PDA

View Full Version : What a fantastic submarine simulator

sdcruz
06-10-2005, 11:16 PM
All I can say is thank you dev team for this wonderful piece of entertainment- This is the first ever sub sim to have:

1. 3D interior
2. AI that differs eg some destroyers have better crew than others
3. Thunder and lightening during storm
4. Crew whisper when Silent Running
5. Faithfully re-created u-boats eg deck guns and AA guns
6. Spectacular damage modelling
7. Dedicated merchant and warship type
8. and the BRILLIANT FREE CAMERA!!!!

the list goes on and on!!!

Wonderful sim! Was worth the $90 AUS dollars - thanks again!

Regards
Shelton.

blue_76
06-10-2005, 11:57 PM
i agree with you, this sim is a first in many aspects of gaming, but more importantly, it has a great potential.

urlybird0
06-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by blue_76:
i agree with you, this sim is a first in many aspects of gaming, but more importantly, it has a great potential.

I'll second that

Ubd

lionheart112
06-11-2005, 12:45 AM
I agree. This is a blast...! I have been doing practice crash dives, playing the German music on the phonograph during the trip to the required Grid sector, and taking tons of screen shots with the brilliant sky scenes.

Cant believe how cool they could make the sunsets and the massive waves and rain squals!

Brilliant...!

JU88
06-11-2005, 01:23 AM
agree with all of that apart from spectacular damage modeling - it just average, but if it was any better i suppose it would hog to much video memory. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Frederf220
06-11-2005, 02:51 AM
Damage modelling doesn't hog video memory :P You're thinking of explosion FX.

A good DM would have more zones, more carefully imputted values, more attributes for each one. Would be entirely CPU and dev effort dependant.

wnt2rd
06-11-2005, 02:52 AM
Word.

JU88
06-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Damage modelling doesn't hog video memory :P You're thinking of explosion FX.

A good DM would have more zones, more carefully imputted values, more attributes for each one. Would be entirely CPU and dev effort dependant.

I was thinking more along the lines of a VISIBLE damage modle, eg a hole in a ships/subs hull or a smashed up bridge/conning tower, this would use memory as it has to keep track of what damage is on what ships and where abouts - for each time you look at it.
Abit like having deformable terrain (eg craters) in FPS games. It uses up huge amounts of memory. \
I know tou can blast objects off the deck of ships and propellers, but the effect is still a fairly basic one. Its epescially bad that there is very little of this modled on the players Unit/sub.

I have no complaints with damage modling as far a physics go. (eg hit a ship bow and it sink bow first.) that aspect of the game is second to none.