to Co-op missions. The games that have great Co-op are rarer. There, a group of players can pit their wits against AI in a coordinated attack. Provided the game's AI is up to it, countless hours of fun can be had, trying out various ways of beating the enemy.

Both Operation Flashpoint and Ilyushin 2 Sturmovik had (have) excellent co-op v AI gaming.

Guys? Don't beat down on FPS'ers. Don't appear as Sub-sim snobs, oblivious to SHIII's obviously attractive features that will surely lure gamers from several other great titles and gametypes.

You do want to game with a fresh people, don't you? You had better get used to the idea pretty soon. SHIII is going to cause quite a bow-wave.

/Peace